pauldconyers

What would you look for in a jerk bait rod?

Educate me, what are ideal characteristics you would look for in a jerkbait rod? While obviously personal preference it seems like a lot of people want something a little shorter, between like 6'6" to 6'10" correct? Is graphite or glass better for this task? What power and action? Braid, fluoro, or mono?

Looking for some education here as I plan on trying some jerk bait fishing for the first time this spring.

I like spinning & casting for jerkbaits ~   both sticks are graphite medium / fast and on the 'shorter end.  6' 9"-10" is the magic spot for me on both - for line 10-15lb braid on spinning gear (suffix 832) and  a 10-12lb big game (green) mono leader about 10-12 ft long.

All 10-12 flouro on casting gear.

:smiley:

A-Jay

The ideal rod would be a long crankbait rod with mono for casting distance and retrieving fish, and a short pool cue with braid for working the bait. 

Because this kind of rod doesn't exist, a 7' XF or F rod rated for 1/2 oz lures with braid and a mono leader is a good compromise.

I prefer spinning to casting because ideal jerkbait weather usually involves a lot of wind, in my experience.

I like casting gear.  I fish a 6-8 and 7-0, both on 10 Lb. Flouro.  I like a light rod, full rear grip that is medium (4 power) power and medium action but very responsive. The blank need to provide that snap so the bait reacts yet have enough forgiveness to keep fish buttoned up.

short butt section so it does not get hung up in jackets or sweat shirts in cooler weather.  shorter rod overall 6'6" works well for my height.  10-12lb FC on a med or med hvy fast casting.

Rod length, handle length and rod action.  I like to begin and end every twitch with some slack and a soft tip paired to a rod that will give a bit in the backbone is desired.  At the low end of the spectrum I find that the current gen Berkley Lightning Rod 6'6" M has the right length and tip for jerkbait work and is only $40 max.  At $200 the upcoming new Megabass Lavente Jerkbait Special is on my radar as well as a more higher end jerkbait stick.

I recently picked up a Powell inferno 6’10” medium moderate fast as a jerkbait/top water rod. I put a Tatula ct type r in 8:1 on it with 40# braid. It’s only seen use with jerkbaits so far and I’ve been using a 12# flouro leader. Before that I was using a 6’6” medium fast with 10# copoly and this new set up is working way better!

Jerkbaits rods vary according to which school of working a jerk bait you fall into. Some guys like flouro or mono only combined with a medium or medium heavy fast action or extra fast action. They desire a faster action rod to get better feel for jerk bait movements with lesser input (shorter strokes). The inherent stretch of the flouro/mono keeps the fish pinned when hooked up. 

The other camp likes medium or mh moderate action rods used with straight braid or braid with a flour/mono leader. With this set up the no stretch braid requires a moderate action rod to help keep the fish pinned after hook up. 

Rod length is dictated by how you work a jerk bait. If you work with downward strokes you will want a shorter rod so your not slapping the water with your rod tip. Usually 6'-0 to 6'-6" length. If you work the rod to the side like I do you can utilize a longer rod like 7'-0 to 7'-6". By working the rod to the side you use your arm more & your wrist less. This helps limit the fatigue factor to a minimum. It also allows you use heavier baits without straining your wrists. I learned how to work a jerk bait with pike/musky size baits up to 3-4 oz in weight so a side movement  with the arm was more necessary than a downward movement with the wrist. 

I like graphite rods best for either rod choice. Graphite gives a more crisp feeling to working the bait than a fiberglass or glass/graphite hybrid.

Good luck with your selection & learning how to use a jerk bait. Jerk bait fishing can be a very rewarding method of catching fish of all species. 

• Like 2

Due to a right wrist problem, I switched to baitcasting this past year and now rely on my left wrist to do the work.  This is not my dominant hand but I’m starting to get better at it...

This week I bought a new rod to help me improve further (I hope).  It’s a Lews Custom “Plus” 6’-7” Medium/Moderate-Fast, jerkbait rod.

The big difference with this rod is the very short handle (10 inches compared to most rods that are 14-15).  This should hopefully prevent the rod butt from banging against my side/forearm all day.  Which for whatever reason is more difficult when not using your dominant hand. 

Dwight summed up another aspect well above - I think Fast/XF rods are better suited with fluro/mono/copoly and Moderate rods with braid.  Being that the Lews is “Moderate-Fast” I’m going to spend the spring experimenting with braid and see if that does the trick...

Excited to try the new short handle stick!!

• Like 1

Short rear grip, light weight, x-fast taper, not so long the slaps the water.  Avid AVC62MXF fits the bill for me.  Works well for spooks and poppers, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm a big fan of the Avid AVC66MF

:fishing-026: