Jump to content
Mccallister25

For those who smoke meat

Recommended Posts

My wife got me a smoker for Christmas. Something Iv wanted for quite a while. Although I love to cook/grill, etc. I’m completely new to smoking. Never attempted. I plan on smoking some wings this weekend, and was curious; when preheating the smoker before any meat is put into it, do you typically preheat with wood? Or is it just kinda like a grill, preheat and put your wood in as your about to actually start the smoking process?

 

Also, what is a general rule of thumb for how much wood to go with? Iv read about a cup, but the responses vary. Seems like my smoker burns the wood up and doesn’t produce smoke for more than about 15 minutes or so. Like I said I’m 100% new to smoking, so any tips are appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've owned several different types of smokers.  Every smoker is different in terms of how much wood to used.  Wood chips are different from wood chunks.  I would start with any recommendations that came with the smoker and then adjust to your personal preferences in the future.  The instructions with my current smoker suggested using much less wood than I was used to using.  I ignored this on my first smoke and used twice what was recommended.  It was a big mistake.  Also everyone has different taste based on regional preferences.  I know people in North Carolina have different beliefs from those of us in Tennessee when it comes to BBQ.  I won't debate those beliefs here as it might violate the forums restrictions on discussing religious topics 😁.

 

If your wood is burning up too quickly,  you might consider soaking it in water overnight before using it.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tennessee Boy said:

I've owned several different types of smokers.  Every smoker is different in terms of how much wood to used.  Wood chips are different from wood chunks.  I would start with any recommendations that came with the smoker and then adjust to your personal preferences in the future.  The instructions with my current smoker suggested using much less wood than I was used to using.  I ignored this on my first smoke and used twice what was recommended.  It was a big mistake.  Also everyone has different taste based on regional preferences.  I know people in North Carolina have different beliefs from those of us in Tennessee when it comes to BBQ.  I won't debate those beliefs here as it might violate the forums restrictions on discussing religious topics 😁.

 

If your wood is burning up too quickly,  you might consider soaking it in water overnight before using it.  

 

Great reaponse. Thanks! I’ll just go with what Iv heard and start with about a cup of chips. I’ll adjust accordingly. Are you letting your smoker get up to desired temp before adding your wood, or letting it preheat with the wood already inside?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two smokers.

 

One is a big barrel smoker with a firebox on the side.  With it I wait till the charcoal is hot before adding the wood and the meat.

 

The second is a stainless steel electric.  I put the meat and wood in and close it up before plugging it in.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i use the chunks. i soak them for a couple hours minimum and place them on the coals when i place the meat in the smoker (and as needed if i’m doing a butt). not during the pre heat. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lo n slo said:

i use the chunks. i soak them for a couple hours minimum and place them on the coals when i place the meat in the smoker (and as needed if i’m doing a butt). not during the pre heat. 

 

Thank you sir! Exactly what I was lookin for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What type smoker do you have?

 

Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pond fisher said:

What type smoker do you have?

 

Ken

 

It’s a Masterbuilt propane smoker. Can’t think of the exact model off the top of my head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like already suggested, you should definitely be soaking your wood in water at least a solid hour or two before use if not overnight, and you can add the wood 10-15 minutes before you add the food not during the preheat.

 

I do have a recipe suggestion. Back when I used to eat meat, I made this somewhat regularly and it was always a hit. Get a chipotle based hot sauce --- Cajohns Bourbon Infuesed Chipotle Habanero is the best I've found and either a pork roast or (beef) spoon roast and soak in the hot sauce. Then smoke with hickory or mesquite wood chips until medium rare.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boomstick said:

 

 

I do have a recipe suggestion. Back when I used to eat meat, I made this somewhat regularly and it was always a hit. Get a chipotle based hot sauce --- Cajohns Bourbon Infuesed Chipotle Habanero is the best I've found and either a pork roast or (beef) spoon roast and soak in the hot sauce. Then smoke with hickory or mesquite wood chips until medium  rare. 

 

That actually sounds really good lol. I’ll have to try that out. Thanks for the suggestion. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mccallister25 said:

 

That actually sounds really good lol. I’ll have to try that out. Thanks for the suggestion. 

I should clarify, if you get a pork roast, you won't want to cook that medium rare.

 

Also look up Baltimore Pit Beef. That's very good too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you have gotten a lot of great advice here, play with different woods, as you will find completely different flavors from sweet to sharp. wrap up things after it takes all the smoke it will. you will retain a lot more moistness. good luck with it they are a lot of fun  don't forget to write down all recipiets that you play with, it sucks when you find something that you like and can't remember how much of each item you used.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every time this thread title pops up in my cue the question of 

"Are they making Meat papers now or are we stuffing pork chops into a meat pipe ?"

Hits me hard.

439297FC-057B-4C5E-A006-1C3699845085.jpeg.e5e693241b336e11c20923f4c30a2e97.jpegSorry I can't help it - I have a problem.

:tongue3:

A-Jay

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to soak, but I don't anymore.

 

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/myth-soak-your-wood-first

 

I pre-heat, then put the wood and meat on at the same time. I want it to start smoking right away, then add more as I go.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a general rule, especially with pork, you want a cool fire (250*) for the first hour.

For the remainder of time I try to keep my temperature 275-300*.  Your wood should

be smoking prior to putting on the meat and ONLY SMOKE for the first hour.  My baby

backs are perfect in 4 1/2 hours.  

 

:love-093:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YouTube Aaron Franklin Barbecue 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is just a tall Cylinder with racks in it. Start a fire in the bottom and put the meat on top! Keep adding more wood as needed to keep temp in ideal range. Most of the smoke flavor gets into the meat in the first 2 -3 hours so after that I worry about temp and heat more than smoke 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing forum

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×