Heartland

Airbrushing Hard Baits

Been some conversation recently about equipment and materials needed to start airbrushing crank baits or other hard baits.   I would like to see the work of others on this site.  Painted hard baits, jigs, spinner baits .....     These are a couple that I have done over the Holiday break, I ordered a few KO blanks and have been working on those and took a break to paint these while I had everything out.  I chose these patterns as the result of another thread.    Far from perfect but certainly usable.   I used Bomber Fat Free Shad and a DD22 that were in bad shape to create these.   I love the sound of the plastic and rattles in the older FFS  baits.     Anyway my versions of LC Copper Perch and Bull Brim.

20190104_164420 (2).jpg

They look good, I am still trying to learn how to airbrush baits as I have zero artistic talent.

Allen

2 hours ago, Munkin said:

They look good, I am still trying to learn how to airbrush baits as I have zero artistic talent.

Allen

Start with a good base coat, I have started to use Rust-Oleum 2X flat white or flat black for a base coat.  Bonds to plastic, covers fantastic, and I have had no problem at all laying acrylics on top of it.  Much quicker and a lot less trouble in my opinion.  Find something you can practice on, work on air pressure and paint thickness and the correlation between the two to dial in a nice even flow of paint.  Do some research online and mix your own reducer and cleaner, it will save you lots of money and it works just as well as far as I can tell.  A lot of people practice shooting paint on mirrors, if you can get a good coverage on a mirror without it running or spattering then you are dialed in good.    Dry between every coat with a hair dryer, as a rule of thumb, sometimes you may want the blending effect that shooting wet can provide.   Take your time, never be in a hurry, and remember if you don't like it, just wash it off, a little water and rubbing with a paper towel will take you right back to your base coat, use alcohol for anything that is being stubborn.    Watch the videos on line, they will help you more than you can imagine.   Good Facebook group to join is, "Brotherhood of Custom Crankbait Painters"  they display their works of art and tell you step by step what colors and how they achieved the results.    /Soapbox