pauldconyers

Budget-minded 5 speed crank reel suggestions?

Looking to getting into doing some crank bait fishing this year at some local lakes. Probably some 5XDs and 6XDs, probably nothing as big as a 10XD but I guess I would like a reel that could handle something as beefy as that. Looking for a budget 5 speed crank reel suggestions. I've heard that some of the Abu Garcia Orra Winch models are pretty good bang for the buck. Be it that or something else got anything you recommend? If it matters I have a 7'6" Lews David Fritts glass crank rod and I will probably pair it up with 12lb Seaguar Invizx fluoro.

Have also heard good things about the winch.  Diawa Tatula 100 in 6 speed is my big crank bait reel and I love it.  Could  not be happier.  

Have you ever owned a 5 speed?  It seems to be the rage for cranks but to me a 6 speed is a bit better.  5 speed really has to be cranked like crazy to get a 5xd moving at the end of a long cast.

5 speed? There a few 2 speed reels on the market.

Tom

Lew’s Speed Spool LFS

Model: SS1SA

Gear ratio: 5.6:1

$99.99

• Like 1

I meant like a 5:3 or 5:4 or 5:1, whatever. To both of your points I have not experience with this kind of fishing and thought for baits that big I should go with a 5 versus a 6. If I am wrong please let me know. Just looking for like a $80 and below option.

KastKing, how is Kastking not mentioned yet? Royale Legend Elite is what you need.

Pflueger Supreme on sale for $40 on their website right now. I use one on my deep cranking rod in the 5.4 ratio.

http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/pflueger-reels-baitcast-reels-low-profile/

Lews BB1 you can find them online for around 120$ I use these for all my cranking needs. 

On 1/4/2019 at 9:43 PM, WRB said:

5 speed? There a few 2 speed reels on the market.

Tom

Gonna wager they are not low profile bait casting reels 

38 minutes ago, LionHeart said:

Gonna wager they are not low profile bait casting reels 

I have a 5500 2 speed, and an XLT 2 speed, both do a great job keeping papers from flying around, fishing, not so much. He meant gear ratio, 5.something...

On 1/4/2019 at 10:50 PM, pauldconyers said:

I meant like a 5:3 or 5:4 or 5:1, whatever. To both of your points I have not experience with this kind of fishing and thought for baits that big I should go with a 5 versus a 6. If I am wrong please let me know. Just looking for like a $80 and below option.

I’m just going to throw this one out there. Five speeds are going to be harder and harder to find. I believe it is because as the reels (especially the spools) get smaller and smaller, it takes at least 6:1 gears to bring in as much line as a 5:1 reel with a bigger spool. A small diameter spool like most reels have now, is probably too slow to work at 5:1. When I hear 5:1, I think the spool has to be pretty big. I’d go with a 6, for slow, unless it’s a pretty large reel.

The Revo X is a 5 speed, good price 7.94 ounces. Or the MaxToro is a 5 speed that can be had for $75 on eBay, but it’s 12+ ounces! These are both big reels with advertised stats for 50lb braid. I have a bunch of different Revos, they will hold up to anything. 

2 things about gear ratio's, 1) IPT inch per reel handle turn and ) reel line capacity.

Idealy you want the IPT abut 24" when the reel is filled with line they way you use it and maintain the at casting distance no less then 20".

Tom