Jump to content
BigRed1977

Spinner Bait Popularity

Recommended Posts

When I was a kid everyone fished spinner baits. Now it seems like few use them much less talk about them. I like because to me they are the perfect search bait. I can fish slow and drag the bottom and see what’s there. I can fish them through the entire water column and it seems that bass still hit them. I like crankbaits too but I don’t use them as a search bait because the snag a lot more often. Chatter baits don’t seem a versatile to me. So what’s the consensus? Are spinner baits dead? Do other baits work better? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I got to the reservoir yesterday, my buddy had forgotten his phone. He asked me to take a pic of his fish, an 8 lb 3 oz monster (2nd photo)  he caught on this bait. I caught the bass in the 1st pic on the exact same model spinnerbait at the same place in late fall.

PB.jpg

8-3.jpg

WEGS.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use them all the time.  If I'm fishing a river or lake I use a double willow leaf blade bait with a skirt.  If I'm fishing tidal marsh, I tend to do better using a single Colorado blade with a plastic minnow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am very glad folks have forgotten the spinnerbait!  Big Red, when we were kids and everyone threw spinnerbaits all the time, fish got wise and watched them go by.  

Reel ess’ War Eagle is the juice, along with Booyah’s 4 blade baits.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Troy85 said:

I use them all the time.  If I'm fishing a river or lake I use a double willow leaf blade bait with a skirt.  If I'm fishing tidal marsh, I tend to do better using a single Colorado blade with a plastic minnow.

Troy, ever use spinnerbaits for saltwater species?

 

I would think the redfish and speckled trout would hit them.

 

Now post some pics of Mardi Gras for us to enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sam said:

Troy, ever use spinnerbaits for saltwater species?

 

I would think the redfish and speckled trout would hit them.

 

Now post some pics of Mardi Gras for us to enjoy!

Oh yeah, redfish and trout both enjoy eating up spinner baits.  Actually, my spinner bait of choice for tidal bass fishing is the "Red Fish Magic" made by Strike King.  Strike King also makes "Speckled trout magic" which bass, trout and redfish will all willingly eat. 

 

Haha! I usually try to go on vacation during Mardi Gras, but I'll see what i can do!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Troy85 said:

Oh yeah, redfish and trout both enjoy eating up spinner baits.  Actually, my spinner bait of choice for tidal bass fishing is the "Red Fish Magic" made by Strike King.  Strike King also makes "Speckled trout magic" which bass, trout and redfish will all willingly eat. 

 

Haha! I usually try to go on vacation during Mardi Gras, but I'll see what i can do!

I made this bad boy up from a redfish spinnerbait and one of @cadman's custom grass jigs he made for me in gold shiner color. I figured it's worth a try since gold SB's work so well for me. I haven't tried it yet though.

Gold Redfish SB.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spring-Fall I keep one on the deck. I prefer them over bladed jigs around any wood or when water clarity is better than 2'. Fished with a guy on his home lake and I had one on. He told me those don't work here. No more than 10min. later I caught 2 bass in a row off a wind blown point, he never said a word🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Troy85 said:

If I'm fishing tidal marsh, I tend to do better using a single Colorado blade with a plastic minnow.

 

 

IMG_20170929_115922.jpg.0e77b9bf063e33ba20d2c542a9bc0ad6 (1).jpg

imagejpeg_0.jpg

imagejpeg_1_1.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Catt that looks like a War Eagle to me.  That's about all I throw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't think they're dead, but I haven't carried a single one in the boat for at least a decade, or even thrown one in that time. May have to go buy one this year :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not a big fan of spinnerbaits.

Spinnerbaits 001.JPG

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use them a lot . Spinnerbaits and buzzbaits dominated my catches this past year . I guess close to 75 percent of my bass were caught on one or the other .

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Several respectable brown bass have choked my spinnerbait offerings the past few seasons - including my PB.

large.169618613_AntzlProof1BR.jpg.5743e2287e53d9a4e6e1da77c1925bb7.jpg

Makes it hard to stop throwing it. 

:smiley:

A-Jay

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

Several respectable brown bass have choked my spinnerbait offerings the past few seasons - including my PB.

large.169618613_AntzlProof1BR.jpg.5743e2287e53d9a4e6e1da77c1925bb7.jpg

Makes it hard to stop throwing it. 

:smiley:

A-Jay

Ain’t that the truth! Not much beats the crushing hit of a northern smallie that is on the plus side of 5lbs. I swear sometimes it feels like they’re gonna rip the rod out of my hands. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just signed up and was filling out my profile today and what did I say in my description..."love fishing topwater but looking to use spinnerbait and chatterbaits this summer".  So this post is perfect and why I joined this forum.   I am looking for ideas in murky to low visibility spinner colors.  Am I just looking to get white?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still use them and they are one of my favorite baits.

 

Allen

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll always have spinnerbaits in my tackle box. Versatile, great lures.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jig Man said:

Catt that looks like a War Eagle to me.  That's about all I throw.

All the baits you make and you buy factory spinnerbaits?

 

Allen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Munkin said:

All the baits you make and you buy factory spinnerbaits?

 

Allen

The monkey doesn't care if you grow your own, he's still getting his.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, reason said:

The monkey doesn't care if you grow your own, he's still getting his.

He bites me in different ways! Picked up 150lbs of lead this past week in order to pour on the 500 flippin jig hooks I picked up at a great price.

 

Allen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Munkin said:

He bites me in different ways! Picked up 150lbs of lead this past week in order to pour on the 500 flippin jig hooks I picked up at a great price.

 

Allen

Let me know if you need lead. We go through 8-16 oz sinkers like water. Have two guys casting full time and they can't keep up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Won a couple tournaments last year on spinnerbaits, including our end of the year fish off. Looking at buying a mold for some bigger spinnerbaits to make some big thumping blade baits because they're impossible to find in the blade/skirt combos I want.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang nammit! Just the word spinnerbait brings back that haunting memory of the largest bass I've ever hooked and sadly lost. Was way back around 1990 and she was a big girl. DD and then some. 

 

Oh the horror! I close my eyes and I can see my cast land next to a large flooded bush. As the chartreuse and white double willow leaf slowly flutters into the depths she  comes charging out from under the bush and inhales it. She goes right and weaves between flooded timber as I'm doing a full speed hard left. I guess I should have mentioned I had just gotten a Minn Kota auto pilot trolling motor and had given up on the spot so I set it for a really hard left turn at full speed as I made one last cast. It all happened so fast and by the time I regained control of the boat she'd weaved thru some tall flooded timber. I did manage to turn her and finagle her thru the timber, but sadly my spinnerbait got wedged on the very last piece. Fishing solo I'm in the front of the boat and my nets in the very back. I watched helplessly for what seamed like an eternity as she slowly wiggled herself free. I got 2 really good looks at the big girl a no questions asked DD and then some....Ugh! 

 

I do have a few spinnerbaits I bought last year but haven't used them much yet. I'll give them a shot again this year and see if I have any luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Won a couple tournaments last year on spinnerbaits, including our end of the year fish off. Looking at buying a mold for some bigger spinnerbaits to make some big thumping blade baits because they're impossible to find in the blade/skirt combos I want.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Freshwater-Spinnerbait-Hidden-Weight-4-mold-5-8-3-4-1-oz-CNC-Aluminum/123547886933?hash=item1cc4072555:g:Xt4AAOSwzvlW~NRZ:rk:4:pf:0

 

I have this one if you want to borrow it?

 

Allen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×