J_Chase54

Redfish Setup?

I am going to be in South Carolina this summer and I'm interested in fishing for some redfish/seatrout. Right now i have a 6'6 medium rod with 25-pound line. I will be bank fishing with jigs the majority of the time. I am new to fishing for redfish so just wondering if I need to change anything.

Medium power will be fine, in all honesty, it's what I believe in using the most for redfish and seatrout.  You won't need 25 pound line, that's a bit excessive.  I use 14-17# fluoro/copoly on my casting outfits and 20# braid to 14-17# fluoro on my spinning rigs.

6'6" will be okay, but you might want a longer rod to add more distance especially considering you're bank bound.

I recommend you grab some Egret Baits Vudu Shrimp, some 3/8oz jig heads, and some YUM Pulse Swimbaits. 

10 hours ago, Hook2Jaw said:

recommend you grab some Egret Baits Vudu Shrimp,

Very popular on the Gulf coast along with Berkley Gulp.

12# test Berkley Big Game or Cajun Red Cast® 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Catt said:

Very popular on the Gulf coast along with Berkley Gulp.

12# test Berkley Big Game or Cajun Red Cast® 

All our reds on the Georgia coast gravitate towards a lot of oyster shell, but I have landed them on 12# Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon.  Those Vudu Shrimp are a slayer.  I've been Texas and Carolina rigging Z-Man Scented Shrimpz with great success.  They have that stink of the Gulp, but they last through the trash fish!  Also, they're cheaper.

I'm finally starting to convert some of my inshore fishing friends to using things besides shrimp on jigheads and paddletail swimbaits from the saltwater aisles, as I believe more R&D goes into our bass baits!

@Hook2Jaw 

Lots of oyster reefs Louisiana/Texas Gulf Coast, that's part of the game.

I'll tell y'all what doesn't work!

Braid!

That's stuff hard to cut with scissors but a Bull Reds Gill plate...like butter!

• Like 1

@Catt most folks around here use braid to fluoro leaders.  I agree though, braid to lure would be a terrible idea with all the jagged, delicious oysters.  I've had no problem landing them with straight fluoro or mono.  I still have yet to try a copolymer line, but it won't be long.

I wish more companies would take Z-Man's initiative and start designing more soft plastics that imitate shrimp. 

@Hook2Jaw I've done well with Maxima Ultragreen, it's hard to find around here.

We do very well with DOA shrimp, Live Target makes a good one, Rage Tail had one.

I Don't use leaders in fresh or salt 😉

@Catt, I believe in the DOA and Vudu for the pre-rigged shrimp, but I keep a wide berth on the Livetargets.  What I want is more worm styled shrimp imitations that I can rig with a drop shot or worm hook.

I use leaders on my spinning setups and my swimbait rod.

• Like 1

6’6”-7’ ML or M spinning rod, 2-3000 sized spinning reel spooled with 10-20 lb braid

• Like 1