7 hours ago, TNReb said:

Does Digitaka ship from the US or Japan?  I looked all over their site and couldnt confirm.

If they come from Japan, how long does shipping typically take?

The last one I ordered from digitaka it took about 9 days. They wait 3 days before it ships idk why. But those days are worth it for the money you save.

3 hours ago, CrankFate said:

Great reel. Too chromed out bling for my tastes. But I don’t believe claims that the gears are worse. People said that about stainless gears, I have reels with stainless gears, they stay truer to how they felt fresh out of the box than brass. I’d expect that to be the case with aluminum, because the “aluminum” in a metanium is probably that hard light titanium feeling low mass metal found in most newer reels in the worm and gearshaft and not forged aluminum foil.

The issue is well documented and the gear is indeed aluminum.  Many aluminum gears become geary feeling and noisy over time compared to brass but the Metanium micro module aluminum gears are a particularly bad offender with even reports of broken teeth.  Fortunately this great reel has a remidy in the Curado K brass micro module main gear.  I believe they are compatible with the 13 Metanium too.

9 hours ago, BaitFinesse said:

The issue is well documented and the gear is indeed aluminum.  Many aluminum gears become geary feeling and noisy over time compared to brass but the Metanium micro module aluminum gears are a particularly bad offender with even reports of broken teeth.  Fortunately this great reel has a remidy in the Curado K brass micro module main gear.  I believe they are compatible with the 13 Metanium too.

I just don’t believe these types of claims. I could be wrong, since I don’t have this reel, but with the internet and grey market items, there have to be lots of bootlegs and refurbs out there. I don’t believe a top of the line reel from a top brand would have that problem. The manufacturer would change the problem part. I’ve never personally seen any problem like this with any product (especially rods which are easier to break). I’m sure it could happen, but even my fake $18 Chinese plastic reels don’t have these types of problems. If anything, these reports are all the reason it’s best to stick to legitimate sellers. Meanwhile, my Abus all have a Geary sound and feel fresh out of the box and they’re brass!! 

The only thing i could see causing sound, especially on micro gear teeth, is grease. Grease causes noise and grip on small teeth, which is why I don’t grease these parts on small reels that only see freshwater. Even plastic teeth will get Geary once greased. The sound of grease on a small plastic worm gear absolutely ticks me off every turn of the handle.

Edit: hey I didn’t say “ticks” me off!

I also own JDM Met Mgls. I was a little concerned about the spool being a little more shallow than the US version. That was not worth the price difference as I got mine new from ebay for $265. It also holds an entire 150 yard spool of seaguar 30lb smackdown! 

On 1/11/2019 at 10:45 PM, LonnieP said:

You can buy a JDM Metanium for 295 from Digitaka

i have ordered 5 reels from them in the past (including Met MGL). gets to my house quicker than TW.

2 hours ago, CrankFate said:

I just don’t believe these types of claims. I could be wrong, since I don’t have this reel, but with the internet and grey market items, there have to be lots of bootlegs and refurbs out there. I don’t believe a top of the line reel from a top brand would have that problem. The manufacturer would change the problem part. I’ve never personally seen any problem like this with any product (especially rods which are easier to break). I’m sure it could happen, but even my fake $18 Chinese plastic reels don’t have these types of problems. If anything, these reports are all the reason it’s best to stick to legitimate sellers. Meanwhile, my Abus all have a Geary sound and feel fresh out of the box and they’re brass!! 

The only thing i could see causing sound, especially on micro gear teeth, is grease. Grease causes noise and grip on small teeth, which is why I don’t grease these parts on small reels that only see freshwater. Even plastic teeth will get Geary once greased. The sound of grease on a small plastic worm gear absolutely ticks me off every turn of the handle.

Edit: hey I didn’t say “ticks” me off!

Grease actually smoothens out and quiets rough and noisy gear sets.  There has been a lot of discussion on what is the best grease to use to get rid of the Metanium Buzz even if temporary.

There tons of discussion of the issue and how to remidy it put there. Worth while reads:

http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?t=76305

https://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=75776

http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?t=74837

https://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=77338

• Like 1

Had the Metanium MGL and still have the Chronarch.

For the money, I would definetely go with the Chronarch. Overall I actually think it is the better reel. It is more robust (Brass gears), it is more compact for palmability and the coating is much more robust (once the silver coating of the Metanium has scratches it looks really bad). 

After roughly 5 months my Metanium also started to feel grindy, the Chronarch did not.

If they were the same price, I would still go with the Chronarch!

3 hours ago, BaitFinesse said:

Grease actually smoothens out and quiets rough and noisy gear sets.  There has been a lot of discussion on what is the best grease to use to get rid of the Metanium Buzz even if temporary.

There tons of discussion of the issue and how to remidy it put there. Worth while reads:

http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?t=76305

https://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=75776

http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?t=74837

https://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=77338

I have a love hate relationship with grease. I try not to use it, where possible, in low profile baitcasters. I do a tiny dot of ReelX on the main gear.

3 minutes ago, freelancer27 said:

For the money, I would definetely go with the Chronarch. Overall I actually think it is the better reel. It is more robust (Brass gears), it is more compact for palmability and the coating is much more robust (once the silver coating of the Metanium has scratches it looks really bad). 

After roughly 5 months my Metanium also started to feel grindy, the Chronarch did not.

I was looking at this reel, but decided on the Aldebaran, because in that price range, it better be light! Now I’m stuck with the problem of needing a light rod for small baits to put it on.

14 hours ago, freelancer27 said:

By the way, I ordered the Metanium yesterday. I would think that with this being a $400 reel that it shouldn’t have these problems. 

I just had it sent back and got a refund

Edited by Patrickcatalano
Change of mind
  • Like 1