Got the new Bassmaster today,Alot of new faces in there.Some pretty good info.Times are changing.

Did you notice the shot across the bow in the article by David Brown (also on their website).  It is about catching larger fish in winter and states in the byline "Anyone can catch a bunch of dinks, but who wants More Little Fish?".  By capitalizing each word of "More Little Fish", they are definitely referencing MLF.

I think that is a smart way of differentiating themselves.  While I do enjoy watching MLF, it does seem a little cheesy when compared to an Elite event.  I personally like to catch numbers of fish as opposed to the five biggest I can, but I never consider what I am doing to be akin to professional fishing.  Pro's in any sport are pro's because they do things that non-pros can't.  I'd say that most any decent bass fisherman can find a school of keeper bass and load the boat (which can be a lot of fun), but these same amateurs can't consistently catch limits of 3 & 4 lb fish for multiple days. 

MLF has some good ideas and a niche for some specialty tournaments, but I don't see them being the top organization in their current format.  I believe tournaments like Texas Fest are the future, where the five largest count and fish are released immediately (with a few lunkers brought back for the crowd).

• Like 3

Yes i did,Gonna be a interesting year.

Personally I think that the Mlf format could be just as hard if not harder than the standard format. The whole three different lake three different day format is gonna be tough in a standard multi day tournament you have time to figure your pattern and perfect it to try to put the 5 biggest fish in your well everyday. Where as fishing a different body of water every day is gonna make it almost impossible to pattern fish out. I say this because they are coming to the raleigh area this spring fishing three different lakes that could not be MORE different from each other. Shearon harris is a hydrilla powerplant lake thats fairly clear. Falls has mainly offshore and timber structure with submerged roads. and Jordan lake has very little shoreline cover with some emergent grass and flooded timber. This will make a hard few days of fishing for sure i know from experience. 😂😉

To me the difference between MLF and BASS is akin to slow pitch softball vs. major league baseball .

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, scaleface said:

To me the difference between MLF and BASS is akin to slow pitch softball vs. major league baseball .

Exactly.  It's like someone said,  lets do a reality TV show where major league baseball players join the local parks softball league.  Then the show was so successful that the major league players decided to quit baseball for good to play softball.

• Like 3

I just joined B.A.S.S. today...For $15 I figured why not..

• Like 2

I don't think the MLF format and rules make winning any "easier". We may see some anglers who previously haven't done as well do better or even dominate, but the cream always rises to the top, and the best of the best will adapt and find a way. Ever see the guy on the foul line, or about to kick a field goal with 2 seconds on the clock with the game on the line? They could probably make them non shalantly over and over in practice, when it counts? whole different kettle of fish.

• Like 1

I was given a Life B.A.S.S. Membership in 1968 and have watch the organization grow, change ownership several times and they will survive on legacy alone. New names a few old faces and new stars will be borne. This years Classic will be very interesting to watch. MLF has had a major impact on both B.A.S.S. and WFL, both are scrambling to offer TV audiences something to watch and that advertisers can support.

Tom

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Abby said:

I always look forward to getting my Bassmaster magazine out of the mailbox.Even Raymond Reddington enjoys Bassmaster..

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Abby said:

You won't regret it. I've been a member since 1985. Like "flatcreek" said, I look forward to my new issue every month.

8 hours ago, OCdockskipper said:

While I do enjoy watching MLF, it does seem a little cheesy when compared to an Elite event. 

I think we'll see a different strategy when they are fishing the first tournament in Kissimmee. That's BIG bass territory and I think at least a few will try for quality over quantity. In a lot of events I saw last year a big bass for those lakes was 5 or 6 pounds. In Florida we're looking at 8-10 pound bigguns.

It would be a really interesting championship if both strategies had paid off in the qualifying rounds.