I've used 15 lbs before for 3/8 bladed jigs but find my casting distance  suffered. Anyone use 12 lbs instead? Anyone know the breaking strength  of 12lbs?  I know you probably can tow a truck with the 15lbs. Lol. Played around with 14 lbs  XT as well. 

1 hour ago, bassheel said:

I've used 15 lbs before for 3/8 bladed jigs but find my casting distance  suffered. Anyone use 12 lbs instead? Anyone know the breaking strength  of 12lbs?  I know you probably can tow a truck with the 15lbs. Lol. Played around with 14 lbs  XT as well. 

don't know breaking strength, but TW lists the diameter of 12lb CXX as .0148", which is approximately the diameter of 15lb Trilene Big Game (.015") and that's what I use for bladed jigs. I'm sure the breaking strength is over 15lb.

You could easily go down to 10# or even 8# and be fine. CXX breaking strength is so mislabeled (understated), it isn't funny. I've seen test data showing that their "10 pound line" (around .014x diameter) breaks around 20 pounds.

PLine CXX 15 lb test is .016D compared to Sunline Armillo 25 lb test at .016D, diameter matters.

PLine CXX hit the market in the mid 80's and was very popular line out west. I was using Big Game back then and gave CXX a try as it was being touted so highly. My 1st impression was it was a high memory copolymer line, I used 12 lb. After a day's using it cranking I noticed the line was turning opaque white color due to water absorbsion, tested the knot strength by giving it a quick pull and it broke easily. First and last time fishing with CXX.

Tom

I use the 12 on my kayak rod for spinnerbaits and bladed jigs, it's plenty strong.