Kenneth Chang

What pound fluorocarbon for trout?

Is this for stream trout (brookies, browns, rainbows) or lake dwellers (lake, larger rainbows, steelhead)?

For the former, I'd suggest 4#, for the others, 10#-12#

Some might suggest 2# for the stream trout, but it's too 'loose' and apt to break off.

1 hour ago, MN Fisher said:

Is this for stream trout (brookies, browns, rainbows) or lake dwellers (lake, larger rainbows, steelhead)?

For the former, I'd suggest 4#, for the others, 10#-12#

Some might suggest 2# for the stream trout, but it's too 'loose' and apt to break off.

Just fishing for some stocked ones

2 minutes ago, Kenneth Chang said:

Just fishing for some stocked ones

Again. It depends on what species and the size when they're dropped into the water. While I HAVE landed some 4-5# Rainbows on my UL, it's not for everyone. It's a long-tough battle to get a fish who's weight is at or even slightly above the test-poundage of the line into the boat/kayak/canoe or onshore.

4# unless they're really large fish. If you're fishing power bait it probably won't float with fluoro though.

I fish 4# Fluro for Stream & River Rainbows and it does just fine. I pretty much fish Marabou Jigs exclusively, so I don’t really need mono for floating baits. And if I’m not throwing a Marabou, which is rare; I will throw an in-line spinner of some sorts.

Now, if I’m going to target some big Browns, I probably wouldn’t have 4# spooled on.