wasabi_VA

How to adjust for pond bite that went cold with cold snap?

I recently gained bank access to a small 5 acre pond. The first few trips occurred during fairly mild weather and I was excited to find the pond had a decent supply of quality fish. I caught 6 to 8 fish in just a few hours across several visits, most fish caught nearer to the bank.

Then earlier this week the weather turned cold again. I skipped the first couple days of the cold snap but have gone twice the past few days. Each trip was a skunk, not even a bite. As before I continued to throw the salamander and smaller jigs that previously produced, and because of the pond's small size I was able to target shallow, medium and deep depths. I figured the fish had gone deep, but if they did they had lockjaw. I switched baits and colors, even throwing a small rattle trap.

Any suggestions on what the pattern might be for a small pond cold snap bite?

Wait until spring!

But seriously, folks. Try a ned rig fished really slow in the deep water and in transitional depths.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Koz said:

Wait until spring!

That's how I do it. Actually small bodies of water are less thermically stable than larger ones, so react quicker to warming and cooling trends. A couple of warm sunny days, and voila!