Jmp_37

Walleye/Crappie

Say you just rolled up to one of the spots circled in red, how and where would you start fishing them? And say the wind was blowing to the east ->, would you fish the green or yellow side?

8F5AA827-64E5-4C77-8B08-FCE02BD73EBE.jpeg

What time of year? I'd probably fish the flats in cold water ice out/ice up and drops in warm water. 

Summer, I have fished the point in the summer with no real technique and caught perch and walleyes but not as consistent as I’d like too

Are you marking any bait?

I am not, the main forage in the lake seems to be leeches and crawfish

If you know the lake has a good population of walleyes and crappies, I think bait is the first thing you need to find.

Crappie here tend to be more cover oriented like a largemouth. So if you scan those drops and find some wood or cover of some sort, that would be a good place to start. Not sure about where you are, but our walleye run the flats in early summer and switch to drops mid summer. I'd start on top of the points and work out towards the end, either pulling jigs or a bottom bouncer/spinner rig and see if you can find active fish. Trolling cranks or bottom bouncers is a good way to try to contact active fish and then slow down and try to jig the area. I'm guessing you might be dealing with a lot of offshore weeds so you might look for a hard weedline and try jigging that for both of them. 

18 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Crappie here tend to be more cover oriented like a largemouth. So if you scan those drops and find some wood or cover of some sort, that would be a good place to start. Not sure about where you are, but our walleye run the flats in early summer and switch to drops mid summer. I'd start on top of the points and work out towards the end, either pulling jigs or a bottom bouncer/spinner rig and see if you can find active fish. Trolling cranks or bottom bouncers is a good way to try to contact active fish and then slow down and try to jig the area. I'm guessing you might be dealing with a lot of offshore weeds so you might look for a hard weedline and try jigging that for both of them. 

Agree and disagree. After the spawn, the fish will follow the forage. Walleye, pike and crappie spawn in colder water than other fish. Depending on forage, crappie and walleye could stay shallow weeks after the spawn and the crappie will leave well before the walleye.

I agree with cover and crappies. They are addicted to it. I'd hit every tree and boat dock/lift around no matter what the time of year. Stick and move is my motto for catching panfish and my livewell pics prove it. Keep moving until you find them.  

Were I fishing that area for walleyes, I'd head north to the steep drop that is not circled and drag a jig shallow to deep.