Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone!

 

Im looking for opinions on the Shimano Slx.

 

I just got a helium 3 and need a lighter reel to match without breaking the bank. This has a good color scheme and is definitely affordable.. 

 

If this isnt a good choice, then any other options would be nice!

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say the SLX is one of your best options for the money. Matt Allen and Tim Little from Tactical Bassin do a review on this reel and the rod as well. At that price point, I would have a difficult time trying to find a reel of that quality. My only other recommendation would be to look at a Daiwa Tatula CT.

 

https://www.tacticalbassin.com/blog/buyers-guide-best-rodreel-combos-under-200

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't say much on the carbonlite as I've never owned one, personally. I've heard good things about the johnny morris rods, but haven't heard much on the reels. In my own opinion, if I were to spend money on a lower end rod/reel, I would stick with the name brands like the Shimano's, Daiwa's, St. Croix. etc. to possibly get some of the higher quality features in those lower end reels. Again, that's my own opinion, but I'm sure the carbonlite would treat you just fine!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daiwa Tatula Ct on eBay for just under $100 or even the Fuego CT on the bay for $65 is were I would go. Quality, light reels and I love the Magforce Z brakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would go with the new Tatula 100. On sale at Sportsman's outfitters for $99

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeeze theres so many options out there with sales... 

 

I can get a revo alx for 120 or the tatula 100 for 100.. these sound better and the revo alx is significantly lighter... anyone have an opinion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like the $100-125 reel market has gone to crap, but I’ve heard good things about the SLX, and it felt pretty comfy and sturdy in the hand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have and would recommend the Daiwa Fuego CT. Solid reel. 

 

The shimano slx looks good as well and the fact that tactical bassin gave it such a great review should put it on the short list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Smalls said:

Seems like the $100-125 reel market has gone to crap, but I’ve heard good things about the SLX, and it felt pretty comfy and sturdy in the hand. 

Really? There a buncha killer reels tou can pick up for 125 and under these days. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Smalls said:

Seems like the $100-125 reel market has gone to crap, but I’ve heard good things about the SLX, and it felt pretty comfy and sturdy in the hand. 

I'm confused by this post. There are quite a few quality reels to be had for $100-$125.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2019 at 11:01 AM, LonnieP said:

I would go with the new Tatula 100. On sale at Sportsman's outfitters for $99

I second this motion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2019 at 12:01 PM, LonnieP said:

I would go with the new Tatula 100. On sale at Sportsman's outfitters for $99

I'm going to potentially pick one or two of these up but don't know what I'll use them for. I see they are designed towards lightweight/finesse but I really don't need a finesse or lightweight BC reel. I guess I could put a lower ratio on my Avid rod I use for small 1.0 squarebills? I need a new reel for my 734c I just got but will probably use a Curado K that is laying around since it's a workhorse, spinnerbait/buzzbait/small swimbait rod.

 

What do you use yours for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Daiwa Fuego Ct for $65 is the best reel you can get for the money. I have the Slx and the Fuego. The Slx is a good reel but I definetly prefer my fuego.  

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-NEW-DAIWA-FUEGO-CT-100HS-RightHand-7-3-1-Baitcasting-Fishing-Reel-FGCT100HS/142331283881?epid=566108388&hash=item21239b09a9:g:LIUAAOSwBmpbMlyF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, TBAG said:

I'm going to potentially pick one or two of these up but don't know what I'll use them for. I see they are designed towards lightweight/finesse but I really don't need a finesse or lightweight BC reel. I guess I could put a lower ratio on my Avid rod I use for small 1.0 squarebills? I need a new reel for my 734c I just got but will probably use a Curado K that is laying around since it's a workhorse, spinnerbait/buzzbait/small swimbait rod.

 

What do you use yours for?

I bought mine for Squarebills and lipless cranks. Just got it 2 weeks ago and haven't been able to fish with it yet due to the weather, only casting it in the yard. Not sure why Daiwa says they're for Finesse, it has the same size spool as the CT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LonnieP said:

I bought mine for Squarebills and lipless cranks. Just got it 2 weeks ago and haven't been able to fish with it yet due to the weather, only casting it in the yard. Not sure why Daiwa says they're for Finesse, it has the same size spool as the CT.

Cool, will probably grab a 6.3:1 for my 1.0 and 1/4 oz Rat-l-trap specific rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing forum

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×