haggard

What's the mfr rec on breaking in Merc 4-stroke?

Got a Mercury 60 CT four stroke on order and I'm trying to find the manufacturer's break-in procedure so I can plan ahead (what else am I going to do for the next several months until ice-out?). Even at the Merc site all I can find is a link to purchase/order a manual.

Can anyone with a 60 CT tell me what the manual recommends?

If you are not sure, ask the dealer or contact mercury. Don't rely on opinions from a forum.

the first 10 hours of a motors life is the most critical.

• Like 1

Manual comes with the motor on delivery. Follow Merc's break in to the "T". 

• Like 1

Thanks all, I appreciate it. Was hoping someone with a 60 CT could literally just take a pic of the instruction text in the manual. Can you tell I'm eager? This is worse than the bait monkey :laugh7:

My mercury 60 four stroke required so many hours of varying RPMs between 2k and 4k. Dont remember what the amount was. It was pretty unfortunate because that range wasn't quite enough to get on plane so we'd plow around the lake for quite a while 😄

The hardest part will be motoring around for a few hours without being able to stop to fish.

You'll get the exact procedure with your motor. Make sure you follow it to the t (or is it tee), cause they will look at that if you ever need warranty work. I had a 225, and its up/down, up/down at low and med RPMs like someone mentioned above. No real way to fish while doing it.

On 1/19/2019 at 6:38 PM, haggard said:

The hardest part will be motoring around for a few hours without being able to stop to fish.

Why can't you stop and fish?  I believe it states for the first 2-4hrs vari rpms 2-4k doesn't mean you can't stop fish then resume the procedure. until the time has been met.  so if you vary rpms for an hr  shut down and fish for 1/2 hr then you start up and resume to vary the speed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, je1946 said:

Why can't you stop and fish?  I believe it states for the first 2-4hrs vari rpms 2-4k doesn't mean you can't stop fish then resume the procedure. until the time has been met.  so if you vary rpms for an hr  shut down and fish for 1/2 hr then you start up and resume to vary the speed.

Makes sense. What a relief!

• Like 1