BoatSquirrel

ZMan TRD Crawz

Tackle Warehouse has been advertising the ZMan TRD Crawz, a nice looking littel craw, as is most of ZMan’s baits.  Saw them at BPS and was shocked at how tiny they are—barely bigger than a quarter.  Anyone tested them out yet?  Thanks yall.

I bought 2 packs about 2 months ago, green pumpkin & watermelon w/red flake.  Use a Ned rig jighead (I prefer 1/16 oz) and they will look exactly like a small crawdad in defensive position when at rest.  I fish them more like a jig (slide then pause) than like a Ned rig, but that has been because of the time of year.  They also skip well for a small bait with appendages, I can get them underneath docks pretty easily.

I caught a dozen bass the first time I used them, but I have been throwing a TRD finesse jig more the last few weeks as the water temps dropped.  I am expecting them to be a great prespawn bait over the next few weeks, they match the hatch as far as looking like 1st year crawdads.

OCdockskipper is on point - also try the TRD craz on a zman finesse bulletz in 1/15th oz. or  1/10th oz. for a weedless presentation or if getting hung up is a problem .

I had a good amount of success using them as a jig trailer on finesse jigs. I plan on ned rigging them this year. They will always have a place as a finesse jig trailer in my boat though.

Excellent baits. I Use them on a mushroom jighead (Ned rig style) and on small finesse jigs as trailers.

Fantastic little baits. I added them to my TRD, Big TRD and my favorite the Hula StickZ crew.

The really small Z-Man bait is the Crusteaz. It's a tiny bait but I have caught some monster Smallmouth on them.

Also the Crusteaz catches tons of everything that swims too.

check it out:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Z-Man_Crusteaz_6pk/descpage-ZMANCRU.html

Almost every cast I make with them the claws either stick together or get stuck under the hook bend. They look great but they've been a pretty big disappointment so far.

14 minutes ago, BoatSquirrel said:

Thanks Blue—I was looking for a reason to cross them off the list.

Wait, so 4 of us give them a positive review and you decide to go with the one negative?  No offense to Clayton, in fact he is one of the 2 posters on this site who I relied upon to learn about the Ned rig.  Maybe he got a pack with some kind of defect or maybe he is fishing them as one might fish a Ned rig (as opposed to a jig) and that is leading to the issues he has had.  His experiences should be included, but to summarily dismiss 80% of the responses kind of looks like you didn't really want our opinions in the first place.

I have no idea why I care that you don't care...😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I want to try some Neko rigged,Seen a underwater video of them.They look killer.

12 minutes ago, OCdockskipper said:

Wait, so 4 of us give them a positive review and you decide to go with the one negative?  No offense to Clayton, in fact he is one of the 2 posters on this site who I relied upon to learn about the Ned rig.  Maybe he got a pack with some kind of defect or maybe he is fishing them as one might fish a Ned rig (as opposed to a jig) and that is leading to the issues he has had.  His experiences should be included, but to summarily dismiss 80% of the responses kind of looks like you didn't really want our opinions in the first place.

Sorry to offend, Skipper.  I am doing my best to battle the tackle monkey.  

• Like 1

I bought some too. Have only tub tested them. They are SO buoyant that with a standard Ned-type head, they stand vertically upright. A bit too vertical actually. They may need a heavier longer shanked hook. As a finesse jig trailer sounds good, although I bought them as a stand-alone crayfish mimic. Glad to hear others are liking them.  

I love them. They make much better trailers on Bitsy Bugs than other plastics like the Baby Rage Craw. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OCdockskipper said:

This is correct, I am fishing them on a homemade Midwest Finesse head, 1/16oz with a #2 hook. That might be partly why the claws are tangling under the hook bend, but all 4 packs seem to have the same issue with the claws sticking together. I'm not going to give up on them yet, they are the perfect size representation of the size craw that every size bass will eat. I have a feeling they'll really shine in the spring when the craws are smaller and bass are really feeding on them. I've had issues with Zman appendages sticking together before (the Turbo CrawZ were pretty bad), but adding some slippery scent to the offending areas fixed the problem so I'll have to try the same with these.

1 hour ago, Bluebasser86 said:

I've had issues with Zman appendages sticking together before (the Turbo CrawZ were pretty bad), but adding some slippery scent to the offending areas fixed the problem so I'll have to try the same with these.

You may be  on to something.  I always slather my crawdad baits with FishSticks scent, so that may be why I haven't been experiencing that same issue.

I just got a pack from Tackle Warehouse to use as jig trailers. Went fishing today and I couldn’t get them rigged right so I didn’t use them. How are you guys threading them on the hook since they’re split down the middle underneath?

Never mind. I’ve got the Zman Crawdadz.

Edited by LonnieP

I've had pretty good luck in the creek on smallies, I use a 1/10 ned rig head. 

I've been waiting to see them in store somewhere. I absolutely love craw baits, but my Ned rig skills and experience are seriously lacking. I decided not to rush into them until I get a little more practice and confidence with my TRD's. Untiiiiil I see them in a store and but 3 packs on the spot 😂

I bought these the minute they were available, along with the Zman bullet heads that came out at the same time.

I have been VERY happy with them.