Redroy

Central Florida fishing

Yeah I’m stoked for the drags, i got opening day and finals day tickets. I watched some YouTube videos of “punching grass beds”, looks like it’s the large weight that punches through the vegetation, getting to those bass that are lurking under the grass carpet. So a rod with more backbone to muscle em’ out of the grass is probably needed, cause your most likely bringing some of the grass with ya when you hook a fish. I’m assuming that anyway?

6 hours ago, Redroy said:

Yeah I’m stoked for the drags, i got opening day and finals day tickets. I watched some YouTube videos of “punching grass beds”, looks like it’s the large weight that punches through the vegetation, getting to those bass that are lurking under the grass carpet. So a rod with more backbone to muscle em’ out of the grass is probably needed, cause your most likely bringing some of the grass with ya when you hook a fish. I’m assuming that anyway?

Yes for Florida mats you'll want a 3/4oz weight or heavier to much a hole through the vegetation. For a rod, it needs enough backbone and fast tip to drive the hook through the plastic into the bass's mouth as you'll have it rigged Texas, not Texposed. A heavy rod has the backbone and tip also to turn the bass's head so you can pull him back out of the mat. Otherwise, especially with a big girl, they will bury themselves deeper where you'll lose the fish. 

There isn't much to punch from the shore around here as it is a vertical technique more than a horizontal one. A good MH or H rod that can handle a 1/2-3/4oz flipping jig to work reed lines would be a better technique for bank fishing. If you don't have a flipping jig, a Gambler or Dirty Jigs swim jig also works well. Both of these swim jigs are available locally. There are a couple of the bigger Orlando lakes with reed lines that are fishable from the bank. A good percentage of these also have sandy flats near them that are prime spawning areas once the water is warm enough for them to move back in. 

On 1/30/2019 at 5:48 PM, reelcraker said:

senkos who uses those things?😄 anyway, gatornationals will change your life. awesome time!! daytona will make your thank god your alive. But yeah right now flipping and punching grass looking for those bedding fish is the way to go. even hitting the shore under cypress trees. My buddy caught a nice 5lb fish hitting the bank next to some cypress knees with a crank bait twitching it a couple times first almost like a popper. kinda simulated a dying bait or something, fish nailed it as he started the retrieve.

Any luck lately? No fishing for me up here, too cold and has been snowing a bunch, cold enough to ice fish but nasty weather out right now. Only 4 more weeks and I’ll be fishing for large mouth again!! 

12 hours ago, Redroy said:

Any luck lately? No fishing for me up here, too cold and has been snowing a bunch, cold enough to ice fish but nasty weather out right now. Only 4 more weeks and I’ll be fishing for large mouth again!! 

Hey buddy not much in the big lakes. Bite has still been pretty slow. I went to a somewhat private pond the other day and caught 5 good size fish in about an hour and a half. It was pretty crazy. For reason's I can't go into I really can't disclose the area of this pond but they were hungry. I only had about half a bag of worms with me and they pretty much destroyed them. it was fun. gonna try again this weekend in Lk. Butler.

Nice!! Some fishing is way better than no fishing, especially if you have a spot that’s off the radar! Not gonna lie I’m jealous I havnt fished in 5mo. 

I scheduled a guide for an 8hr day on the 14th of March, I had to do it! Still gonna give another day a shot for sure, only 30 days till if fish!!