Bankfisher22

Prespawn in texas

As everyone knows it's pretty darn hot in texas and I wanted to know if anyone has been getting any fish bites on prespawning bass. Or are they still in the winter phase?

Early pre-spawn has started on some lakes!

Read the FLW results from Rayburn 😉

• Like 1

The pond we were on last weekend....appeares that they have started. 

• Like 1

The water is still very cold in some places, such as in the Dallas area. I just went out on lake Ray Hubbard yesterday and the water was 47-48 degrees. Some bass may have been in pre-spawn mode but most of the lake is still being affected by a cold winter.

The water here is 10-13 degrees colder than Sam Rayburn just to give you a comparison.

I went to Decker (Walter E Long) (Austin area) the last two Saturdays. Last week water temp was 51-53. We caught a half dozen or so including two around 6 pounds.

Yesterday water temp was 46-47 at launch. It was cold (low 30s) and rainy with a north wind. My hands were pretty cold until the rain stopped. 

The fishing was great. Not for numbers but for bigs. Using a paper length to weight chart, my son gave us a lesson on catching. He won the tournament with 27 pounds. His three biggest were 20, 21 and 23 inches. I believe on a scale, he would have had more than 30 pounds. They were very chunky. Most were caught on lipless cranks.

They are full bellied ready to spawn soon.