56 minutes ago, ChrisD46 said:

Next time I see a sale I will be picking up a 703c for those applications where a 704C may be a little too heavy . I see no reason why a 703SF could not be used with a slightly heavier set up for drop shotting around structure and vegetation - something like #15 lb. braid plus a #10 lb. FC or P-Line CXX (if water slightly stained)  leader and a strong #1 or #1/0 drop shot hook .

The 703c is great for chatterbaits and lipless, even cranking has worked out really well for me on that rod. I got the 704c for swimbaits like fetches, 5” skinny dippers, jigs and spinnerbaits and it’s made me happy. Idk why I love that 703 so much. That’s precisely what I was gonna do I have a roll of 15# braid waiting on a Stradivarius paired with a nice dobyns spinning set up lol. My buddy just suggested gamma touch which I’ve been having really good outings with. I’ll be throwing 1/6 ounce Ned’s on it as well and darterheads. I LOVE 2 power rods and below but for the area it’s gonna cost me more fish than the enjoyment of that battle on a lighter rod. Plus it doubles for smaller jigs and t rigs when I gotta pitch around trees when I’m just shore hoppin or wanna toss a spinning set up for it. I had a champion 766flip and it was a horse I could toss around any tree and not have a worry I just don’t enjoy the stiffness and trust a 735 to do that as well

On 2/4/2019 at 4:01 AM, NorthernBasser said:

I bought the Dobyns Sierra 734 (w/ micro guides) when TW was having that big sale on them. I've yet to use it, but my plan was to use it for my jigs (3/8oz-1/2oz). Before I bought it I had heard good things. But now many in here are saying the sensitivity on the Dobyns aren't that great. Bummer if true. Suppose I can use it for other applications if that's the case.

Last year I used a Curado rod (7'2" med/heavy) for my jigs. Anybody have any comparisons between that and the Sierras? 

I did the same, but bought it for a spinnerbait, buzzbait and small swimbait specific rod. I haven't gotten the chance to fish it but hopefully soon.

On 2/4/2019 at 10:49 AM, Frog Turds said:

Northern Basser, dont fret if you're not satisfied with sensitivity of it...you still didnt make a bad choice what so ever buying it, especially at the sale price...it was a good score no matter....the 734 is an awesome stick in general for piles of other things...I have 3 of the 734's, 2 champs and 1 Sierra and I could still justify more, i throw alot of stuff on the 734's...

I havent used/experienced the Seirra's for bottom contact, always some kind of moving bait with the 734 Sierras...my main jig stick is a DX 765flip...but I've used the 734c, 733c, 702c & 684c champs for jigs and I dont have any complaints with sensitivity...

What all do you throw with your 734c?

• Like 1

Love my Dobyns rods.  I also invested in Champion Extremes (bottom baits) and Champions (moving baits) for a financial reason.  Once my arsenal of rods was acquired I knew that the only changes (& associated costs) would be either covered under complete warranty or through their "no fault" replacement program, which means no more rod purchases for more than what you would pay for an entry-level rod.  That said, over the past 2-3 years I have yet to replace one.  

• Like 1

I have a 6'6 MH/F savvy series and absolutely love it. I used to fish all Duckett, but I'm sold on Dobyns.

I was looking on Tackle Warehouse to purchase another identical rod but couldn't find it, did they stop making them? 

Yes the Savvy series is no longer, I am pretty sure the Sierra series replaced them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ike8120 said:

Yes the Savvy series is no longer, I am pretty sure the Sierra series replaced them.

That's a bummer because they don't list a MH/F 6'6.  😭

4 minutes ago, Kevfish said:

What spinning rod should i get to throw medium diving cranks on???

Don't know if this will help you recommend for 3'-10'

quote by Gary Dobyns 

"I'd recommend a Sierra 703 SF. It'll be a perfect rod for Shad Rap. It'll cast well and have enough power to handle the diving Rap"

1 pc. 8-17lb, 3/16-5/8 oz, Medium Fast Action

Ive used Dobyns rods for 6 years now and after using a bunch of other companies Dobyns just fit the bill for what i was looking for! i wanted a 5 tool stick and there just that! Power,sensitivity,lightweight,balanced and appealing! customer service is great