yes, i did this years ago, you need the gear set from the Chronarch D7 101...maybe hard to find these days though for the 101

BNT4029 pinion gear

BNT3614 drive gear

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, chongmtl said:

I have a core 101 mg 6.2:1 , is it possible to swap the gears for a faster ratio? 

Interesting.  I have the same reel and never thought of doing this.  My Core is my go to reel and I have never had an issue with the speed being too slow.  I tend to use it for light jigs and weightless soft plastic.  Might be an interesting change to try though. 

Chong as far as my knowledge yes its the only one that will...the Chronarch D7 100/righty gear set is still readily avail...I just did a quick search for the 101 where I bought the gear set originally but no longer lists the 101 D7 set anymore and didnt see it come up anywhere else...

Wont say it will be impossible to find it, just may need to do more hunting on the interwebs for those parts...

4 hours ago, chongmtl said:

Is that the only model that would work?

What about the aldebaran ?

The 8:1 brass gears from the 12 Exsence DC might work... it´s the same platform as the Chronarch D/Core MG.

Contact The Tackle Trap directly and ask them, they are the place that has and had those gear sets and carry various other gear sets...

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Frog Turds said:

Contact The Tackle Trap directly and ask them, they are the place that has and had those gear sets and carry various other gear sets...

Thx

6 hours ago, chongmtl said:

Found this on Japan Tackle https://japantackle.com/tuning-parts/brake-gears-level-winder/tug0000215.html,

Can i get the parts in the US or Can?

That´s the gears from the 12 Exsence DC i was talking about, nice to see that they do fit! I doubt that they are available outside of Japan as the Exsence DC was a JDM reel.

did you email or call The Tackle Trap? If so, what did they say about getting the gears? Thats where I got my original set...

1 hour ago, Frog Turds said:

did you email or call The Tackle Trap? If so, what did they say about getting the gears? Thats where I got my original set...

Yes, emailed them and they don't have the parts

Contact Dan Isaac at ReelEx he is a Shimano expert reel service tech.

Tom

On 2/3/2019 at 11:31 PM, Frog Turds said:

yes, i did this years ago, you need the gear set from the Chronarch D7 101...maybe hard to find these days though for the 101

BNT4029 pinion gear

BNT3614 drive gear

do i need any other parts?

5 hours ago, WRB said:

Contact Dan Isaac at ReelEx he is a Shimano expert reel service tech.

Tom

thx

no, key washer the same...kits sometimes comes though with those 2 parts listed and key washer...but your stock key washer will fit all the same...

for some reassurance question and answer below; this is a response direct from the Shimano man himself, Bantam1 with someone asking about gear swap on core 101

"replacement of the gears I should be good to just get the main drive gear and pinion gear for the Core 101MG and I don't need to buy another key washer, correct?
Postby Bantam1 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:13 am
Yes that is correct"

While searching for the gear and pinion i noticed the chronarch d7 and

the curado dhsv has the same drive gear code "BNT3614" but not the same pinion code CH BNT4029 and

CU BNT3615.

Any chance the pinions are the same but different codes, can someone confirm this ?