I'm sure many have built Beetle spins. I've recently bought some wire arms, with size 4 spinner, jig heads, size 2 hook. I'm making some with a curly tail grub, and a few with a smaller swimbait for the body. What are your favorite heads, arms, and bodies to make this lure?

• Like 1

Round head , socket eye head, or aspirin head, something I can put eyes on. Body would be a curly tail. Arms would be preformed ready bent, no bending. You have a PM

• Like 2

Absolutely love a 3” kalins in green pumpkin or watermelon red on the back of a 1/8 ball head for my beatle spins. 

What size wire are you guys using for making yours. Ive been looking into making my own as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bdnoble84 said:

Absolutely love a 3” kalins in green pumpkin or watermelon red on the back of a 1/8 ball head for my beatle spins. 

What size wire are you guys using for making yours. Ive been looking into making my own as well.

I'm not sure on the wire size. I've made a few with wire forms made by Arkie.

Thanks mobasser. I have .031 wire in my barlows cart. Ill see if that works. Might be alittle stiff. My biggest issue with store bought “beetlespin” is the flimsyness of the wire. 1 2lb bass or 3-4lb northern absolutely desimates those things

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bdnoble84 said:

Thanks mobasser. I have .031 wire in my barlows cart. Ill see if that works. Might be alittle stiff. My biggest issue with store bought “beetlespin” is the flimsyness of the wire. 1 2lb bass or 3-4lb northern absolutely desimates those things

When I make bass size jig spinner (beetle spin) wire forms I use .031" diameter wire most of the time.

• Like 1

Last year I picked up several packages of Spro swivels on the cheap . I put some on the   Arkie forms  available at the big store .Attached it to a DOA short shank jighead with a large Sassy Shad   .  This should work well fished around  Chara algae mats . I may replace some blades too . Have to try it out first and play it by ear .

• Like 1

I used to have a buddy that made custom "slider" style heads, they absolutely crushed Bull Bluegills (Aka Gillzillas) and crappies. We would thread a 2-2.5 inch twister tail grub on the slider head and with a small gold or nickel blade for the spinner. The slider head seemed to give the bait a slow shimmy on the fall I didn't get with teardrop or darter style heads. 👍 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Allaroundfishing said:

I used to have a buddy that made custom "slider" style heads, they absolutely crushed Bull Bluegills (Aka Gillzillas) and crappies. We would thread a 2-2.5 inch twister tail grub on the slider head and with a small gold or nickel blade for the spinner. The slider head seemed to give the bait a slow shimmy on the fall I didn't get with teardrop or darter style heads. 👍 

Ive had similar success, just with a 2” crappie tube with tube jig and small spinner