Alec McMillan

Best Jig Brands

9 hours ago, NorthernBasser said:

How's the hookup ratio on those War Eagle jigs? The shank seems shorter than many others, at least from pictures.

One thing I like about Siebert is how the hook sits at a 45 degree angle when the jig is on the bottom. Besides possibly helping with hook-ups, your craw/creature trailer sits up off the bottom, make it more enticing to the bass. It also looks more like a craw with it's pinchers up. 

I have great success with War Eagle flipping jigs. They are really good at coming through wood too. I never had any issues hooking fish.

11 hours ago, Fishin Dad said:

Outlet Bait and Tackle has War Eagle jigs with a rattle and wire tied for $1.55 each right now.   I ordered 30 of them.  Other than that deal, Seibert dredge dock jigs are my fav.   

I'm not seeing them at that price. Sale must have ended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alec.  Whatever jigs you choose don’t go crazy with colors.  3-4 different colors should do.   Black and browns are my staples.  Stained water black/blue is a must.   Clear water match the craws:  Brown with red or green.    As for weight 3/8 and 1/2 oz is a good place to start.   

Goid luck!

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, waymont said:

I have great success with War Eagle flipping jigs. They are really good at coming through wood too. I never had any issues hooking fish.

I'm not seeing them at that price. Sale must have ended.

Waymont, I just checked, it looks War Eagle is the only brand they took off the sale.  Spinnerbaits were under $3 too during the sale.  Sorry

9 hours ago, NorthernBasser said:

How's the hookup ratio on those War Eagle jigs? The shank seems shorter than many others, at least from pictures.

One thing I like about Siebert is how the hook sits at a 45 degree angle when the jig is on the bottom. Besides possibly helping with hook-ups, your craw/creature trailer sits up off the bottom, make it more enticing to the bass. It also looks more like a craw with it's pinchers up. 

I find the hook up to be fine.  I do add a bait keeper as I like to skip them.  That is an easy fix though.  I would prefer a Seiberts and absolutely love them, but couldn’t pass up this deal.  

3 hours ago, Catt said:

It's called passion 😉

It would take a very special jig to replace Terry Oldham's Jigs in my tackle box.

Siebert Outdoors Grass Jig has accomplished that!

Hey Catt, which grass jig from Seiberts do you like?  Is it the grass n swim jig?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NorthernBasser said:

SiebertOutdoors.com

X2 Outstanding quality & hook selection. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fishin Dad said:

Hey Catt, which grass jig from Siebert's do you like?  Is it the grass n swim jig?

The ones I have just say "Grass" but all I see on the website is Grass N Swim. That puppy has one awesome Mustad Ultra Point hook!

IMG_20190210_162804.jpg

• Like 2

Bass Patrol are good and pretty inexpensive if you want football jigs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catt said:

The ones I have just say "Grass" but all I see on the website is Grass N Swim. That puppy has one awesome Mustad Ultra Point hook!

IMG_20190210_162804.jpg

What weight is that? Looks like a heavy jig.

Allen

• Like 2

Siebert jigs. With the wire tie.

I do a lot more of what most anglers would consider "finesse fishing" while targeting river Smallies. I can't offer advice on all sorts of different styles of heads, but I can say that the quality, durability, colors and price are all fantastic. Not to mention great customer service to boot!

His Sniper jigs are a favorite morsel for the Smallmouth here in central Wisconsin 😎😁

• Like 2

5/16 sniper jig, all black wire tied with a black blue 3" pit poss is deadly!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Munkin said:

What weight is that? Looks like a heavy jig.

Allen

3/4 oz, I aint fishing sparse cover or little bass! 😉

• Like 3

21 hours ago, FCPhil said:

Look online and buy a pack of Boss jig heads and Boss replacement skirts. In the long run you get great jigs for a low cost. 

Yup. Love Boss heads and skirts. They have a great range of premade but making your own skirt combos is addicting. Still cheaper than a store!

p.s. Sieberts looks awesome too 😁

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FishinKansan81 said:

Yup. Love Boss heads and skirts. They have a great range of premade but making your own skirt combos is addicting. Still cheaper than a store!

p.s. Sieberts looks awesome too 😁

BOSS are nice but they are expensive compared to other places.

Allen

• Like 1

I have been making my own jigs since '71, 2 head designs my viper and a football. I use both Owner and Gamakatsu plain darter and ball heads for finesse presentations. 

If I ever need to purchase any jigs it would be Siebert Outdoors because he uses premium hooks and high quality workmanship at a competitive price.

Tom

• Like 1

Kinda like the Grid Iron Brush Jig!  😉

IMG_20190211_120221.jpg