Jump to content
EGbassing

New Pflueger Trion not spinning very much

Recommended Posts

Just picked up a Pflueger Trion 20 for my ultralight combo and when I spin the reel handle really hard it rotates maybe 1 time after that and then slows to a stop really fast. I can also hear a really faint grinding sound when I spin it. Does it sound like I got a faulty reel, or is it not greased well, or is it supposed to do that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just did that test with my Trion-30. I get about 9-10 rotations of the handle and a slight whirring sound from the rotator.

 

If you're getting grinding, I think you got a faulty one - return it for replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MN Fisher said:

I just did that test with my Trion-30. I get about 9-10 rotations of the handle and a slight whirring sound from the rotator.

 

If you're getting grinding, I think you got a faulty one - return it for replacement.

I don't know if I would describe it as a grinding. It's really faint but it's not completely silent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EGbassing said:

I don't know if I would describe it as a grinding. It's really faint but it's not completely silent.

Does it sound like a 'woosh-woosh'?

 

Despite the sound, you should get much more than one handle rotation from a good 'toss' of it.

 

Try a good cleaning - maybe the gear-grease is a little gunked up. If that doesn't fix the low-rotation issue...then it's a bad reel and need to be traded in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MN Fisher said:

Does it sound like a 'woosh-woosh'?

 

Despite the sound, you should get much more than one handle rotation from a good 'toss' of it.

 

Try a good cleaning - maybe the gear-grease is a little gunked up. If that doesn't fix the low-rotation issue...then it's a bad reel and need to be traded in.

I don't think so. I tried spinning it again and this time I got about four rotations from a good spin; I guess I didn't spin it very hard earlier. Do you think it could be because it's such a small reel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EGbassing said:

I don't think so. I tried spinning it again and this time I got about four rotations from a good spin; I guess I didn't spin it very hard earlier. Do you think it could be because it's such a small reel?

4 spins is a lot better than 1. It might just need to be loosened up by use. I got mine last year and it's got a good 50 casts/retrieves on it as it's my light crank/jerk reel (3/8 oz and under).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MN Fisher said:

4 spins is a lot better than 1. It might just need to be loosened up by use. I got mine last year and it's got a good 50 casts/retrieves on it as it's my light crank/jerk reel (3/8 oz and under).

Problem with returning it is that it had that awful plastic packaging that you have to tear up to get the reel out; I foolishly used a pocket knife instead of scissors so it's even worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EGbassing said:

Problem with returning it is that it had that awful plastic packaging that you have to tear up to get the reel out; I foolishly used a pocket knife instead of scissors so it's even worse. 

Eeww - I never buy reels in bubble-plastic...always boxed.

 

If it's in the timeline of the store's return policy...they should still take it back if it's not functioning properly - they'll get their money (or an exchange) from the distributor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×