Kenneth Chang

What gear do you guys recommend for flipping and pitching?

Ive heard of a lot of people who use HEAVY stuff for flipping and pitching. Like the guys I see use heavy power rods, 50-65lb braid, 20-25lb fluorocarbon, and fast gear ratios as high as 10:1:1. Is all that stuff really necessary.

My gear for flipping and pitching:

6’7” 13 fishing omen black med-heavy/fast action casting rod

Abu Garcia Revo X baitcasting reel(6:6:1 gear ratio)

12 pound seaguar invisx fluorocarbon

True flipping/pitching is tossing the lure into heavy vegetation. The power of the rod and the strength of the line isn't for the fish alone, it's to allow you to pull the fish out from those weeds without breaking the line.

My flipping/pitching/punching/frogging rig is the Fuego CT-XS on the Heavy/Fast Diawa Aird-X with 50# Power Pro. With the amount of milfoil in the lakes I fish, I need that power to pull the bass out of that mess.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kenneth Chang said:

Ive heard of a lot of people who use HEAVY stuff for flipping and pitching. Like the guys I see use heavy power rods, 50-65lb braid, 20-25lb fluorocarbon, and fast gear ratios as high as 10:1:1. Is all that stuff really necessary.

My gear for flipping and pitching:

6’7” 13 fishing omen black med-heavy/fast action casting rod

Abu Garcia Revo X baitcasting reel(6:6:1 gear ratio)

12 pound seaguar invisx fluorocarbon

"Is all that stuff necessary"? Where do you live? In Florida, maybe it doesn't hurt if you like punching mats with 1.5oz

If you're in Wisconsin, the setup you have is just fine for most everything 1/2oz and under.  

• Like 1

Flipping and Pitching are just a means of delivering a bait to it's intended target.  You can flip and pitch anything, Frogs, T-Rigs, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, jigs you get the idea.   Just adjust your rod and reel for the bait you will be presenting and the cover that it will be fished in.    You will not need the same setup for a 1/4oz jig as you would for punching mats.   Hope this helps.

• Like 5

Technically flip'n & pitch'n are 2 different techniques...even though many use the terms interchangeably but its incorrect...

answer to your question is that it all depends how & where you're fish'n and size baits throwin..lets say in relation to vegetation cover, its how heavy or sparse of cover you're fish'n, that will dictate whats necessary...also type of fisherman you are...I like fast IPT when pitchin jigs...Im a power fisherman that sticks and moves and like to cover alot of water...

pitch'n jigs with high IPT makes you more efficient and cover more water/hit more spots by the end of the day...high IPT assists along with the stick to take up line fast & move fish up, out and away from cover...heavy powered sticks to set the hook with no stretch braid to power that fish out of dense cover...heavier braid is obviously stronger and holds up better in those situations etc.....getting a fish especially a big fish thats deep in heavy slop and bringing back with it is some 20 odd pounds worth of veg takes power...

if you're using under powered gear where you shouldnt be, then thats just a set up for a really bad day & disappointment...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heartland said:

Flipping and Pitching are just a means of delivering a bait to it's intended target.  You can flip and pitch anything, Frogs, T-Rigs, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, jigs you get the idea.   Just adjust your rod and reel for the bait you will be presenting and the cover that it will be fished in.    You will not need the same setup for a 1/4oz jig as you would for punching mats.   Hope this helps.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! 

5 hours ago, Heartland said:

Yep. I pitch with pretty much any rod i own, even spinning rods. I do have a dedicated 765flip champion, but its what i use for pitchingand light punching into thick nasty stuff where i need the extra beef. 

Same thought process as why airplane wings should test at 2 to 3 times the strength they would normally fly it. Me and you get mad when we lose fish. The professionals lose money. Why risk it? 

With that being said you can flip and pitch with anything, some stuff does better 

Flipping? it doesn't matter in the least.  I doubt you will ever actually do it.

Pitching? something fast.  You need a reel that can take up line quickly.  Act accordingly