TotalNoob

Pond Prowler II (10ft) - No Boat control While Standing & Fishing - Traxxis Solution?

Having major frustrations "controlling" the boat while trying to use both hands to fish. 

I posted this earlier in the long-running "Any Pelican Bass Raider Owners Out There?" thread, thinking this might be most applicable there. I now realize I may have limited visibility of my general concerns exclusively to readers of that thread. Hoping to tap into a larger pool of eyeballs with knowledge/experience of the Minn Kota Traxxis bow mount trolling motor. 

Currently have a Minn Kota 45lb Endura Max at the transom. It's terrific for getting me around to areas. But I can't do anything with this motor in terms of making adjustments to the boat while standing and slowly working a jerkbait (or any slow presentation for that matter). The motor handle sits too far down, so I'm constantly sitting back down to make adjustments... total mess. Putting this motor on the bow really doesn't change much in terms of how much time is taken away from actually fishing. 

I'm exploring all options including:

1) Engineering some kind of deck to add a traditional bowmount foot-controlled trolling motor

2) Minn Kota Traxxis 55lb for bow (possibly paired with a Bigfoot Switch)

3) Adding just a Bigfoot Switch

4) This "Troll King" contraption, though I can't find any reviews. Looks like a possibility but I don't see anyone else talking about it

5) "Motorguide Bulldog Peak Thrust Foot Control Trolling Motor, 54-Pound". Seems a little pricey and lists as a transom mount rather than a bow mount.

The ideal scenario is 100% foot control of boat while standing. Assuming that can't happen, thoughts on second best scenario? 

If I go option 2, I'm thinking I would leave the Endura Max 45 on the transom and add a Bullnose Rudder to it. The Traxxis looks pretty good in theory, would seem to offer some boat control while standing. Can anyone speak to their experience with the Minn Kota Traxxis in terms of fishing while standing and controlling the boat at the same time? 

Additionally, what shaft lengths are you guys running on your trolling motor on these small crafts? Amazon has the Traxxis 55 available in 36" and 42". The 42" is actually cheaper than the 36" (both have the Digital Maximizer). I'm thinking the longer shaft might allow me to keep the motor head in a higher position, offering even better access to the tilting handle while standing. Are there any "cons" to the 42" shaft I should consider if I go this route? 

Any/all feedback much appreciated. 

I have an Endura Max on the front of my Pond Prowler, use a Bigfoot switch and use my foot to move the motor handle. The Bigfoot switch makes a world of difference.Takes some practice but it works. 

• Like 1

trolling motor up front and a rudder in the back. world of difference!

18 minutes ago, LonnieP said:

I have an Endura Max on the front of my Pond Prowler, use a Bigfoot switch and use my foot to move the motor handle. The Bigfoot switch makes a world of difference.Takes some practice but it works. No need for a 42” shaft, 36 is plenty.

That's interesting! I hadn't even considered using my foot to manipulate the tiller for direction.

Would you happen to have a pic of how you have your bigfoot switch setup in relationship to the trolling motor? Are you mostly sitting while fishing, or standing? Do you have a rudder on the transom?

I've read multiple people say the Bigfoot Switch fails (or can fail) fairly quickly/often. Have you had it fail while on the water? 

45 minutes ago, TotalNoob said:

That's interesting! I hadn't even considered using my foot to manipulate the tiller for direction.

Would you happen to have a pic of how you have your bigfoot switch setup in relationship to the trolling motor? Are you mostly sitting while fishing, or standing? Do you have a rudder on the transom?

I've read multiple people say the Bigfoot Switch fails (or can fail) fairly quickly/often. Have you had it fail while on the water? 

I sit and stand while fishing. I put my old trolling motor on the transom when I bought my new one, it acts as a rudder and as a backup. I’ve had the Bigfoot switch fail twice while on the water in the past 3 years but they’re only $20. It’s a good idea to keep a small collapsible paddle in your boat in case the switch does go bad (or your battery dies).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LonnieP said:

I sit and stand while fishing. I put my old trolling motor on the transom when I bought my new one, it acts as a rudder and as a backup. I’ve had the Bigfoot switch fail twice while on the water in the past 3 years but they’re only $20. It’s a good idea to keep a small collapsible paddle in your boat in case the switch does go bad (or your battery dies).

Where do you get the Big Foot brand switch? Amazon has it for $33 (non-prime). 

4uCO2dX.jpg

There is a $20 switch available by another manufacturer, Seachoice.

Bass Pro 21.99. Couple on eBay 24.99 free shipping

• Thanks 1

A LOT of the salt water fishermen on big boats prefer a hand control TM.  You can get extensions to raise the handle up, extend and at the right angle to fish standing up.  

• Like 1