Jump to content
Quarry Man

V Hull Stability

Recommended Posts

I know there are a million threads on the stability of Jon boats already, but I have specific and important question to ask...

 

in the beginning phases of my Smoker Craft Big Fisherman 14 conversion and I am trying to figure out how to build my deck. There are two built in benches. Originally a was gonna put aluminum framing in between with rod lockers along the side and other storage in the middle, but the benches are too close for a rod locker. now I am debating taking out the benches and framing the whole thing with aluminum. I want to know how stable the boat will be for two people sitting on chairs that are mounted at the bench's original level. My grandfather ad I will be using this boat and safety is the priority. We need it to be stable enough. Do I need a seat near the door for him or can I mount it on a level deck?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are raising the center of gravity. Is the boat tippy now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, slonezp said:

You are raising the center of gravity. Is the boat tippy now?

haven't taken it out yet, and due to time constraints might not get to test it before the conversion is done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess my answer to the above, is if you don't know, how a hull performs without modifications, how are we supposed to know how it will perform with modifications

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, slonezp said:

I guess my answer to the above, is if you don't know, how a hull performs without modifications, how are we supposed to know how it will perform with modifications

I just read somewhere that adding weight adds stability and realized that I agree with this to an extent. add more weight when fishing with my grandfather and take it out when fishing solo... good idea?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where you fishing the North Atlantic? I fish out of a aluminum 16 Jon that’s decked out in the front. No seats on it tho. If you’ve never fished in a boat it’s the Titanic. If you usually fish in a big boat it’ll be dingy. I think you’ll be fine.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 14ft Lund that has a weight capacity of 800lbs. The nameplate says 200lbs for the motor/fuel/gear and 600 for the people. I would be hesitant to put more than 800lbs of modifications and humans in the boat because it was not designed for that.

and my hull is bare bones. Here is a 16ft Tracker for example. This boat has floatation, seats and accessories and the max weight allowance is similar to my bare bones Lund https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/specs.cfm?boat=4277

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My personal opinion, I think you are considering ruining a boat.  Never have been in your brand specific but have been is several of the 12/14 pointed bow aluminum boats like that and the bow is not stable "AT ALL!"  I disliked them so much, when I bought my 9.9 Johnson from a co-worker many years ago, he said it was the motor and a 12' jon.  When I went to his house to pick it up, the 12' jon was one of those pointed bow boats with the rounded style bottom.  I took the motor off the boat, since that's all I wanted anyway, and left the boat sitting there, I wouldn't even haul it off.

If you install and elevated deck, make sure you keep a flotation device on and don't have anything in the boat you don't mind getting wet or loosing.

 

I would strongly suggest, before you do any mods you are considering, put the boat in the water and try to move around in the bow and get in and out over the bow.  If you don't, you might be making an expensive mistake. 

 

One other misunderstanding about weight and stability.  Weight in the bottom of the boat will add stability, weight above the bottom of the boat adds instability.

 

I also realize this is not what you want to hear, so I'm just some dumb*** that don't know what he's talking about.

 

What's that they say about advise and why I rarely try to give any "A wise man doesn't need it, and a foolish man doesn't listen to it".

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Way2slow said:

My personal opinion, I think you are considering ruining a boat.  Never have been in your brand specific but have been is several of the 12/14 pointed bow aluminum boats like that and the bow is not stable "AT ALL!"  I disliked them so much, when I bought my 9.9 Johnson from a co-worker many years ago, he said it was the motor and a 12' jon.  When I went to his house to pick it up, the 12' jon was one of those pointed bow boats with the rounded style bottom.  I took the motor off the boat, since that's all I wanted anyway, and left the boat sitting there, I wouldn't even haul it off.

If you install and elevated deck, make sure you keep a flotation device on and don't have anything in the boat you don't mind getting wet or loosing.

 

I would strongly suggest, before you do any mods you are considering, put the boat in the water and try to move around in the bow and get in and out over the bow.  If you don't, you might be making an expensive mistake. 

 

One other misunderstanding about weight and stability.  Weight in the bottom of the boat will add stability, weight above the bottom of the boat adds instability.

 

I also realize this is not what you want to hear, so I'm just some dumb*** that don't know what he's talking about.

 

What's that they say about advise and why I rarely try to give any "A wise man doesn't need it, and a foolish man doesn't listen to it".

thank you, I will take this into consideration. your point about weight and stability makes sense. Also, you have convinced me to test the boat's stability first!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most aluminum run about or "fishing" boat with bench seats, flat rear plane surface and V bow, use the seats to add strength to the hulls sides and flotation. The center of gravity is based on the tipping point weight above that centerline. Adding weigh below the CG allows adding equal weight above the CG. Your boats bench seat height is based where it provides strength and reasonable sitting comfort, strength and CG load comes first.

If you remove the bench seats you destroy the boats strength unless adding braces to replace them. Adding pedistal seats will add weight above the CG. You can add a low front pedistal mounted on the bench seat with a small low flat plateform to mount a trolling motor foot pedal to operate while seated. Adding a clamp on or bolt mounted low swivel seat to the rear bench seat to operate the OB while seated.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you put in a pedistal seat you must have another seat to sit in. In most states it is illegal to sit in a pedistal seat while the boat is under power by an outboard motor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×