Jump to content
paul_rassi

Best NRX Spinning Worm Rod? or other Brand?

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, 

 

looking into buying an all-around Spinning worm rod (wacky, T-rig, shakyhead, neko, maybe even small swimbaits) and was wondering if anyone has experience with the NRX 822S SYR // NRX 852S JWR // NRX 842 SJR if you are willing to comment on how you like them? If not, what is your favourite high-end spinning rod to use for this setup? 

 

Any advice would be appreciated! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the 822 and 852, and for an all around spinning rod the 852 would be very tough to beat. In addition to the techniques you listed it also does great with small jigs. The 822 is a great shakeyhead rod, but it's tip would likely be a bit too soft for your planned usage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NRX 852s no question, that's an amazing all-around spinning rod. It would be top-self good for all the techniques you listed. 

 

I don't think theres a rod better honestly. I owned one for a while and it was phenomenal. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the NRX 852S, Megabass Addermine, & St. Croix Legend Xtreme Medium 7'. All are great rods for what you are looking to do. Want to save $ buy a MB Orochi XX shakeyhead rod.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just went through this process and ended up with a MB Addermine.  It arrives tomorrows and I am super pumped to play with it.  I picked it over one of the NRXs because I wanted a more general purpose rod and I was worried about the ergonomics of the NRXs and never managed to get my hands on one.  I am a "all fingers infront of the stem" kind of guy so spinning rod reel-seats are a make or break for me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fishwizzard said:

I just went through this process and ended up with a MB Addermine.  It arrives tomorrows and I am super pumped to play with it.  I picked it over one of the NRXs because I wanted a more general purpose rod and I was worried about the ergonomics of the NRXs and never managed to get my hands on one.  I am a "all fingers infront of the stem" kind of guy so spinning rod reel-seats are a make or break for me.  

Ahh nice choice! I was also looking at the MB Addermine as well. It looks gorgeous and is a slightly lower price than the NRX regularly. However, i was fortunate enough to know someone who is able to hook me up with a 40% off deal on an NRX which is an offer that I am unsure if i could refuse lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, thunderblack said:

I have the NRX 852S, Megabass Addermine, & St. Croix Legend Xtreme Medium 7'. All are great rods for what you are looking to do. Want to save $ buy a MB Orochi XX shakeyhead rod.

Funny, I picked up a 7' Xtreme this winter.  I'm smitten with the balance/fit/finish and can't wait to use it this year. How's the sensitivity vs the NRX? 

 

I've yet to get my hands on an Addermine but being a finesse addict I'm sure I'll grab that rod eventually at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, paul_rassi said:

Ahh nice choice! I was also looking at the MB Addermine as well. It looks gorgeous and is a slightly lower price than the NRX regularly. However, i was fortunate enough to know someone who is able to hook me up with a 40% off deal on an NRX which is an offer that I am unsure if i could refuse lol. 

Do you get to touch any of the rods? If so, I'd throw the NRX872s in there too. Personally I like the longer length rod. With your 40% off deal with the NRX warranty, I'd stick with them. Isn't it $100 for lifetime replacement? I believe Megabass is only a 3 year warranty. Maybe it's more for their high end rods?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Punch, the rods all are a little different. I have fished the most with the Xtreme. The others are new. I have yet to fish a rod more sensitive than the NRX. With that being said the Destroyer line is awesome and the craftsmanship is the best. I bought two this winter and feel they are super versatile. FYI the Megabass warranty is 3 yrs but their CS is really good and it doesn't bother me one bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, thunderblack said:

Punch, the rods all are a little different. I have fished the most with the Xtreme. The others are new. I have yet to fish a rod more sensitive than the NRX. With that being said the Destroyer line is awesome and the craftsmanship is the best. I bought two this winter and feel they are super versatile. FYI the Megabass warranty is 3 yrs but their CS is really good and it doesn't bother me one bit.

 

Funny because I have a Megabass FMJ on it's way right now or a jig rod. I've never touched a Destroyer before so I'm excited about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Addermine is unquestionably an excellent spinning rod as well, but I predominantly use mine for horizontal drop shot and small swimbaits or underspins due to its softer tip. NRX 852 (IMO) is better for bottom contact methods, and since that's your primary intended use and you have that great 40% off deal it will be tough to beat. That being said, all of the rods mentioned so far are high performers and you would likely be happy with any one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Fishin' Fool said:

Do you get to touch any of the rods? If so, I'd throw the NRX872s in there too. Personally I like the longer length rod. With your 40% off deal with the NRX warranty, I'd stick with them. Isn't it $100 for lifetime replacement? I believe Megabass is only a 3 year warranty. Maybe it's more for their high end rods?

I've been able to handle the NRX several times but not the MB Addermine. From what i see in pictures, the Addermine has a nicer handle than the NRX; but again, I feel as though that 40% deal is too good to pass up lol. Especially with what you said regarding the warranties too. NRX it is for me! :P

1 hour ago, NorcalBassin said:

The Addermine is unquestionably an excellent spinning rod as well, but I predominantly use mine for horizontal drop shot and small swimbaits or underspins due to its softer tip. NRX 852 (IMO) is better for bottom contact methods, and since that's your primary intended use and you have that great 40% off deal it will be tough to beat. That being said, all of the rods mentioned so far are high performers and you would likely be happy with any one of them.

Ahh i see, yes i agree that 40% deal is far too tempting! I think, with everyone's input, I'm going to go with the NRX 852S! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×