PABassFish007

24v trolling motor wiring

Hi, 

Im not good at electrical work and am looking for insight on how to hook the 24 volt trolling motor up to 2 batteries. This is for a jon boat. 

Is it positive and negetive wire from each battery then to motor or poisitive to positive and neg to neg. 

What gauge wire do i use?

Thanks. 

24v_wiring.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, PABassFish007 said:

Thanks!

Is a 4 gauge wire good enough for the connection between 2 batteries?

4 gauge will handle up to 95 amps of current...most trolling motors draw much less.

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/support/compatibility/battery-selection-and-rigging

will help you select cable and circuit breaker size for MinnKotas - other manufacturers will have similar information.

I would use a standard off the shelf 2 gage short battery cable with crimped on terminal lugs to go between the + to - battery terminals to prevent resistance from over heating the terminal connections.

6 gage marine stranded tin plated wire red (+) and black (-) for the TM 24V connections. The 40 to 50 amp marine circuit breaker in the schematic is critical, don't over look it. With DC current wire size size can create resistance that drops the voltage, 1 size larger then needed is a fudge factor and doesn't cause any issues.

Tom

If you connect two 12 VDC batteries in parallel (plus to plus, neg to neg) simply put you'll still have 12 VDC, but twice the current capacity (run time).

If you want to create 24 VDC from two 12 VDC batteries, connect battery A's plus to battery B's minus. Then connect battery's A minus to trolling motor minus, and battery B's plus to trolling motor's plus.

BUT don't forget fuses and/or breakers. You'll want an inline fuse of appropriate rating as close to the battery bank as possible (one near battery A's minus terminal, one near battery B's plus terminal). You may also want an line breaker switch near battery B's plus terminal.

Fuse/breaker ratings will depend on how much current your trolling motor draws. See the specs or ask your dealer. You can probably get away without an inline breaker, but don't consider running without fuses close to the battery bank (fire hazard).

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 1:29 PM, WRB said:

I would use a standard off the shelf 2 gage short battery cable with crimped on terminal lugs to go between the + to - battery terminals to prevent resistance from over heating the terminal connections.

6 gage marine stranded tin plated wire red (+) and black (-) for the TM 24V connections. The 40 to 50 amp marine circuit breaker in the schematic is critical, don't over look it. With DC current wire size size can create resistance that drops the voltage, 1 size larger then needed is a fudge factor and doesn't cause any issues.

Tom

6 gauge between the battery and the circuit breaker? 

If it helps, the motor i am using is a Minn Kota 65LB.  

Just now, PABassFish007 said:

I just talked to Minn Kota Customer Service, they said to go with a 10 Guage wire.. 

Up that by a gauge for safety - go with 8 gauge.

They recommended 10 gauge for the TM setup on my canoe - I went with 8 gauge.

18 minutes ago, MN Fisher said:

Up that by a gauge for safety - go with 8 gauge.

They recommended 10 gauge for the TM setup on my canoe - I went with 8 gauge.

Sounds good

DC is different then AC, larger wire size needed to prevent severe voltage drop over wire length. if your battery supply is over 20' wire length away, larger size wire is a good idea.

Think of voltage as power and amperage as flow pressure, if you restrict the flow pressure it creates resistance that drops the power like too small a water hose diameter.

Nearly all bass boats today are wired with 6 gage for the front trolling motor from the battery for good reasons. 8 gage stranded tin plated marine wire should be the minimum size. Why tin plate?, you can solder it and prevents corrosion. Why stranded wire?, increases the surface area the voltage travel on and improves flexibility to prevent wire breakage.

Tom

• Like 1