Underrated lures / companies? Are we paying for names?

billmac

What do you think are the lures or lure companies that are underrated, perhaps because they are less expensive than some of their counterparts?  For example, I've found Cotton Cordell rattletrap type baits in Walmart for around $3 each.  Does this mean they are somehow inferior?  I love Rapala lures, but they are priced like they are made from platinum.  Are their cheaper cousins really inferior, or are we paying for the name?  There are a million soft plastic baits out there.  Are they really all that different from each other?

• Like 1

Like most things, it's not a simple answer. You get what you pay for, but you also pay a premium for some names. You're also paying for R&D, marketing, sponsorships, etc. too, so you can't always see that in the product.

I've always been curious how some companies can can keep such a tight control on prices regardless of the retailer, like Shimano, their stuff is basically the same price everywhere until it goes to clearance.

• Super User

Years ago I attended a seminar & the guest speaker was Tom Mann. The question was asked why does he make so many different lures in so many different colors.

He answer, " To catch the fisherman, a bass has never put a penny in my pocket."

Developing a lure that catches bass is the easy part just look at Crème's Scoundrels, simple yet effective!

• Like 3

I got a cotton Cordell lipless and was not that impressed. I feel like in general, you get what you pay for but there are definitely some cheap gems and some overpriced stuff. 

I feel like cheap soft plastics you can get away with but a lot of the cheap hardbaits have bad hardware so you end up swapping out hooks anyway. 

• Super User
49 minutes ago, Catt said:

Years ago I attended a seminar & the guest speaker was Tom Mann. The question was asked why does he make so many different lures in so many different colors.

He answer, " To catch the fisherman, a bass has never put a penny in my pocket."

Developing a lure that catches bass is the easy part just look at Crème's Scoundrels, simple yet effective!

Off topic, Tom Mann was special and after all these years he stands out from all the other pro's I have ever met as the friendliest man with a wonderful sense of humor.

The time and effort to develop a new lure that will sell, catch fish and fishermen then getting it on the market is part of the original cost. 

Nick Creme developed soft plastic used today,  took him years and was the first to market plastic worms successfully. 

Cheap hard lures are usually knock off's produced over seas with inferior components and rarely achieve the action the original had that made them successful.

Finding original lures that have been forgotten and still work at a bargain price is a better option then buying knock off's. Upgrade the hooks and you see quickly why higher end lures cost more.

Tom

• Like 2

Cotton Cordell lipless cranks are a low cost gem. They have a unique sound and action. 

Most of the time I throw a ratl trap or redeye shad, but on occasion the cotton Cordell is what the fish want.

• Like 1

• Super User

Cordell Spots are under $1.90 at most big box retailers. The Spot or Super Spot dates back to the Rattle Trap era, not a knock off lure. Cotton Cordell's Red Fin and Pencil Popper are preferred by striper anglers.

Tom

• Like 4

• Super User

Crème's Scoundrels, simple yet effective!

Gary Yamamoto's Senko, simple yet effective!

Johnson's Beatle Spin, simple yet effective!

Bill Lewis's Rat-L-Trap, simple yet effective!

Seeing a trend yet?

We do a whole lot of research and development based on the idea of appealing to the bass. But the reality is if the lure doesn't appeal to angler, ya got nothing!

Once that's accomplished you can charge what ya want ?

Edited by Catt
Operator Error
  • Like 2

• Super User
2 minutes ago, Catt said:

Crème's Scoundrels, simple yet effective!

Gary Yamamoto's Senko, simple yet effective!

Johnson's Beatle Spin, simple yet effective!

Bill Lewis's Rat-L-Trap, simple yet effective!

Seeing a trend yet?

We do a whole lot of research and development based on the idea of appealing to the bass. But the reality is if the lure doesn't appeal to angler, ya got nothing!

Once that's accomplished you can change what ya want ?

I agree! Some of the best ones are not always the fanciest, or most expensive. Lots of lures made to appeal to a fisherman first, the bass second

• Like 1

It's like any other product, more marketing/fancier packaging means higher prices. I think if you want a mix of quality and lower prices, look at smaller companies like Siebert Outdoors. I could probably get by with just Zoom and Berkley plastics. A lot of plastics are very similar in presentation. Formulas will vary, different scents, ElaZtech, etc. but essentially they are all imitating the same things. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

Underrated baits ~ 

Rapala Subwalk

Scrounger head

Single Oklahoma Blade Spinnerbait

Drop Shot Craw

A-Jay

Rapala Subwalk fished above shallow weedbeds in the spring! :cheer:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Super User

There are plenty of baits that are affordable and have been around for decades.  A couple of examples are the Cotton Cordell Ripplin Redfin, Smithwick Rogue and the Norman Deep Little N and other Norman baits. Here's something crazy.  Did you know the Bandit 100-200 has been around for over thirty years?  I'm old I guess.

Are the cheaper baits really inferior? No. The Cotton Cordell Super Spot is a proven fish catcher at $1.99. My favorite Lipless just happens to be the $15.99 LC LV 500, but that doesn't mean a $1.99 bait wont catch a fish or two. My buddy swears by those Super Spots.

• Super User

Some "house brands" are actually name brands with less expensive hooks and specific limited colors for that store. Other "house brands" are low price imitation knock offs that lack the action needed. You should determine the difference before spending any money on them, better paying for 1 lure that works then 2 or 3 that don't work.

Hard baits that date back 30 to 40 years like Bomber, Smithwick, Norman, Bagley, Arbogast, Creek Chub, Rapala, Storm, etc., no longer are independant companies, they have been bought out, most by Pure Fishing. What does this have to do with the lures? New multi cavity tooling for higher volume production that can change the original lures action negatively. Finding the "original" name brand lures can be a task because you are competing with other knowledgeable anglers hunting for the same lures.

I like to shop at out of the way mom & pop tackle stores and look for older packaged lures that indicate the vintage of the lures.

Tom

• Super User
10 minutes ago, billmac said:

I think Rapala is still its own company.

Nope - they're owned by SOFINA, which is a holding company headquartered in Belgium.

10 hours ago, A-Jay said:

Underrated baits ~ 

Rapala Subwalk

Scrounger head

Single Oklahoma Blade Spinnerbait

Drop Shot Craw

A-Jay

where can I find one of them A-Jay baits? I bet they are a killer on smallies. :goofy1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2