Jump to content
TxHawgs

Dedicated Chatterbait Rod

Recommended Posts

Currently using an all graphite G Loomis GLX CBR855 it's a med-heavy mod fast rod. I fish east TX and catch some big fish on a chatterbait and most of the time once I get em in the boat the bait just falls out of their mouths. It's not a dull hook. So I want a new rod anyway and was thinking of going heavy mod-fast?  G Loomis IMX PRO heavy mod-fast perhaps, never held one. Was looking at the Shimano Expride online but dont know what their glass rods are like, one I was looking at was a 7'2" heavy mod action. So any thoughts suggestions, what your using ect. I will be fishing fluoro on this setup it wont be a braid setup, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This fall I started throwing chatterbaits on a MB Hyuga 72H. It’s an XH/R rod and it seems to give really solid hooksets and has enough bend to be pretty forgiving when it comes to keeping tension on.  I do use 40lb braid on it to give better casting distance, better hooksets, and a better chance of being able to “land” whatever undereater log I end up setting my chatterbaits into.  

 

I think the Hyuga line has been discontinued and they seem to be getting harder to source, but in any case I’m starting to feel like a heavier powe and slowr

action combo is really what I prefer for chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, and really anytimg that has a big single hook and is going to be in motion when the hit happnes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fish them a ton. The rod I'm using now is awesome for them. It's a 6' 9" H/F Hammer Rods Micro. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, fishwizzard said:

This fall I started throwing chatterbaits on a MB Hyuga 72H. It’s an XH/R rod and it seems to give really solid hooksets and has enough bend to be pretty forgiving when it comes to keeping tension on.  I do use 40lb braid on it to give better casting distance, better hooksets, and a better chance of being able to “land” whatever undereater log I end up setting my chatterbaits into.  

 

I think the Hyuga line has been discontinued and they seem to be getting harder to source, but in any case I’m starting to feel like a heavier powe and slowr

action combo is really what I prefer for chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, and really anytimg that has a big single hook and is going to be in motion when the hit happnes. 

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Are they coming out w a new line of rods to replace the Hyuga that you know of?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For Chatterbaits I like the Abu Garcia Veritas 7-1 MH Moderate Fast Generation 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Food for thought ~  

 

http://tackletour.com/reviewegjackhammer.html

 

A-Jay

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TxHawgs said:

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Are they coming out w a new line of rods to replace the Hyuga that you know of?

There is very little information about the Hyuga line out there other then a thread on tackletour. If you’re interested in trying to pick one up I was suggest calling the Tackle Trap and seeing if they could still source one for you, otherwise you would have to hunt around and try to find a overseas site that has one in stock.  

 

However, heaver rods with a slower action are far more common in JDM rods, so its very likely that with enough looking around you can find another one that suits your needs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dobyns 736 cb Glass. Hands down the best Chatterbait rod I’ve ever used. Daiwa tatula 7’2 Glass gets good reviews on here too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dedicated chatterbait rod is a Dobyns Champion 736 CB Glass composite rod.  That's what it was designed for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm also in the Dobyns Champ 736 cb glass camp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TxHawgs said:

Currently using an all graphite G Loomis GLX CBR855 it's a med-heavy mod fast rod. I fish east TX and catch some big fish on a chatterbait and most of the time once I get em in the boat the bait just falls out of their mouths. It's not a dull hook. So I want a new rod anyway and was thinking of going heavy mod-fast?  G Loomis IMX PRO heavy mod-fast perhaps, never held one. Was looking at the Shimano Expride online but dont know what their glass rods are like, one I was looking at was a 7'2" heavy mod action. So any thoughts suggestions, what your using ect. I will be fishing fluoro on this setup it wont be a braid setup, thanks.

What do you suppose is happening?  Are you thinking the hook isn't being properly set, and a stouter rod will make up for that? or that you are tearing a hole into the beast's mouth and the hook falls out as soon as pressure is released?

 

Two different issues with different solutions IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phenix X11 composite deep cranking rod. 

 

 

 

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sticking with graphite for tossing 3/8th chatterbaits. The last few years I've been using a 7'3 MH *** but this year i'm rolling with a GLX 893c. After doing some research and reaching out to Jeff Gustafson (Shimano pro) I've learned that the 893c's allegedly excel at spinnerbaits/chatters/buzzbaits along with all of it's bottom contact applications. A lot of the loomis guys toss chatters on a 839c. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

megabass gen 1 orochi XX diablo spec R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, punch said:

I'm sticking with graphite for tossing 3/8th chatterbaits. The last few years I've been using a 7'3 MH *** but this year i'm rolling with a GLX 893c. After doing some research and reaching out to Jeff Gustafson (Shimano pro) I've learned that the 893c's allegedly excel at spinnerbaits/chatters/buzzbaits along with all of it's bottom contact applications. A lot of the loomis guys toss chatters on a 839c. 

Wonder how much different that rod is than the 893 NRX, I have 3 of those. 

14 hours ago, LionHeart said:

What do you suppose is happening?  Are you thinking the hook isn't being properly set, and a stouter rod will make up for that? or that you are tearing a hole into the beast's mouth and the hook falls out as soon as pressure is released?

 

Two different issues with different solutions IMO.

Yea I feel I need more rod as the hooks not penetrating. Not on every fish but too many.

18 hours ago, fishwizzard said:

There is very little information about the Hyuga line out there other then a thread on tackletour. If you’re interested in trying to pick one up I was suggest calling the Tackle Trap and seeing if they could still source one for you, otherwise you would have to hunt around and try to find a overseas site that has one in stock.  

 

However, heaver rods with a slower action are far more common in JDM rods, so its very likely that with enough looking around you can find another one that suits your needs. 

Was looking at the specs on the Destroyer Javelin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote for the Dobyns Champion 736 glass. Light sensitive and well balanced for a glass rod. It has the perfect amount of give to really let the fish get the bait but still has the backbone to set the hook.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like my Dobyns Champion 704 and 734 paired with OG Zillions.  I throw the 3/8 and 1/2 oz versions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some that I've used and would consider excellent choices.  I've owned and used all these pretty extensively.  

 

Dobyns 736 CB Glass

Daiwa Zillion 7'2" MH/R Glass

Megabass XX Diablo Spec-R

Megabass Black Jungle - Deep Crank/Slow Roll (7'1" MH/R) <--My current favorite

 

I currently use both the Megabass models I listed.  The Dobyns and Zillion performed great but the lock rings dug into my hand/finger to the point where I decided to sell them - Just the way I fish I guess, would still recommend either since most other people don't seem to have that issue.  The Dobyns is the most powerful of these 4 rods.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2019 at 11:54 PM, fishwizzard said:

This fall I started throwing chatterbaits on a MB Hyuga 72H. It’s an XH/R rod and it seems to give really solid hooksets and has enough bend to be pretty forgiving when it comes to keeping tension on.  I do use 40lb braid on it to give better casting distance, better hooksets, and a better chance of being able to “land” whatever undereater log I end up setting my chatterbaits into.  

 

I think the Hyuga line has been discontinued and they seem to be getting harder to source, but in any case I’m starting to feel like a heavier powe and slowr

action combo is really what I prefer for chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, and really anytimg that has a big single hook and is going to be in motion when the hit happnes. 

I threw a 1/2 oz double willow spinnerbait on my 72H Hyuga and was surpized how well it handled it.  I bet it would be great with 3/4 oz spinnerbaits and chatterbaits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NorthernBasser said:

I see a lot of love for the Champion 736 CB Glass. And thoughts on the 735 CB Glass? 

I have the 735 CB and it is still a little more powerful than I would like.  It is a nice rod, but I am still looking for something else while using it.  I have a glass crankbait rod I throw lighter chatters on and love it.  It is waaaaay underpowered, but for some reason I love it and catch a lot of bass with it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BaitFinesse said:

I threw a 1/2 oz double willow spinnerbait on my 72H Hyuga and was surpized how well it handled it.  I bet it would be great with 3/4 oz spinnerbaits and chatterbaits.

I use mine for 1/2 chatters and spinners and it casts them very well but I do think I am going to buy heavier ones of both as I replace lost 1/2oz ones. I like the 72H a lot better at the lower end of it's range then at the higher, it casts the lighter stuff quite well but still has a lot of gas in the tank.  About the heaviest thing I throw on mine anymore is a s-waver 168.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fishin Dad said:

I have the 735 CB and it is still a little more powerful than I would like.  It is a nice rod, but I am still looking for something else while using it.  I have a glass crankbait rod I throw lighter chatters on and love it.  It is waaaaay underpowered, but for some reason I love it and catch a lot of bass with it.  

That's it right there.  I'd love any rod I caught a lot of bass on.  :teeth:  Might be way under powered, but obviously it is getting the job done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last season I fished my vibrating jigs exclusively on  7'4" composite Quantum KVD Cranking rods.

These sticks performed as I had hoped; perhaps even a little better than I had expected.

 At the end of the season, I contemplated switching to glass, just to see.

Prior to falling in love & eventually using these composite sticks, much of my 'moderate rod' needs were met by a couple of classic fiberglass rods spun up by Lamiglas. 

Always enjoyed fishing them but they had been sort of put up and forgotten about recently.

Mostly because I always felt the handles were a little too short.  

Decided to fix that and place them back into active duty. 

After a brief stint in the A-Jay custom rod shop, the overhaul was complete.

Matched them up with EXO 200's & 20lb Tatsu and we are good to go.

Love the Hawg Tech handles on these btw.

A-Jay

 

56407525_329825407676902_7290115572258308096_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=354bbcd7b627092a448a98ca845e3168&oe=5D46CEA5

56734859_1632631716880746_7151501734777454592_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=47e768170e6d314908dc57b614c794e5&oe=5D085B42

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the glass camp for chatterbaits, my rod of choice is the Phenix XG-3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...