Harold Scoggins

JACK HAMMER MOD

You might remember that awhile back I was somewhat disappointed with the Jack Hammer in that it appeared that the blade could not be removed. Well, I decided to have a go at it last night and found that if I finessed the eye with small needle nose pliers, the eye would open up. Having accomplished that, I also removed the skirt so that I could retie my own with ventilated material and flashabou. When removing the stock skirt, I discovered why some folks were having problems with skirts coming off. The thread used was only secured using only one half hitch and no glue. IMO, if one decides to hand tie their jigs/flys, they should learn to master the whip knot using a whip finisher tool and then apply glue to the knot. (unless you use wire) That being said, my Jack Hammer now has a properly tied skirt (using a whip knot and glue) and a Turbo blade which I prefer over the stock blade. Should you decide to change out your blades on the Jack Hammer, be careful and take your time when opening the eye. Also, take note of the small slot (second picture) that the eye is anchored in.

553.jpg

554.jpg

555.jpg

Man the jack hammers are an expensive bait to use just for the jig head. There has got to be a better option for you.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, riverbasser said:

Man the jack hammers are an expensive bait to use just for the jig head. There's has got to be a better option for you.

Well, IMO I took a good bait and made it better. Besides, I'm retired and if didn't have a bunch of skirt material, turbo blades, flashabou, and a fly/jig tying vise, I'd go crazy.

28 minutes ago, Harold Scoggins said:

also removed the skirt so that I could retie my own with ventilated material and flashabou.

What do you mean by “ventilated material”.  That skirt looked awesome and I have some flashabou sitting around, might give that a go.   Thanks

1 hour ago, Fishin Dad said:

What do you mean by “ventilated material”.  

http://www.lurepartsonline.com/Online-Store/Silicone-Material/Ventilated-Air-Trap-Skirt-Material.html

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Harold Scoggins said:

a Turbo blade which I prefer over the stock blade

That turbo blade looks interesting.  I am expecting the holes would bubble maybe?  How  does it fish compared to the stock blade?

Thanks for the link.  Looks interesting.   May have to give it a try.  

14 hours ago, Harold Scoggins said:

Well, IMO I took a good bait and made it better. Besides, I'm retired and if didn't have a bunch of skirt material, turbo blades, flashabou, and a fly/jig tying vise, I'd go crazy.

How about you build them and I'll buy them from you?? 

47 minutes ago, michaelsrex said:

How about you build them and I'll buy them from you?? 

Just build your own. I haven't made any with the turbo blades, although I have some. I pour mine on a poison head with a 5/0 spinnerbait hook and a wire keeper. Shown with a regular shaker blade, black nickel shaker blade, and a coffin blade that I powder painted myself. I pour the wire in the head though, so there's not switching out blades after I make mine. 

No photo description available.

• Like 1