Quarry Man

Choosing Jack Hammer Colors?

One of my best producing techniques on all but ultra-clear water last year was the chatterbait. I now have a nice assortment of baits in various colors, sizes, and styles. I am planning on throwing the jackhammer in tournaments this year. I have one now, but am waiting to use it, in case I can't pick any up in time (which would stink).

watched a great *** video on chatterbait color and went onto tw and analyzed the jack hammer colors. these are my top five:

White - matte color is best when fish are feeding on shad on cloudy days

Green Shad - reflective sparkles are best when fish are feeding on shad on sunny days

Green Pumpkin - matte color is best when fish are feeding on bluegill on cloudy days

White Delight - reflective sparkles are best when fish are feeding on bluegill on sunny days

Black Blue - Best at night and in stained water

I feel as if I can be extremely effective with only these colors, but I know there are other ones that work. I want to know what conditions the following colors are best in...

Purple (nit jack hammer)

chartreuse sexy shad

chartreuse white

bretts bluegill (this vs other bluegill colors like green pumpkin)

red craw (early spring water temps at 53*ish)

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Z-Man_Evergreen_Chatterbait_Jack_Hammer/descpage-ZEJACKX.html

I only have two colors, white and green pumpkin because the tidal Potomac is always murky.  Both have the Yamamoto Zako on them, white or green pumpkin.  I am not very original.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OnthePotomac said:

I only have two colors, white and green pumpkin because the tidal Potomac is always murky.  Both have the Yamamoto Zako on them, white or green pumpkin.  I am not very original.

you like to keep it simple, and do it well. I am jealous!

6 hours ago, Quarry Man said:

One of my best producing techniques on all but ultra-clear water last year was the chatterbait. I now have a nice assortment of baits in various colors, sizes, and styles. I am planning on throwing the jackhammer in tournaments this year. I have one now, but am waiting to use it, in case I can't pick any up in time (which would stink).

watched a great *** video on chatterbait color and went onto tw and analyzed the jack hammer colors. these are my top five:

White - matte color is best when fish are feeding on shad on cloudy days

Green Shad - reflective sparkles are best when fish are feeding on shad on sunny days

Green Pumpkin - matte color is best when fish are feeding on bluegill on cloudy days

White Delight - reflective sparkles are best when fish are feeding on bluegill on sunny days

Black Blue - Best at night and in stained water

I feel as if I can be extremely effective with only these colors, but I know there are other ones that work. I want to know what conditions the following colors are best in...

Purple (nit jack hammer)

chartreuse sexy shad

chartreuse white

bretts bluegill (this vs other bluegill colors like green pumpkin)

red craw (early spring water temps at 53*ish)

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Z-Man_Evergreen_Chatterbait_Jack_Hammer/descpage-ZEJACKX.html

I've not had much luck with purple bladed jigs. 

The baits with chartreuse do well when the water is stained or especially when the water is greenish colored. 

The red baits work great early in the year and in muddy water.

Don't be afraid to fish black and blue during the daylight in clear water. I've caught some really nice ones on it in clear water. 

I don't use the Jackhammer but make all the similar colors in my own baits.

• Like 1

There’s something about the spot remover color that just seems to work anywhere more then the others here. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bluebasser86 said:

I've not had much luck with purple bladed jigs. 

The baits with chartreuse do well when the water is stained or especially when the water is greenish colored. 

The red baits work great early in the year and in muddy water.

Don't be afraid to fish black and blue during the daylight in clear water. I've caught some really nice ones on it in clear water. 

I don't use the Jackhammer but make all the similar colors in my own baits.

thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.