ChrisD46

*Finesse Neko Rig Anyone ?

*Thinking out loud ...

I see Zman just came out with a "Neko ShroomZ" worm head weight in 1/20th , 1/15th , 1/10th and 1/6th oz. sizes  ... While my first thought would be to use this new Neko ShroomZ weight (1/10th or 1/6th oz. weight) with a 5" Zinkerz stick worm  , with a #1 VMC Neko hook and a standard size o-ring - I also thought up a new (to me) category of : "Finesse Neko" using a Big TRD , 1/10th oz. Shroomz Neko weight with a #4 VMC Neko hook . Also a: "Super Finesse Neko" using the standard smaller TRD (or 1/2 of a Zinkerz) , 1/15th oz. Neko Shroomz weight and a VMC #6 Neko hook ... I would have to go to a hard ware store for smaller O-rings than standard for the Finesse Neko set ups but I certainly think worth trying ... *A green pumpkin , standard size or Big TRD using a "super finesse / finesse  Neko" set up could look just like a small craw in the defensive position scurrying along the bottom . 

* Other Zman TRD type elztech soft plastics  worth experimenting with would be : TRD HogZ , Hula Stickz and Trick Shotz. (*the TRD HogZ and Hula Stickz  appears to be tailor made for a finesse neko with a flat bottom for the neko weight and "claws" that will stand upright on the retrieve and at rest) .

* Of the potential "Neko Finesse" setups - I believe the Big TRD may have just discovered a new reason  for it's existence ! Just the right size , flexible elaztech soft plastic will bend easily on the Neko twitch / hop retrieve and the elaztech material will also aid in the tail standing upright on it's own with tail action in any sort of current (i.e. neko dead sticking ?)

*If the Neko Shroomz weights are too large for the Big TRD / standard size TRD - then small nail weights in the proper sizes could also be obtained from a hard ware store along with smaller than standard size o-rings .

*Rod & Reel would be same as your current Ned Rig set up : 6'10' ~ 7' ML fast action spinning rod ; 1500 ~ 2000 size spinning reel with #8lb. ~ #10lb. braid + #5lb. ~ #8lb. FC leader.

So there you have it : "Finesse / Super Finesse Neko" rig anyone ?

I started messing around with Neko style last season some, I like fishing it. I do the nail weight thing. A couple of sizes. Someone gave me a few Neko Skirted nail weights last season but I have not tried them yet. I work in hydraulics so O-rings are not a problem to get. The correct size for the diameter of plastics you’re rigging is important. 

My rod and reel is a version of your description that you think is the right set up. 

As soon as my waters clear up - I will slay bass on the above rigs ... Zman elaztech soft plastic material may be the best made for the Neko Rig  going ... Happy to have the combo all to myself on the lakes I fish !!

Interesting.  I am interested in getting more finesse oriented.