Bdnoble84

Spinnerbait mold options

I’m looking at do it spinnerbait molds on barlows tackle and am having a hard time deciding what i want. Im looking for something versitile, yet excels at burning through current. Ive always leaned toward type “h” style spinner baits for this application, but im not sure this is truely the most stable option or just what ive developed a comfort level with. I am looking for suggestions here.

I would definitely look at the Ultra-Minnow by Do-It. Slim profile and gives a lot of flash because of the flat sides of the body. If you want some better pricing on molds, check out Zeiners in Wichita, KS

7 hours ago, cadman said:

I would definitely look at the Ultra-Minnow by Do-It. Slim profile and gives a lot of flash because of the flat sides of the body. If you want some better pricing on molds, check out Zeiners in Wichita, KS

Thanks cadman. I had that in my cart and took it out. How does that one pour with the detailing? This is new water for me. Im at about 100$ with wire hooks and blades and hardware.  Have mustad 32608 hooks in the cart. These a good middle of the road option.

I looked at the zeiners web site and prices look comparable to barlows

As far as pourability (is that a word?) the mold pours fine no problem. If you are placing an order for items, I would definitely get a can of "Drop-Out" . It is a mold release and it works wonders. It also helps the lead flow freely and fill better.  Now detail on the Ultra-Minnow is fair. the reason I say this, is because you can get a mold that was cast really well and the detail is great, or you can get a mold that was cast ok and the detail is ok.  However you will get detail. As far as hooks go, the Mustad 32608 are really sharp hooks, they are worth there money.

I believe the Ultra-Minnow mold is cheaper at Zeiners, however I don't know what there other components cost. Good Luck

• Like 1

I would like to add if you plan on making "burning baits" downsize the wire frame and blades. For example if you look at the spinnerbait frame chart it will recommend a certain size frame for say a 3/8oz bait. It will also recommend a #4 and 4.5 willow as the standard setup. Pour your baits on a 1/4oz frame and use 3.5 and 4 willows (same setup War Eagle uses on their screaming eagle baits. My spinnerbaits I make the same way but for a different reason as I need a small profile bait that doesn't roll in the river current.

Allen

Actually munkin, it sounds like we have similar needs in our spinnerbaits as 75% of my fishing is in current and i need a bait that wont roll. I have yet to place my order to barlows, hit a bit of a budget snag. Hopefully once i get our tax return this week or next i can find a couple extra bucks in there.