dgkasper58

Buying over seas

I really have not ventured out into the buying overseas market but I was wondering if anybody does?  I tested the water with some really cheap stuff (hook keepers, bait keepers, and some plastic swimbaits with free shipping for a total of $4.

I feel that this may start another bait monkey habit of cruising some sites finding some knockoffs/new stuff for cheap.

Just wondering if any of you already do this and how comfortable you are with their quality control.

I do often but more for JDM baits/colors than cheap knockoffs. I've never had any issues ordering overseas. 

• Like 2

I had placed several orders on fishing related items from Aliexpress last year. No issues with anything I ordered.

Some of the items I ordered in November 2018 arrived in January 2019 If you don't mind waiting you can save some money ordering items overseas.

• Like 1

I ordered my Scorpion from Japan Reels and had it in like 4 days.

I order lots of reels and lures from Japan. Mostly because there are things offered there that aren't available here and the USD to JPY conversion rate can make some products much cheaper than what they are on the USDM.

Ordered a BFS rod and JDM lures on AliExpress with no problems Shipping took from 3-4 weeks to arrive

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

I do often but more for JDM baits/colors than cheap knockoffs. I've never had any issues ordering overseas. 

X2

Have ordered several items that were CDM - Chinese Domestic Market from Ali Express. Some were fishing , such as small micro plastics, others were small electronic items, for example a Bluetooth speaker.  No issues with quality as my expectations were inline with what I paid.  Prices were amazing and included free shipping. 

As was mentioned above by NyWayfarer and Fisher, you may wait 4 - 6 weeks in some cases. 

I'm not sure what would happen if a return was needed, which is why I limit my purchases to minor items that have a low chance of shipping damage or if there is a problem my loss would be small.

I have ordered from China and Japan no problems, shipping does take sometime.

Is it ok to post some favorite over seas sites on here.   Just curious where to look at some of this stuff.  

I'm also interested in what items you find acceptable/comparable.  

like I said I just made my first purchase and am already wanting more. (get off my back)

2 minutes ago, dgkasper58 said:

I'm also interested in what items you find acceptable/comparable.  

like I said I just made my first purchase and am already wanting more. (get off my back)

I don't buy any knockoffs if that is what you are asking. If I buy, it is JDM stuff.

12 minutes ago, jbsoonerfan said:

I don't buy any knockoffs if that is what you are asking. If I buy, it is JDM stuff.

Yeah, I was just seeing the consensus on here.  I wasn't sure if some people had bad experiences with hooks or anything else.

I am not looking for knockoffs either.  I would like to just know some of the best places to look for JDM reels, lures, terminal, etc.   thanks for any advice

There are a lot of reputable sites to purchase from like Ichiban Tackle. Customs sometimes holds up your shipment but in the end it is worth it.

Allen

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Fishin Dad said:

I am not looking for knockoffs either.  I would like to just know some of the best places to look for JDM reels, lures, terminal, etc.   thanks for any advice

This is very low-effort, but this is a screenshot of my fishing/general tackle/jdm bookmark folder. 

QjItMyMl.png?1

I have ordered from a bunch of Japanese sites and never had an issue.  

• Like 1

Thanks guys, that’s what I was looking for.  Appreciate it!

I do, for fun. I never order the hooks, though. In fact I always pay full price for brand name hooks. Too many bootlegs out there. I’ll even buy the $15-20 plastic reels just for kicks (they work, but have weak drags and cheap bearings and metal that usually corrode).

The best thing I’ve found is these weights. They’re cheap and they work. No way I’m losing 15, $7.00 tungsten weights, a $1.00 plastic and a $1.00 hook a day. That is literally $135.00 for a few hours of fishing. And I literally lose this many rigs per day. Or even more. I throw thousands of dollars worth of rigs into the water every season. I make up the cost of rods and reels just using cheaper weights.

Though, I was at BPS yesterday and found a 25 pack  of steel bullet weights for 3.49. So I may be using those from now on.

I just got a $3 swim bait from China and it is great, except for the crappy hooks. Awaiting 2 fake dark sleepers to. Ordered 3 real ones from TW to compare them.

Yes, Ali Express is Baitmonkey, Jr.

12FF8B8A-A1D5-4437-AE3A-321010AC4F13.jpeg

21 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

18 hours ago, Harold Scoggins said:

X2

X3

• Like 1