I went to a marine dealer today and bought new bearings and seals for my boat trailer. He tried to sell me new bearing races which I told him I didn't need. He said the races should be changed anytime you replace bearings. I can't find anything wrong with the races. The hubs are over 20 years old and I have never had bearing failure while on the road. Is he telling me the truth or is he just trying to sell me something else. I felt like I had been robbed when I left there today anyway.

Inspect the Race ~ 

Examine the surface of the race as you did with the bearings.

Look for nicks and discoloration.

If you see something you are not sure about, try running your fingernail over the mark; if it catches, the race needs & should be replaced.

Typically, if you have to get new bearings it is a good idea to replace the races, too.

Also, like the bearings, the race will have an identification number stamped on one end.

btw ~ Replacing a bearing and re-using the race is like taking a shower and putting your dirty clothes back on...........

:smiley:

A-Jay

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I would replace the races. My buddy replaced the bearings a year or so ago and didn't replace the races. Something is already wrong and he thinks it's the races.

• Like 1

Why are you replacing the bearings? If you've found wear on the rollers there's a chance they transmitted wear to the races.

• Like 3

Plus, you are already there and races aren't that much. If I have to replace one blinker bulb in my headlight, I replace both. 

• Like 2

Assuming you can read the part numbers on your bearings, races and seals, you could take them to a good auto parts store i.e. NAPA of a good mom and pop. They can cross reference the numbers and look up new ones and they will be considerably cheaper than the boat dealer.

To your question, change the races. Cheap insurance.

• Like 1

It’s a mistake to save a couple of dollars by not replacing both. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, volzfan59 said:

Assuming you can read the part numbers on your bearings, races and seals, you could take them to a good auto parts store i.e. NAPA of a good mom and pop. They can cross reference the numbers and look up new ones and they will be considerably cheaper than the boat dealer.

To your question, change the races. Cheap insurance.

Yes! Stay away from the dealer. Go to NAPA, O'Reilly, Autozone, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Log Catcher said:

I can't find anything wrong with the races

A micrometer would.  Anytime two pieces of metal rub or pound against each other for an extended period of time they begin to take on a complimentary (matching) shape.  Every time.  Even if your naked eye can't see it.  Your races are going to be slightly concave in some area that doesn't match the new bearings and that will be enough to cut your bearing life in half.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have been in maintenance for over 30 + years and yes anytime you change bearings you MUST change the races because the old bearings were seated to that race even though you don’t see any damage there is 

BigAngus is spot on

• Like 4

If I am going work up the motivation to pull and replace the bearings as preventative maintenance, I sure as heck am going to replace everything in that hub because I don't want to be doing it again in the near future.  :lol: 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BigAngus752 said:

A micrometer would.  Anytime two pieces of metal rub or pound against each other for an extended period of time they begin to take on a complimentary (matching) shape.  Every time.  Even if your naked eye can't see it.  Your races are going to be slightly concave in some area that doesn't match the new bearings and that will be enough to cut your bearing life in half.  

this...……………...change the races...………………..

• Like 1

Okay so everyone agrees I am wrong and need to change the races. To answer @haggard I am replacing them because I felt like a couple of them weren't quite as smooth as I thought they should be and they may have been fine. I have bought bearings from NAPA before and I thought they were pretty expensive then. I will replace the hubs. I have never had good luck trying to replace the races and I have done a lot of mechanical type work. As for @A-Jay comment I take my clothes down to the polluted creek to wash them before putting them back on. So take that. HA HA HA.

• Haha 2

I thank everyone for their input on this. Since I never have good luck changing out the races I have ordered new hubs. The bad news is it will be two weeks before they come in.

Always replace races. It will cause premature wear on the new bearings. Ive had more trailers come in to be repaired due to not replacing the races and some will replace inside or just outside bearings. As cheap as bearings and races cost its crazy to not replace them. Very easy to change out the races too.

1 hour ago, Mw Michaelis said:

Always replace races. It will cause premature wear on the new bearings. Ive had more trailers come in to be repaired due to not replacing the races and some will replace inside or just outside bearings. As cheap as bearings and races cost its crazy to not replace them. Very easy to change out the races too.

Please enlighten me about changing out the races.The only thing I have ever been told is to use a hammer and punch to knock them out. If there is an easier way I want to hear about it. I have never had good luck changing them out.

43 minutes ago, Log Catcher said:

Please enlighten me about changing out the races.The only thing I have ever been told is to use a hammer and punch to knock them out. If there is an easier way I want to hear about it. I have never had good luck changing them out.

This vid goes through the whole process - the drivers for the races and seals can usually be rented from your local auto-parts store

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Log Catcher said:

I cant expand anymore then the video that was posted except to say if you have drums or disks make sure the brake surface is clean of grease and oils. I also recommend of you have brakes to clean them while it is apart also.

16 hours ago, MN Fisher said:

This vid goes through the whole process - the drivers for the races and seals can usually be rented from your local auto-parts store

Thanks for posting this. I did not know they made special tools for installing races. I do know how to pack bearings. @Mw Michaelis I don't have trailer brakes so I won't have any problems there to worry about.

• Like 1

You can also use the appropriately sized large socket to drive the races. Harbor freight sells a cheap giant sized socket set that works well. 

In a real pinch, you can sometimes use the old races to drive in the new races. Just make sure you can then get the old races back out. Usually, you can with a bit of fiddling.

You just want to make sure the new races are seated firmly, and make sure you don't nick the surfaces.