Ksam1234

Nucanoe pursuit vs frontier 12

I’m wondering if anyone has had experienced with these two fishing kayaks. I am looking to get a true fishing kayak/canoe that is super stable and has plenty of open deck space and customization. I fish Lake Erie in the pre spawn along the harbors and then mainly stick to smaller lakes / ponds. Wondering what is best for these situations. I fish alone 90% of the time. I prefer more stability and space over anything and being able to track well on the water. I will eventually put a trolling motor on the back. Any help would be appreciated 

I have 2 Frontiers but have not been in a Pursuit. Check Nucanoe's site for a dealer in your area and asked about a test paddle in each. I Like the Frontier and will not hesitate recommending it to someone. Its not a fast kayak but its super stable and I love how open it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimberTodd said:

I have 2 Frontiers but have not been in a Pursuit. Check Nucanoe's site for a dealer in your area and asked about a test paddle in each. I Like the Frontier and will not hesitate recommending it to someone. Its not a fast kayak but its super stable and I love how open it is.

Only thing I wonder is it really top heavy? I saw lots and lots of good reviews but then saw one bad one that made me hesitant. It mentioned the seat was high and made it top heavy and gravity was off and it rolled. It could have been human error but how do you feel?

I do not find my Frontier top heavy or tippy at all. There is a tall seat base for them and I wonder if someone use it and modified it to sit even higher. I saw a negative post a few years ago where someone was complaining that it wasnt stable, but they had the seat jacked WAY UP like a pedestal seat would be.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TimberTodd said:

I do not find my Frontier top heavy or tippy at all. There is a tall seat base for them and I wonder if someone use it and modified it to sit even higher. I saw a negative post a few years ago where someone was complaining that it wasnt stable, but they had the seat jacked WAY UP like a pedestal seat would be.

I think it was the same one I read bc it was from a few years ago ha. Awesome thanks man! Guess I’m sold. Can’t wsit to get it

If you were in Oregon i would say come over and use one of mine for a day or two. I think you will be happy with either one.

• Like 1

I own an Flint. But have test driven both the Frontier and the Pursuit.

The Frontier is just a monster on the water. You can practically stand on the gunnels and it won't tip. It's a wider beam than the Pursuit, but I think it paddles very well for its width. The deck space in both boats is fantastic. There is room to lay a rod or two beside the seat if you wanted. You can literally walk around the deck. 

In comparison, the Pursuit does a little bit better in the bigger, open water. It has a bit more efficient hull design to handle the chop and some current. I would also prefer the Pursuit if I were regularly making long distance paddles. But don't rule out the Frontier! If you are mainly using it on small lakes, and small water on Erie, the Frontier would be perfect! The main difference between the two boats is the beam and length. Let us know what you decide on! 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, IgotWood said:

I own an Flint. But have test driven both the Frontier and the Pursuit.

The Frontier is just a monster on the water. You can practically stand on the gunnels and it won't tip. It's a wider beam than the Pursuit, but I think it paddles very well for its width. The deck space in both boats is fantastic. There is room to lay a rod or two beside the seat if you wanted. You can literally walk around the deck. 

In comparison, the Pursuit does a little bit better in the bigger, open water. It has a bit more efficient hull design to handle the chop and some current. I would also prefer the Pursuit if I were regularly making long distance paddles. But don't rule out the Frontier! If you are mainly using it on small lakes, and small water on Erie, the Frontier would be perfect! The main difference between the two boats is the beam and length. Let us know what you decide on! 

Awesome thank you for your help. I’m pretty sure I’m going to get the frontier 12! And I plan to add a transom trolling motor sometime but paddling is fine to. I’m in no hurry when fishing. I was looking for more stability and space which sounds like the frontier has ! Now just waiting for some open water