Hey there, first post on BR. I've come here for more info than I can even comprehend so I figured it was time to sign up.

I'm just getting into baitcasters (grew up walleye fishing), and I just received my Colt 705CB in the mail. I was planning to use it as a crank/jerkbait rod. But I feel like it's a little too soft for me as i'm trying to use it with other treble hooked baits as well and not just cranking. I read somewhere that Dobyns CB rods are rated on a crankbait scale and not your normal power scale. My question is will a 703c (MH/fast) be more fitting for multiple treble hook presentations as opposed to that parabolic crankbait style the 705cb (MH/MF) has. Thanks in advance!

Also - plan on picking up a Fury 704c for jigs, texas rigs, spinnerbaits. good idea?

EDIT: I’ve called dobyns and unfortunately for me all the guy are at the classic and can’t get back to me for a few days

Spot on. I use my Fury 733 for all my treble hook baits, and the 704 is a great all purpose rod.

1 hour ago, Joshua van Wyk said:

Spot on. I use my Fury 733 for all my treble hook baits, and the 704 is a great all purpose rod.

Is it true that the power is different with lengths? For example I’ve heard the 734 is more stout than a 704, could just be someone’s opinion I suppose. Thanks!

I have the 7 foot MH/F Dobyns Colt. It's a dang good spinner+chatterbait rod. I don't hesitate to use Crankbaits or Jerkbaits on it. It runs closer to moderate than my other MH/f rods. Hope that helps.

2 minutes ago, KentuckyBlueBass said:

I have the 7 foot MH/F Dobyns Colt. It's a dang good spinner+chatterbait rod. I don't hesitate to use Crankbaits or Jerkbaits on it. It runs closer to moderate than my other MH/f rods. Hope that helps.

That's what I wanted to hear! I feel like the 703c will have enough back bone to handle spinnerbaits and jerk baits but moderate enough to keep a crankbait fish hooked like a dedicated CB rod ?

I own a fury 703 mh/f and it fishes more like a medium with a moderate fast taper. It is my goto spinnerbait and rattletrap rod.  The 705cb IMO is too soft to fish a spinnerbait and trap especially around any type of grass. I’ve even thrown shallow diving cranks on it

32 minutes ago, teamfyss said:

That's what I wanted to hear! I feel like the 703c will have enough back bone to handle spinnerbaits and jerk baits but moderate enough to keep a crankbait fish hooked like a dedicated CB rod ?

Exactly. This rod is excellent for (almost) all moving baits. I throw all my cranks on it, except my extra deep divers, and have no problem keeping fish hooked.

2 hours ago, KentuckyBlueBass said:

Exactly. This rod is excellent for (almost) all moving baits. I throw all my cranks on it, except my extra deep divers, and have no problem keeping fish hooked.

do you think you can throw 1/4oz squarebills on it?

12 hours ago, teamfyss said:

do you think you can throw 1/4oz squarebills on it?

Yes

1 hour ago, Jcj90 said:

Yes

Perfect thanks for the help guys