Jump to content
rtwvumtneer6

Acts of kindness... Where do you fall?

Recommended Posts

We all "give back" in our own way.  I fish a lot of Wounded Warrior type tournaments where we take wounded servicemen out for a fun tournament.  Although I think I get more out of that than they do. Absolutely one of the MOST rewarding things you can ever do.   

 

I have given out literally hundreds of bags of Senko's and hooks while on the water and showed fishermen how to rig them.  One year I was in Wisconsin fishing after water skiing time had ended and was working down a bank.  I had a good pattern set up and the bass were cooperating really well.  I had caught around 20 down a 500 yard bank.  I came upon a Bass Boat tied to a dock and 5 guys sitting around a firepit.  Normally I would just swing wide and avoid any appearance of a conflict but sencing they were fishermen I decided to go ahead and fish.  Caught 2 right in front of them.  They got up and walked out on their dock (I had already started to move on and they struck up a conversation so I slowed down.  They said they had been there a week and caught 2 bass.  I told them that was great and that I caught 20 coming down the bank.  They didn't believe me.  I told them I could tell them the next spot that I was going to catch one, they laughed.....I proceeded to make a short cast and caught a nice 2lber.  They got quiet, then one said if I was that good, I should be able to call my next one as well......I did and caught another nice one.  They were amazed so I got on the TM and motored back to their dock tied off and proceeded to give them a little class on a Senko (they never heard of it).  Gave each one a bag of 297 Senko's and Gamakatsu EWG hooks.  Pics are from that year trip.  Smallmouth and Largemouth

 

 

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TOXIC said:

We all "give back" in our own way.  I fish a lot of Wounded Warrior type tournaments where we take wounded servicemen out for a fun tournament.  Although I think I get more out of that than they do. Absolutely one of the MOST rewarding things you can ever do.   

 

I have given out literally hundreds of bags of Senko's and hooks while on the water and showed fishermen how to rig them.  One year I was in Wisconsin fishing after water skiing time had ended and was working down a bank.  I had a good pattern set up and the bass were cooperating really well.  I had caught around 20 down a 500 yard bank.  I came upon a Bass Boat tied to a dock and 5 guys sitting around a firepit.  Normally I would just swing wide and avoid any appearance of a conflict but sencing they were fishermen I decided to go ahead and fish.  Caught 2 right in front of them.  They got up and walked out on their dock (I had already started to move on and they struck up a conversation so I slowed down.  They said they had been there a week and caught 2 bass.  I told them that was great and that I caught 20 coming down the bank.  They didn't believe me.  I told them I could tell them the next spot that I was going to catch one, they laughed.....I proceeded to make a short cast and caught a nice 2lber.  They got quiet, then one said if I was that good, I should be able to call my next one as well......I did and caught another nice one.  They were amazed so I got on the TM and motored back to their dock tied off and proceeded to give them a little class on a Senko (they never heard of it).  Gave each one a bag of 297 Senko's and Gamakatsu EWG hooks.  Pics are from that year trip.  Smallmouth and Largemouth

 

 

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

I can hear Roland Martin right now... "Any color senko will work, as long as it's green pimpkin and black flake"🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe I have towed about 6 boats back to the ramp in last few years when they broke down, and my boat was smaller than most of them. I just hope that someday someone may do the same for me if the need arises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rboat said:

I believe I have towed about 6 boats back to the ramp in last few years when they broke down, and my boat was smaller than most of them. I just hope that someday someone may do the same for me if the need arises.

I too have towed several boats in. I have been towed in once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive had the privelege of teaching my 2 sons to fish, One of them now commercial fishes for a living. And teaching 5 of my grandkids to fish.

I like to teach adults to bass fish who have little experience. Also being able to host friends and assorted bass resource members at my home lake is a blessing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The stripe were smashing topwaters. Older guy didn’t have one. He’d driven from Birmingham to Guntersville Dam for a morning of fishing. He looked to be maybe late Vietnam era and had on a Marine hat. I had to give him a topwater. 

I’ve done a few nice things I guess. Took people and stuff. But life is short and I’m set in my ways. I get tired of hearing “We should do this, we should do that, blah blah blah.”

Only one who gets pass on backseat captaining now is my bride of 21 years.  

I’d like to do one of those CAST events for special kids and their families. It’s an awesome organization. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've given more than my share of lures out. I did some testing work with LTB for a while and have a lot of tackle that I enjoy giving to the neighborhood kids. I have the typical pegboard FULL of tackle that I rarely or ever will use, I just let them take a couple things off each time to try and if they don't like it they can pass it on to someone else.

 

One thing I like to think about is that when fishing with buddies, especially ones that might be going through some life-stuff, the non-fishing conversations are the most important, and if I can give them an ear when they just need to fish and get stuff off their chest, it's worth it to me. 

 

Also had a church mens outing where one particular younger kid took a big interest in fishing, more than the other young men, so I've taken him under my wing, fishing-wise, and stocked him up. His parents are grateful as neither of them have any fishing experience, yet that's all he talks about. Sure glad I can help that young man. 

 

I love passing on knowledge 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like to talk about how awesome I am - that's for other people to decide. I could be a jerk for all I know ;)

 

But I did have one cool experience so far. 

 

I got my truck stuck in a hole, my rear wheel sunk so far that my differential hit the ground. It was 100 degrees, not many people around. It was a dirt road along the Stanislaus River here in Cali.

 

I had a puny jack and a small chunk of 4x4 wood I keep in the truck for whatever reason. I jacked it up nowhere near enough to get it out. Walked up the road half a mile and some guy let me borrow another similar jack. I used the two jacks and slowly inched the truck up, but still, this wasn't enough.

 

I started filling in the hole under the tire when two trucks came up the road. I was hot and miserable. Sweat stinging my eyes. First guy kinda glanced at me and drove on.

 

The second guy was Gary. This guy pulls up "Hey want me to pull you out?"

 

"Dude hell yes" He yanked me outta that hole no problem. What a miserable day it was until then.

 

I guess that isn't a great story but I already typed it ;) Plus these days you can't hear enough stories about good people I think. Too much hate, not enough Gary's!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, schplurg said:

guess that isn't a great story but I already typed it ;) Plus these days you can't hear enough stories about good people I think. Too much hate, not enough Gary's!

Thanks for the positive vibes!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×