KineKilla

Desantis small of back holster

anyone here used the desantis small of back holster? I'm looking for a holster I can use when I need to conceal and not open carry. This holster appears that it would conceal well under a coat and would be more comfortable to wear than most. No stores in my area have one on hand for me to try on so I'm turning to you guys for answers. Is it comfy? Does it conceal well? Hold the gun firmly?

Thanks

Small of the back carry is a back injury waiting to happen. 

• Like 1

I would personally never carry small of back, for numerous reasons. 

1. Like @tbone1993 said, possible injury if you were to fall. 

2. Would be super uncomfortable to be seated. 

3. It would print once you took your jacket off. 

4. It's an awkward position to have to draw from in the event you had to use it. 

5. In the event you were to be attacked and tackled to the ground, you can't grab your firearm if you're pinned to your back or against a wall. 

My suggestion is to go with a quality IWB (inside waistband) holster and a heavy duty gun belt. See what position is most comfortable for you to carry in (appendix, cross draw, 3/4 o'clock). This will allow you to conceal and carry, whether you are wearing a jacket, hoodie, or even just a t shirt. I carry IWB at around the 3:30 position and I can conceal in basically anything and it's comfortable while being seated whether its at work, restaurants, or driving. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fishballer06 said:

I would personally never carry small of back, for numerous reasons. 

1. Like @tbone1993 said, possible injury if you were to fall. 

2. Would be super uncomfortable to be seated. 

3. It would print once you took your jacket off. 

4. It's an awkward position to have to draw from in the event you had to use it. 

5. In the event you were to be attacked and tackled to the ground, you can't grab your firearm if you're pinned to your back. 

My suggestion is to go with a quality IWB (inside waistband) holster and a heavy duty gun belt. See what position is most comfortable for you to carry in (appendix, cross draw, 3/4 o'clock). This will allow you to conceal and carry, whether you are wearing a jacket, hoodie, or even just a t shirt. I carry IWB at around the 3:30 position and I can conceal in basically anything and it's comfortable while being seated whether its at work, restaurants, or driving. 

Agree completely. I also find IWB at about 3:30 to be the best for me. I go through the day without even noticing that it's there. Everyone's body is different but SOB carry seems less than ideal for the reasons @fishballer06 listed.

I also think open carry is a terrible idea and drugs and guns are a recipe for jail time, but those are topics for a different thread.

• Like 1

Add me to the list of nay- sayers listed above.

Most that carry IWB end up with a couple holsters.

I am a lefty and and carry between 8:00-9:00 and I love my sticky holster for warmer months with my 9 shield

I carry small of back quite frequently.  I've found desantis holsters to be top notch...however...once I bought my first concealment Express iwb holster I knew I'd never have to buy another brand! Great company and great service with an awesome product for a very fair price!

I would go with the others as stated here. GO IWB or appendix. Printing is a real issue with Small of back. Not to mention all the other scenarios with that. Easier for someone to grab it an stick it in your back as opposed the front of your pants.

I like appendix for the reason of keeping my hands in front of my body. Don't get roped in a fight with hands behind your back not a good place to start. Whatever you do practice, practice, practice. unloaded of course.