snake95

Zman Neko shroomz

Picked up some of the Zman Neko shroomz at the Classic last weekend, and my (10 year old)  son fished them for the first time on Friday evening.

They are designed to work with elaztec and are easier to insert into a TRD than a CPS spring.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Z-Man_Neko_Shroomz_Wacky_Rig_Nose_Weight_4pk/descpage-ZMNS.html

He insisted on a regular green pumpkin finesse TRD.

Used a VMC size 1 Neko hook and set up a  chicken rig with the hook inserted through the top of the TRD and back through the bait so it was texposed.

Fished it on a ML XF spinning rod with 10 lb test braid and 6 lb Yo Zuri Hybrid.

In his first 5 minutes he had landed 2 bass.  So far, impressed with the Neko shroomz!

• Like 1

I generally love all things Z-man, but these will have to be cheaper for me to use them.

A regular lead nail weight is much cheaper, goes into elaztec easy if you heat it up a little with a cheaper grill lighter (which I keep on the boat for melting plastics back together), and once heated/inserted into an elaztec bait DO NOT come out.

I'd rather fuss with my way and cheap nail weights @ about .20 each, then spend over $1 each on these. Good idea, but costs too much for me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ww2farmer said:

I generally love all things Z-man, but these will have to be cheaper for me to use them.

Fair point.  I agree it seems a little over the top.

But have to hand it to them, they are well designed and effective.

When needed, I’ve simply cut the hook of an old used Shroomz head below the keeper weld and used as a Neko weight. Works well and you get 5 baits instead of 4 for the same price, get double the utility (jig head & Neko wt), plus better color selection :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Team9nine said:

When needed, I’ve simply cut the hook of an old used Shroomz head below the keeper weld and used as a Neko weight. Works well and you get 5 baits instead of 4 for the same price, get double the utility (jig head & Neko wt), plus better color selection :lol:

Awesome idea.  Thank you, will be able to put all those subpar heads to use.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help. In the past I've been using various sizes of stainless steel screws for this job and it is a challenge sometimes getting them into the elaztec baits.  I'm pretty certain that heating them up for a few seconds will make insertion much simpler - thanks.

• Like 1

I love Z man products and what I do is take a small sheetrock nail put it in a vice, set a small split shot on top of it and melt the lead and let it cool and it makes a great weight for a z man product. Once it is inserted it stays.

• Thanks 1