Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So I have what I would consider Is a heavy fast action MH 6’6 gander mountain guide series spinning rod that I bought back 2011.  After I destroyed the Mitchell advocet reel while trying to clean it ( I’ve now learned taking reels apart is not my thing) about three years ago. The rod has basically just been sitting on my rod rack with nothing to do.  What can I use this rod for I’d probably just slap 40-50 dollar reel on it.  I have 7ft m skeet Reese crank rod ,6ft6 m/fast black max combo, 7ft mh berkly shock rod for heavy t-rigs, a 6ft6 mh ( acts more like a medium)Berkeley tactic spinning rod I use for wacky rigs and light stuff.  Input would be appreciated 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 6'6" MH spinning rod. I use mine for senkos and light weight Texas rig soft plastics. I have used it for light weight jigs too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great weightless senko rod especially around grass

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had same question on use of MH spinning rod. It obviously dont get used as much as medium spinning or MH baitcaster... My conclusion is if you need to throw light lure with light line that baitcaster dont do well, but still need power to pull from cover, MH spinning seems to make sense. I have 2500 reel with braid..I use it when I need to throw small weightless lures in some cover..or if I need better hookset than medium spinning..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hahmmo said:

I had same question on use of MH spinning rod. It obviously dont get used as much as medium spinning or MH baitcaster... My conclusion is if you need to throw light lure with light line that baitcaster dont do well, but still need power to pull from cover, MH spinning seems to make sense. I have 2500 reel with braid..I use it when I need to throw small weightless lures in some cover..or if I need better hookset than medium spinning..

 Like I said I have a medium heavy berkley tactix  I use for wacky rigs that I absolutely love and is one of my oldest rods.  That one feels more like a medium rod and is my favorite.  

 

This one the thread is about even though it says mh imho is a heavy very fast rod and it just seems like a odd ball. Maybe I will use it as a stop gap top water rod. I fish from a 14 foot tin boat so the shorter length might be good for that.  I hate just throwing stuff away. It’s been used and has river rash so isn’t worth a whole lot of I sold it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll bet it was the bail spring that got you on the Mitchell.  

 

Seems like the rod in question would be good for what you used to use it for.  Or spinnerbaits in cover.  Or as a spare for your most used technique.

 

You're from MI, so you fish smallies in clear water?  Put a white Senko about 3-4 inches long on it, keep it handy,  and throw it to follow up a hooked bass, or if your partner has one on.  The smallies expel half digested minnows quite often and other bass follow and eat them.  The minnows are pure white, or very close to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have lots of MH rods, some stiff, some not so stiff. How about spinnerbaits with big trailers, jigs with trailers, frogs, 10.5" worms?

 

I love MH rods of all types. And almost all of them are 6.5' or 7'. We fish out of tin boats mostly and use anything from 10# braid and up to over 50# depending on what we're doing. We spend a lot a time in the pads and back in the woods. 10# Invisibraid breaks at over 20# fwiw. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MickD said:

I'll bet it was the bail spring that got you on the Mitchell.  

 

Seems like the rod in question would be good for what you used to use it for.  Or spinnerbaits in cover.  Or as a spare for your most used technique.

 

You're from MI, so you fish smallies in clear water?  Put a white Senko about 3-4 inches long on it, keep it handy,  and throw it to follow up a hooked bass, or if your partner has one on.  The smallies expel half digested minnows quite often and other bass follow and eat them.  The minnows are pure white, or very close to it.

Actually I can’t remember why exactly I bought the Mitchell but, it was a good reel I liked it. I might buy another Mitchell or phlueger trion for it. I only used to have 2 rods this one and the other berkley rod.  I used this one for swurms, straight reeling rapala’s abd other rapala type baits, chucking spoons basically the bigger stuff.  I’m newer to bass fishing grew up chasing salmon and steel head on Lake Michigan and fishing small rivers for smallies.  Last spring I bought my first 2 bait casters. 

 

This is only the 3rd having the boat. Last summer I spent a lot of time on Saginaw river and tittabawasse River. I have caught a lot of small mouth but, I don’t take the boat on bigger lakes unless conditions are ideal and than not very far off shore. Hoping to do more exploring on more lakes this summer. I’ll have a bigger boat either end of the summer or next year.   What you have listed are good ideas. 

4 hours ago, Johnbt said:

I have lots of MH rods, some stiff, some not so stiff. How about spinnerbaits with big trailers, jigs with trailers, frogs, 10.5" worms?

 

I love MH rods of all types. And almost all of them are 6.5' or 7'. We fish out of tin boats mostly and use anything from 10# braid and up to over 50# depending on what we're doing. We spend a lot a time in the pads and back in the woods. 10# Invisibraid breaks at over 20# fwiw. 

That’s a good idea about spinner baits, could be a frog rod and or a swim jig rod.  I don’t have anything bait caster wise for swim jigs at the moment 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...