J.Vincent

Subscription Tackle ?

So I’m sure I’m behind the herd on this one; as I have never subscribed to MTB or LTB. I am now considering joining but when I was reading about these two companies , I discovered a third company called Warrior Tackle. I’m curious to know if anyone has tried Warrior Tackle ? And of the 3 options which would be the best option for Bass tackle ? Or am I better off just hand selecting and choosing my gear from a tackle shop ?

• Like 1

I subscribed to MTB for two months. Almost everything was their own home-brand and half the box was things I'd never use. Dropped my sub like a hot potato.

• Like 2

Been an annual member to LTB for 3 years now. Last month I finally cancelled my subscription. The last year+ has been entire boxes full of brands I've never even heard of. 

Unless you're someone who literally has no tackle and just started fishing, you're better off just buying your own tackle from your favorite retailers. 

• Like 2

Tried, MTB, tried LTB, both were alright at first and then ended like stated above. 

Right now I'm doing the 6th Sense box and love it.  But I was already a 6th Sense addict.

• Like 1

I don't see a point in it. I prefer to buy exactly what I need or want rather than get a box of random stuff. If there's something new and cool out, I'll know about it thanks to the internet.

• Like 5

I do get some stuff out of my Mtb that i truly enjoy and sometimes theres some great lures, however sometimes you will get a lure that doesnt seem like you would ever use it. I really enjoy getting them just because its a mystery and the excitement of getting it once a month is really cool.

• Like 1

The wife got me a 6 month sub to MTB.  I would have never sub'd by my own accord, but a lot of youtubers give out promo codes for % off of different companies boxes.  

Mystery Tackle Box let's you change the species of fish (I started with trout and they sent tackle that I've grown to love like the Zman mini chatterbait!)  But they do send some wonky stuff.  This month I received a set of larvae-style bait very similar to the one linked here https://www.amazon.com/Fanatik-Real-Larva-Dragonfly-Irresistible/dp/B074PBBZK8?th=1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dens228 said:

Tried, MTB, tried LTB, both were alright at first and then ended like stated above. 

Right now I'm doing the 6th Sense box and love it.  But I was already a 6th Sense addict.

I've been doing the 6th Sense box for a couple of months, good quality and quantity with each box so far. I already have a bait monkey's fix worth of crank baits though. I'll probably drop it in another month or two at the most.

FM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glaucus said:

I don't see a point in it. I prefer to buy exactly what I need or want rather than get a box of random stuff. If there's something new and cool out, I'll know about it thanks to the internet.

+1

• Like 2

I’ve never had a subscription. I like to buy baits after I have heard how other people like fishing with them. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, J.Vincent said:

So I’m sure I’m behind the herd on this one; as I have never subscribed to MTB or LTB. I am now considering joining but when I was reading about these two companies , I discovered a third company called Warrior Tackle. I’m curious to know if anyone has tried Warrior Tackle ? And of the 3 options which would be the best option for Bass tackle ? Or am I better off just hand selecting and choosing my gear from a tackle shop ?

Yep, better off buying what you like. Some folks like to get random stuff in the mail instead shopping for it and end up with things they never use. It's difficult enough buying things you like and use all of them.

Tom

• Like 4

I was an MTB subscriber for a little over 3 years, and I had LTB off-and-on during that time too. They were fun for awhile, but if you expect them to substitute for regular tackle purchases of things you want or need, you will always be disappointed.

More than anything, the subscription box is a kind of entertainment. I did get introduced to some useful things that I would never have known of otherwise, and I got some nice things I do use regularly. But every box is a gamble, and in the end you will not really save money if that's your goal. 

• Like 1

Do you already own baits that you have never used? If so the subscription boxes are probably going to get you more. If your the type of person who loves new and different stuff, and uses every lure you own, then you will probably really like all the new and different things. 

This is my take on the subscription boxes.

• Like 3

I use to be subscribed when they were $5 a pop and it was worth it, but now that most boxes cost $10-$40 I've cancelled all my subscriptions. 

Fact of the matter is I never got anything I really used. It totally depends where you are though. Every box was like 2 sample packs of some weird soft plastic. One useless hardbait (sometimes a good one) and some hooks or swivels and little stuff like that. I'm sure you get a little more in the more expensive boxes, but I'm not paying $15 for more sample packs and 1 more crazy plug I'll never throw. 

I started taking the $20 a month I was saving from the subs and just buying whatever I felt like. I'd rather have 2 really nice lures I know I'll use vs some stuff I'm probably just going to give away. 

• Like 1

When I first got back just into bass fishing after a long lay-off I did MTB. It was fun for awhile but was mostly stuff I didn’t use much. I’d rather buy what I want. 

• Like 2

I’ve been bass fishing for a long time. I really don’t need anything. And when I do I just pick up what I need from TW, another site and Sus. 

But my one daughter is always ready to get me something for fishing, hunting or shooting. She’s great for the gifts that keep on giving. I just got another subscription to MTB and I’m ok with it. A present that comes in the mail every month. I’ve caught bass with items out of there. What I just realized in the fall was if you catch bass or whatever on sent items if you send a pic in you enter to win $40-50 bucks. I’m gonna start that. No size limit I don’t think. They are just looking for feed I think. 

But it I can see guys not interested. My situation is different because it a gift from my kid. They are trying to make me happy and I’m trying to make them happy using it. Some of the Japan crankbaits fish well. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MN Fisher said:

I subscribed to MTB for two months. Almost everything was their own home-brand and half the box was things I'd never use. Dropped my sub like a hot potato.

Curious which MTB package you purchased.  I was at the NW SportShow over the weekend and someone said there are 3 levels of packages: Beginner, Pro and Elite.  I’m assuming the lower level packages are more home-brand or overstocks.  I wonder if Pro or Elite would be more worthwhile??

• Like 2

Last year for a family trip we were planning I got one box that my brother-in-law and I could use to try to do a "slam".  That made for an entertaining day and made the box fun as a one-time thing.  I wouldn't subscribe to MTB/LTB based on my experiences getting individual boxes and reading reviews from others.

The 6th Sense box sounds awesome (also a 6th sense junky).  But I seem to recall the box I would be interested in being very expensive...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FryDog62 said:

Curious which MTB package you purchased.  I was at the NW SportShow over the weekend and someone said there are 3 levels of packages: Beginner, Pro and Elite.  I’m assuming the lower level packages are more home-brand or overstocks.  I wonder if Pro or Elite would be more worthwhile??

I was getting the Beginner - the only one in my price range. Maybe the others are better, but on my budget I can't afford them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wife got me a 6 month sub to LTB, it's fun getting a box in every month to see what's in it, but personally I wouldn't spend the money on the sub myself. All the bait has been some off brand I've never heard of, and what I feel like is filler junk some times. 

• Like 1

I thought about trying the 6th Sense box. But I would probably get a bunch of big crankbaits that I'll probably never use. 

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences with subscription tackle....sounds like the subscription boxes would be better for a young angler who wants a variety of lures to sample but not for a picky fella who knows what works and sticks to it ! Thanks 

• Thanks 1

I have been doing the 6th Sense box for 6 months now.  Only a few lures I have gotten, I will likely never use. All of the others, certainly!  I am pretty happy with it.  About 50% off retail.