Anybody know any special deals were a broke college kid could get an NRX for 20-25% off?

The flea market here has good deals on them pretty often.

Broke and NRX do not belong in the same sentence. 

• Like 12

Save the money and get what's in your budget. Priorities. 

EDIT - To expand on this, I know what it's like, wanting nice gear and deciding between eating that day or getting the rod you want. BUT, cheaper rods do the same thing. I started out on Berkley Lightning shock rods. $40 rods at walmart. I caught more fish on those than I can count. When I finished school and got a real job it afforded me better gear. Is the nicer gear cool to have? Sure is, but do I catch more fish because of it? Hell no. It's just a tool, a fancier tool than the $40 tool. I blew a lot of money on stuff I didn't need or spent above my means on stuff I shouldn't have and it only set me back in end. I'm still nowhere near where I want to be in life, but it gets more comfortable after school, trust me.

$500 is a lot of money to blow on JUST a rod, even for people with their life together. My most expensive COMBO is $400 and everything else is in $200-250 range. It's good enough gear to take the 5-6 days a week of abuse I put them through, but I'm not emptying the bank account on them. 

• Like 4

Heck of a first post, so welcome.....

If you are part of a club there are programs, if your not, being in college just puts you in the same situation as everyone else.

Classifieds is the place to start

How times have changed. When I was in college broke meant ramen noodles and a case of milwaukees best. Now it means a $500 rod.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not to rain on your parade, but are you sure that you need an NRX? The reason I ask is that a famous man once said, "... #1 key to consistently catching bass is between your ears not between the folds of your wallet. ..."  That man was pretty wise. And he's still on this forum.     jj

• Like 1

I actually agree with all of these. ^ Have you looked into a less expensive G. Loomis option?

4 hours ago, Crappiebasser said:

How times have changed. When I was in college broke meant ramen noodles and a case of milwaukees best. Now it means a $500 rod.

Hey now, nothing wrong with killing a 30 rack of Milwaukee's Beast. Haha

• Like 1

A quick story my brother bought a weatherby rifle to deer hunt with while I used my cheap Mossberg 500 pump, my Mossberg has a lot more deer in the freezer then his rifle. 

At Home Depot the cheapest hammer cost $4.96. The most expensive one cost $243.95.  You can drive nails with the cheap one.  With the expensive one you can drive nails while admiring your nice hammer.  The nails don’t care either way.

An NRX at 25% off would be approx $375.  If you can’t find a used one at that price, let this forum know if you are open to other new suggestions at that price point.  You’d still get a heckuva sensitive rod (plus warranty).  

Is there any place around that carries them? If there is, look at a part time job there while your in high school. I work at the local bait shop and have gotten some great stuff at discounted prices while I have been in school. Too bad that will end shortly!

I wouldn’t get an NRX if you’re broke, it will ruin you for life lol! I’d start by getting a slightly used GLX, you can find them for $250 on these type forums. But if you insist newish NRX’s go for $350-$400 on forums so there are deals to be found.

On 3/30/2019 at 9:23 AM, Tennessee Boy said:

At Home Depot the cheapest hammer cost $4.96. The most expensive one cost $243.95.  You can drive nails with the cheap one.  With the expensive one you can drive nails while admiring your nice hammer.  The nails don’t care either way.

All I’m going to say is at somewhere between $15-20 for the hammer you maxed out on the technologies that can be added to a hammer. Rods are the same at somewhere between $200-250 you maxed out what can be added to a rod. If you believe things like titanium make it better, that’s great. But it’s just a marketing spec. You could make a rod with 24 karat gold wraps, molybednum guides and sapphire crystal guide inserts. It’s not going to be better. It’s just going to be more expensive.

• Like 2