ChrisD46

What Qualities make The Z-Man Jackhammer So Good ?

While the Z-Man Jackhammer is expensive ($16 - $18) -  it is also very popular ... What are the qualities that make the Jackhammer so popular / so much better than other vibrating jig / chatterbaits ?

Quality hook and components, professional, Japanese and American social media, and weekend warrior hype. 

• Like 1

The blade starts up faster the any of the other chatterbait I have tried.  Whether that is important enough to justify the cost is subjective.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, fishwizzard said:

The blade starts up faster the any of the other chatterbait I have tried.  Whether that is important enough to justify the cost is subjective.  

This is the major thing I keep hearing. I've never used one but I can see the value in having the bets blade start-up, especially fishing slow, banging off cover, or lifting it off the bottom. 

The center of balance on the head is key too. It stays down better than most. Nothing is more infuriating to me than a bladed jig that rises.....Strike King Rage blade I'm talking to you.

• Like 3

A-Jay

Like everbody else has already said. It doesn’t rise on you, great hook, great bait keeper, and it has a hand tied skirt. Still shouldn’t be $16 a piece though

4 hours ago, CroakHunter said:

Quality hook and components, professional, Japanese and American social media, and weekend warrior hype. 

Agreed, still don't think it is worth what they charge but they do use good components. 

Allen 

It makes your whole body vibrate...haha.

My friend just got his in, used it for the first time and caught 4.  He is now a believer.  

The pros tell you they are.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bluebasser86 said:

The pros tell you they are.

Bass are doing a decent job as well.

At least for me.

A-Jay

• Like 7

Every one I have hunts amazingly right out of the pack.

As I watch it run through the water today, I kept saying I'd eat that.  The bass however did not.

As mentioned above,  it starts on the first crank.  If you get one compare it to others by starting your retrieve with a rod pump, you will notice a difference.

The value depends on the person.

• Like 2

I aint buying it..(the instant start "advantage") and think there is something else, maybe the sound the blade makes crashing the head, or something. Bladed jigs (for me anyways) are a bait I throw past my target. If it takes 1 second to start thumpin'...I don't care. $10 would be more than I will pay for any bladed jig.

The fast start thing is silly unless the bass are eating it the instant it hits the water. I think the fact it stays down all depends on how and where you use it. I bend the blades on my baits to make them rise so I can fish them extremely slowly and in very shallow water without burning them. Very rarely am I fishing one deeper than 5' so I don't know if they'd even be of use for me if I'd have to fish it really fast to keep it off the bottom. 

The bait has a quality hook, tied skirt, and wire bait keeper. I've never seen one in person in the water, only ever seen one out of the package. Just don't think I could get myself to spend that much on a bladed jig. Maybe I'll find one sometime to play with to see what the hype is about.

• Like 2

The blade start up matters if you yo-yo the lure or fish it on the bottom where it wil be constantly hitting cover and stopping.  On a stright retrieve in open water it matters less.  

Last BF I bought a pair if Jackhammers, a pair if Project-Zs, and a pair of Elites.  I took them out with some Picassos and some football head/splitring chatters I already had. The Elites are cery very close to the Jackhammers and even had a wire-tied skirt, but I believe they moved to a plastic hub skirt on them.  The JH would consistanly start up faster then the Elite but not by much.  Both the JH and the Elite were way faster and more reliable then the rest. 

My goal was to find a single chatter to use for everything but I think I am going to settle for two. The Football/Splitring ones have the worst start up and will “stall” if muck or grass fouls the connection, but they hunt very nicley and have by far the most powerful vibrations.  I will use them for rocky bottoms where I want the improved deection and muddy water where I want max commotion. The second will be either the Jackhammer or the Elite, but further testing is needed to pick one over the other. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

The fast start thing is silly unless the bass are eating it the instant it hits the water.

The fast starting blade is critical when you are fishing in/thru/around heavy grass, where you're constantly ripping or popping it free from grass.  You'll have 10+ starts and stops on each cast many times, so starting up quick is really important.  Fish often eat it right as you pop it free, so having it start back up right away gets more bites (IMO)....Even if it only takes a foot to get another chatter thumping again, that foot might take it out of the strike zone.  

Depends on how/where you fish as to how important that fast start is.  Around here, 90% of my chatterbait fishing is in 4' or less with heavy grass (tidal rivers) so it's critical for my fishing.

I've found that the JackHammer does seem to run deeper than most other models for the same weight...For me personally that means I don't use it as much since I'm usually fishing shallow, but it is a nice quality to have.  The quality of construction is top notch.  I don't think it's terribly overpriced for what you're getting, but there are other options that are also very good for cheaper.  

• Like 1

No idea why you're paying 16+$ for these. You can find them for $10.50-12$ from a ton of different places every day. 

1 hour ago, iabass8 said:

No idea why you're paying 16+$ for these. You can find them for $10.50-12$ from a ton of different places every day. 

Where at?

29 minutes ago, NorthernBasser said:

Where at?

All over. Easy to find on Google. If you want to buy a dozen+ at a time, you can get them on a few JDM sites for 9.90 and free shipping if you get enough. Plus, the JDM jackhammer has a ton more colors. 

• Like 1

Whatever works for you guys. I see no advantage for a bladed jig over a swim jig, swimbait, rattle or crank,or spinnerbait for shallow, weedy areas. Maybe for muddy water? Don't ring the bait monkey's bell...

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, detroit1 said:

Whatever works for you guys. I see no advantage for a bladed jig over a swim jig, swimbait, rattle or crank,or spinnerbait for shallow, weedy areas. Maybe for muddy water? Don't ring the bait monkey's bell...

Image result for monkey  gif

• Haha 2

They are really good at multiplying in my tackle box. I think I have 21 now.. it's best not to count them though. 

2 hours ago, iabass8 said:

All over. Easy to find on Google. If you want to buy a dozen+ at a time, you can get them on a few JDM sites for 9.90 and free shipping if you get enough. Plus, the JDM jackhammer has a ton more colors. 

Why do the JDM Models get the awesome gold blades?! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, punch said:

They are really good at multiplying in my tackle box. I think I have 21 now.. it's best not to count them though. 

Why do the JDM Models get the awesome gold blades?! 

I’m right behind you as I have 17 of them. 

I looked around with not much luck. Do you guys have a specific site you get these from for so cheap? I found a few but selection was pretty much one size with one or two colors.

Thanks. 

• Like 1