ChrisD46

What Qualities make The Z-Man Jackhammer So Good ?

I looked and found two places.  One sold them for $11.39, but couldn’t find much for shipping info.  I may look again sometime and order a dozen and split em with my tourney partner.  

When I was at Bass Pro recently I saw them for $20 and audibly laughed. What a joke. 

I just got bit by the monkey and bought a couple last week. Went with green pumpkin and black&blue. Also bought the Zako trailers from Yamamoto in the same colors. I had refrained from ordering any until they were right in my face and in my hands at our local outdoor show. I hope it was worth it. 

Personally, I'd have a hard time spending $20 on a chatterbait, especially since the original Z-Man chatterbait or the Elite just kill it in the places I fish.

The other evening I fished a nasty looking lagoon with chocolate milk water and tons of thick algae along the shoreline. The water was so stained that it obscure lures running at the surface. My favorite chatterbait combo is a green pumpkin chatterbait with a Havoc Pit Boss Big Texan trailer. In just over an hour I landed 2 5 pounders, a 4 pounder, and two just under 3 pounds plus a smaller one that flipped off. The only reason I stopped fishing that evening was because an aggressive gator took notice and chased me up the bank.

@$#&! also chased me out the next day after landing another one within the first few casts. I fished elsewhere for a few hours and when I came back the gator was still camped out there.

Anyway, as good as the Jackhammer may be I doubt it catches me more fish than the original or the Elite.

Off topic but what setup do you throw these on? I picked up a couple.

9 minutes ago, TBAG said:

Off topic but what setup do you throw these on? I picked up a couple.

Basically anything you toss a spinnerbait on will work.

However there's an entire glass vs graphite debate for chatterbaits with plenty of corresponding threads.

7 minutes ago, punch said:

Basically anything you toss a spinnerbait on will work.

However there's an entire glass vs graphite debate for chatterbaits with plenty of corresponding threads.

Cool, so my Dobyns 734c would work ok?

I'm a weekend warrior and still comparing a range of different bladed jigs.  

No question it is a high quality bait with great components.  It performs as advertised.  I can see how the quality justifies the cost.

I tried out the Project Z last fall and found it starts up pretty darn fast too, and seems to be really well made.  It certainly catches bass!  It did great for me fished slow with a craw trailer. 

By no means am I a connoisseur of bladed jigs.

However, at this point, I'm not convinced that I really need to switch out the Project Z's for jackhammers based on performance.  

I just recently started fishing chatter baits. I'm pretty old school when it comes to my tackle selection. Lipless cranks, square bills, deep diving cranks, spinner baits, top water stick baits, buzz baits, and Texas rigged worms. I'm not really a fan of jig fishing, simply because, it seems like they hang up more than any other lure. If I take a half dozen fishing I'm luck to bring 1 home, but they definitely have their place.  With all that semi off topic stuff said. I was watching a U tube channel (that I won't advertise for) the topic was the chatter bait. These guys are very informative and thorough. The Jack Hammer was his hands down favorite but went on to say all the z man chatter baits where fantastic. Well after watching I decided to pick up some and added a new weapon to my arsenal. I started fishing almost exclusively with chatter baits post spawn 2017 thru that summer. Had to try and prefect my game with them. What a versatile lure the chatter bait is, burn it over the flats like a lipless, reel it through cover like a spinnerbait or a square bill, jig it, ect.  After I thought I had mastered the bait is when I decided to bite the bullet and buy a few Jack hammers. All I'd fished at that point was Z man originals and elite series. I can say that the hammers do start up faster but only marginally. I can't say they catch more fish. I can also say it hurts my feelings more when I break one off. They are built with better components, thats a fact. Are they worth almost twice the price, thats a question you have to ask yourself. This sport is pretty unique, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it. Anyone can out fish anyone on any given day. Of course the Pros know more tricks and secrets. But, on the right day a kid with a Spiderman pole and a tiny torpedo can bust KVD's butt. The point I'm trying so long windily make, is you can spend a little or a lot. In the end it boils down to what makes you happy and confident. If that expensive lure inspires confidence then go for it. 

• Like 2

If anyone is paying more than $15 for Jackhammers then they are not doing a very good job of shopping around.  They are easily the best chatterbait I have used.  I really like the chatterbair custom from TW but the Jackhammer is better.  Not only does it start vibrating right away, it also will continue vibrating at a very slow speed which is important this time of year with the cooler water temps.

I put a couple Jackhammers on order, but haven't received then yet.

I was talking with someone not long ago who had dozens of them and had been talking with Davey Hite about some pretty technical details.  One thing I was told (and also heard elsewhere) was that there's a risk to losing them unless..... I'm not sure what...either making sure a line tie doesn't start to open up...or a split ring 'issue'.....? ??? Sorry I don't remember specifics...but if anyone has suggestions about how to 'maintain' these, or what to pay attention to....I'd appreciate it...

Though it may not matter, because I'll likely lose them to snakeheads long before I get a hardware 'failure'

The jackhammer is a quality bait and very effective but for me it's not worth the price. The original chatterbait is effective for me and the price is right. I don't like the idea of feeding 15$ baits to pike and musky. The 4$ original gets the job done and I can afford to have all the colors and weights I need and still lose some to pike.

As far as running depth I use line test to control depth usually 12lb sunline for deeper presentations and 16lb for shallow fishing. Shallow cover I usually fish it on a 7' mh jig rod and deeper I use a 7'6" mh cranking rod.

16 hours ago, sully420 said:

The jackhammer is a quality bait and very effective but for me it's not worth the price. The original chatterbait is effective for me and the price is right. I don't like the idea of feeding 15$ baits to pike and musky. The 4$ original gets the job done and I can afford to have all the colors and weights I need and still lose some to pike.

As far as running depth I use line test to control depth usually 12lb sunline for deeper presentations and 16lb for shallow fishing. Shallow cover I usually fish it on a 7' mh jig rod and deeper I use a 7'6" mh cranking rod.

*Not to get off topic but found it interesting that a move by pros includes fishing chatterbaits on parabolic cranking rods to enable the bass to get the chatterbait into their mouths better allowing that chatterbait lip to lay flat before setting the hook thus getting a better hook set . Too fast of a rod without that little time delay apparently gives a poorer hook set on a chatterbait versus a more parabolic rod action like those used for crank baits . If that's the case - then chatterbaits are more akin to crank baits than they are to spinner baits or swim jigs ?

1 hour ago, ChrisD46 said:

Not to get off topic but found it interesting that a move by pros includes fishing chatterbaits on parabolic cranking rods to enable the bass to get the chatterbait into their mouths better allowing that chatterbait lip to lay flat before setting the hook thus getting a better hook set . Too fast of a rod without that little time delay apparently gives a poorer hook set on a chatterbait versus a more parabolic rod action like those used for crank baits . If that's the case - then chatterbaits are more akin to crank baits than they are to spinner baits or swim jigs ?

Good eye, ChrisD.  There is a lot to be learned from watching guys catch fish on tv for a living.  All of your best pro chatterbait guys—Evers, Ish, Jordan Lee, BHite—when they set the hook, you can see they all fish a parabolic, crankbait type rod with the CB.

My #2 fishing partner gives a clinic on how to lose fish with a CB every time he throws one, and it starts with the wrong rod.  There are MANY applications for a MH fast rod but a chatterbait is not one of them.  

2 hours ago, ChrisD46 said:

*Not to get off topic but found it interesting that a move by pros includes fishing chatterbaits on parabolic cranking rods to enable the bass to get the chatterbait into their mouths better allowing that chatterbait lip to lay flat before setting the hook thus getting a better hook set . Too fast of a rod without that little time delay apparently gives a poorer hook set on a chatterbait versus a more parabolic rod action like those used for crank baits . If that's the case - then chatterbaits are more akin to crank baits than they are to spinner baits or swim jigs ?

That's an interesting bit of info.  I may have to try that the next time out.

Too many variables to make absolutist statements about gear for any lures.  The lures, conditions and style that I fish chatterbaits lends itself extremely well to MHF rods with braid.  The only hits that I miss are those that don't commit until inside three feet from the boat.  I cannot manage the grass and wood well with a rod any slower.

I definitely notice a difference between rods when fishing CB's. I feel like a cranking rod is the way to go. A parabolic rod allows the bait a more realistic action when ripping the bait free of grass. As far as missing bites I don't that plays into what rod you use I think it's just easier to keep bass pegged on a parabolic rod than a fast rod. 

I think I'm going to try a CB with a brush guard when I fish it on my mh fast rod and see if the guard helps keep fish pegged. Mono line could also work well when fishing a CB on a fast rod.

I can't go near a Jack Hammer without ripping the stock skirt off, tying a ventilated skirt with flashabou on and adding a turbo blade.

762.jpg

I personally prefer the Project Z with weedguard myself.  I do go fairly heavy (1/2 & 3/4 oz) but don’t think the PZ floats up quite as much as the Jackhammer..