Hello everyone, 

This is my first time posting on this forum. I have owned a Shimano Stradic FK and Shimano Nasci FB, both of which I have had issues with. Both reels developed a scratchy sound that I cannot explain when retrieving a lure, but does not exhibit it when the line is clipped to the spool and you turn the handle. I have contacted Shimano customer service sent the Stradic in and came back with a note saying there were no issues with it. I took it upon myself to and disassemble it, which I have done to many other reels in the past. Cleaned it re-lubed it with Shimano grease and oil- still did not fix the issue. Next I proceeded to order a new line roller from Shimano in hopes that it was the problem. Swapped out the parts and still nothing... And that lands me here. Has anyone else had this issue? I attached a link to a video clip from Lawson Lindsey's YouTube channel (I do not clam any rights or own the footage) however it is the best footage I can find that demonstrates the sound very clearly (Around the 1:30 mark) 

Tight Lines! 

i had an older stradic FH that did this and it was a bad pinion gear bearing that was replaced under warranty. 

it did not do it when freely cranking, only under load (such as when retrieving a lure). it was smooth but noisey

it might be the same thing. 

can anyone confirm?

Are you using braided line?    Braided line sounds a lot different than mono/flouro when reeled under stress/tension 

@Deeare No I was using mono originally, however in the video he is using braid. I don’t think the type of line had any correlation to the issue.

@Hulkster Interesting that you mention the pinion bearing as that’s something that it could have been and something that I’ve never heard of- did you do the repairs yourself? 

Welcome aboard!

Some of our reel experts will probably chime in soon.

1 hour ago, Andreou Goetsch said:

@Hulkster Interesting that you mention the pinion bearing as that’s something that it could have been and something that I’ve never heard of- did you do the repairs yourself? 

Hi, no i live near a shimano warranty center and I dropped the reel off there and they diagnosed this and ordered the bearing and replaced it no charge as it was a warranty issue (reel was under 1 year old).

not sure if this is the same issue you are experiencing with your reels, although experts may be able to tell. I can barely toast bread never mind service a reel