Bass_Akwards

"Best" Baitcaster for $125.00 or less?

Hey all.  Ever used a baitcasting reel that you bought for $125.00 or less and absolutely loved it?  I'm in the market and would love peoples advice on their favorite baitcasting reel(s) and why they love them so much.  I need a good all around reel.  I fish a ton of Jigs and plastics but I'll also throw everything else as well.  I'll use the new reel with a 7' medium-heavy rod for LMB and wiper.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Daiwa Fuego can be found here sometimes for $50 and all over eBay in the same range. Daiwa Tatulas can also be found in that range if you do some homework and shop around. I’ve seen a lot of people rave about the Shimano SLX but personally I’m not a fan (I’ve been told I’m weird because of this). I’ve got 3 of the Kastking Royale Legend Elite reels and I love them. They’re $70-$80 and I’ve had zero issues whatsoever. Same thing can be said for the Fuegos I’ve owned in the past though. 

My .02, go with the Fuego or Tatula. You won’t be disappointed. 

13 minutes ago, bigjean663 said:

Daiwa Fuego can be found here sometimes for $50 and all over eBay in the same range. Daiwa Tatulas can also be found in that range if you do some homework and shop around. I’ve seen a lot of people rave about the Shimano SLX but personally I’m not a fan (I’ve been told I’m weird because of this). I’ve got 3 of the Kastking Royale Legend Elite reels and I love them. They’re $70-$80 and I’ve had zero issues whatsoever. Same thing can be said for the Fuegos I’ve owned in the past though. 

My .02, go with the Fuego or Tatula. You won’t be disappointed. 

I agree that for the price new, nothing is going to beat either of those. If you've used a BC before and are interested in a certain technique, you could find some used offerings around that price, but not sure what your skill level is, BA.

Pfluger President

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thinkingredneck said:

Pfluger President

Owned an XT and man was it a nice reel. Right up until it was stolen lol

As said above Daiwa Fuego CT. eBay $65 range. Used mine heavily last year frogging, ripping lipless out of grass, and flipping. No issues on any held up solid.

• Like 1

Another vote for the Tatula CTs.  I also would like to try out some Fuegos myself.

• Like 1

Tatula CT or Shimano SLX are both great choices.

• Like 2

Lew's Speed Spool LFS 😉

• Like 4

KastKing Royale Legend Elite Rage Red ... 8:1:1 ... 69.98 ...

good fishing ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fuego, Tatula or SLX.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Catt said:

Lew's Speed Spool LFS 😉

Another vote for the Lew's.

• Like 2

In the same boat so to speak as you. I think I have decided on the Tatula CT type-R which is exactly at your price point. I would be interested in the SLX but I have a Shimano Citica already. Only difference is it's going on a M/F rod so I wanted something that could handle lighter weight baits. The Tatula 100 was a very, very close second. But I think I've decided on the Type-R with lighter spool, an slightly higher gear ratio. 100 7.1 with 29.8" LPT an Type-R at 7.3 with 30.5" per turn.

Then again I may spring for the 100.

New: Fuego, Tatula, or SLX

Used: Curado

Honestly, with how well the Curado's hold up, a nice used Curado is going to give you the most bang for your buck in that price range. But if you're more comfortable with something new from a store, the Fuego, Tatula, and SLX all come highly recommended from guys who have used them. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Shifty06 said:

In the same boat so to speak as you. I think I have decided on the Tatula CT type-R which is exactly at your price point. I would be interested in the SLX but I have a Shimano Citica already. Only difference is it's going on a M/F rod so I wanted something that could handle lighter weight baits. The Tatula 100 was a very, very close second. But I think I've decided on the Type-R with lighter spool, an slightly higher gear ratio. 100 7.1 with 29.8" LPT an Type-R at 7.3 with 30.5" per turn.

Then again I may spring for the 100.

That's one of my favorite reels. I put it on a medium rod and it throws a weightless fluke just fine.

• Like 1

Lews Tournament MB Ebay for 100 bucks or Diawa Tatula CT for about the same.  Personally I can do without the T Wing on the Diawa, so MB.  I own 3 of em'.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bigjean663 said:

Owned an XT and man was it a nice reel. Right up until it was stolen lol

I have a President XT, great reel for the money.  Amazon has them on sale often for the same price as the standard President baitcaster.  I paid $55 for mine IIRC.

Pflueger Patriarch XT's when Pflueger's website had them on clearence a few months ago...........$99 with an additional 10% off, and free shipping!:D

But seriously......I'd say a Lews Tournament MB 

• Like 2

Ambassadeur 5500-C.

Nothing any other reel can do that I can't do with these reels. Have had 1/2 doz. over the past 40 years. They work fine and you can pass them down to your kids without fear that they won't work just as well.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Crestliner2008 said:

Ambassadeur 5500-C.

Nothing any other reel can do that I can't do with these reels. Have had 1/2 doz. over the past 40 years. They work fine and you can pass them down to your kids without fear that they won't work just as well.

Great reel.  I think for bass fishing I'd step it down to a 4600 just because it's a little easier to palm.  I do love my 5500s for bigger more fighty fish though!

Tatula 100 found for 110 on SportsmenOutfitters.

5 hours ago, JLBBass said:

Pflueger Patriarch XT's when Pflueger's website had them on clearence a few months ago...........$99 with an additional 10% off, and free shipping!:D

Yup.  Already had 3 older Patriarch XTs so I went with a Supreme XT and a Patriarch.  Great deals.

• Like 1