Jump to content
Bass_Akwards

"Best" Baitcaster for $125.00 or less?

Recommended Posts

Hey all.  Ever used a baitcasting reel that you bought for $125.00 or less and absolutely loved it?  I'm in the market and would love peoples advice on their favorite baitcasting reel(s) and why they love them so much.  I need a good all around reel.  I fish a ton of Jigs and plastics but I'll also throw everything else as well.  I'll use the new reel with a 7' medium-heavy rod for LMB and wiper.  Thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daiwa Fuego can be found here sometimes for $50 and all over eBay in the same range. Daiwa Tatulas can also be found in that range if you do some homework and shop around. I’ve seen a lot of people rave about the Shimano SLX but personally I’m not a fan (I’ve been told I’m weird because of this). I’ve got 3 of the Kastking Royale Legend Elite reels and I love them. They’re $70-$80 and I’ve had zero issues whatsoever. Same thing can be said for the Fuegos I’ve owned in the past though. 

 

My .02, go with the Fuego or Tatula. You won’t be disappointed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bigjean663 said:

Daiwa Fuego can be found here sometimes for $50 and all over eBay in the same range. Daiwa Tatulas can also be found in that range if you do some homework and shop around. I’ve seen a lot of people rave about the Shimano SLX but personally I’m not a fan (I’ve been told I’m weird because of this). I’ve got 3 of the Kastking Royale Legend Elite reels and I love them. They’re $70-$80 and I’ve had zero issues whatsoever. Same thing can be said for the Fuegos I’ve owned in the past though. 

 

My .02, go with the Fuego or Tatula. You won’t be disappointed. 

I agree that for the price new, nothing is going to beat either of those. If you've used a BC before and are interested in a certain technique, you could find some used offerings around that price, but not sure what your skill level is, BA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pfluger President

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, thinkingredneck said:

Pfluger President

Owned an XT and man was it a nice reel. Right up until it was stolen lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As said above Daiwa Fuego CT. eBay $65 range. Used mine heavily last year frogging, ripping lipless out of grass, and flipping. No issues on any held up solid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote for the Tatula CTs.  I also would like to try out some Fuegos myself.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tatula CT or Shimano SLX are both great choices.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lew's Speed Spool LFS 😉

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KastKing Royale Legend Elite Rage Red ... 8:1:1 ... 69.98 ...

 

good fishing ...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuego, Tatula or SLX.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Catt said:

Lew's Speed Spool LFS 😉

Another vote for the Lew's.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the same boat so to speak as you. I think I have decided on the Tatula CT type-R which is exactly at your price point. I would be interested in the SLX but I have a Shimano Citica already. Only difference is it's going on a M/F rod so I wanted something that could handle lighter weight baits. The Tatula 100 was a very, very close second. But I think I've decided on the Type-R with lighter spool, an slightly higher gear ratio. 100 7.1 with 29.8" LPT an Type-R at 7.3 with 30.5" per turn.

 

Then again I may spring for the 100.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New: Fuego, Tatula, or SLX

Used: Curado

 

Honestly, with how well the Curado's hold up, a nice used Curado is going to give you the most bang for your buck in that price range. But if you're more comfortable with something new from a store, the Fuego, Tatula, and SLX all come highly recommended from guys who have used them. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Shifty06 said:

In the same boat so to speak as you. I think I have decided on the Tatula CT type-R which is exactly at your price point. I would be interested in the SLX but I have a Shimano Citica already. Only difference is it's going on a M/F rod so I wanted something that could handle lighter weight baits. The Tatula 100 was a very, very close second. But I think I've decided on the Type-R with lighter spool, an slightly higher gear ratio. 100 7.1 with 29.8" LPT an Type-R at 7.3 with 30.5" per turn.

 

Then again I may spring for the 100.

That's one of my favorite reels. I put it on a medium rod and it throws a weightless fluke just fine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lews Tournament MB Ebay for 100 bucks or Diawa Tatula CT for about the same.  Personally I can do without the T Wing on the Diawa, so MB.  I own 3 of em'.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bigjean663 said:

Owned an XT and man was it a nice reel. Right up until it was stolen lol

I have a President XT, great reel for the money.  Amazon has them on sale often for the same price as the standard President baitcaster.  I paid $55 for mine IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pflueger Patriarch XT's when Pflueger's website had them on clearence a few months ago...........$99 with an additional 10% off, and free shipping!:D

But seriously......I'd say a Lews Tournament MB 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ambassadeur 5500-C.

 

Nothing any other reel can do that I can't do with these reels. Have had 1/2 doz. over the past 40 years. They work fine and you can pass them down to your kids without fear that they won't work just as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Crestliner2008 said:

Ambassadeur 5500-C.

 

Nothing any other reel can do that I can't do with these reels. Have had 1/2 doz. over the past 40 years. They work fine and you can pass them down to your kids without fear that they won't work just as well.

Great reel.  I think for bass fishing I'd step it down to a 4600 just because it's a little easier to palm.  I do love my 5500s for bigger more fighty fish though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tatula 100 found for 110 on SportsmenOutfitters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JLBBass said:

Pflueger Patriarch XT's when Pflueger's website had them on clearence a few months ago...........$99 with an additional 10% off, and free shipping!:D

 

Yup.  Already had 3 older Patriarch XTs so I went with a Supreme XT and a Patriarch.  Great deals.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...