J.Vincent

Lunkerhunt Hollow Body Frogs

I typically use Booyah Pad Crashers but I noticed Dicks Sports and Field & Stream , have the Lunkerhunt Hollow Body frogs on sale at 3 for $10. They look good and are priced nicely with this promo, but do they work well ?  Opinions ?

If you mean the ones with legs, they do draw strikes, but the legs have a tendency to come off after only a few bites. They also start taking on water quickly. I'm a believer in Booyah Pad Crashers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m sort of new to frog fishing. Well have been trying to go at it right for the last couple of season. I’ve only thrown the Booyah Pad Crushers also. The Lunker brand do look good. At that price there no harm or real big cost associated with trying them. 

Is is there an advantage to fishing ones with legs vs. skirted material legs? Realism?

• Like 1

Spend your money on something else. Ive fished cheap frogs all the way up to frogs that cost so much you should get hit for paying it. The lunkerhunt frogs with the lifelike legs are junk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the first time I saw them, I really wanted one, but I wasn’t going to pay $8 for a frog when there were so many other cheaper options that work. I waited years and finally got one for like $2-$3 when Academy was having all those clearance sales.

I fished it for the first time last week. It filled with water after a few casts, but no big deal, just squeeze to force the water out. Then I caught my first fish - a 2# spot. She bit off one of the legs, so after about 15 minutes in the water, it was trash.

You be the judge - $3 for one fish? It looks totally real in the water when you work it, so if you put it over a hungry fish, it’s going to get bit. It’s just probably not going to survive the bite. Some people replace the legs with skirt after they get bit off.

I wish there was an alternative with wire-through legs, because it’s a great idea, in theory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are a couple guys on here that really like them and will make excuses for the quality and try to argue you down. Your money can be better spent.

• Thanks 1

I tried one of the non popper versions a few years ago and couldn't get it to stay upright. It kept wanting to roll. Now, whether this was my line, knot or lack of experience-who knows. 

What I will endorse though, is the smaller pocket frog. That thing is so much fun, especially in farm ponds. I've caught at least 2 dozen bass up to 3lbs and the frog has held up fine. I always put a ring of super glue on parts like those legs before I ever throw it.

And come to think of it, I didn't have any BFS ish setups last year. Time to throw it on the SV105!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tried a Lunkerhunt frog. It took on water, requiring me to squeeze the water out. This happened too often. I use the 1/4 oz Pad Crashers and smaller Spro frogs now. 

• Thanks 1

I’m looking at the Lunkerhunt Kraken Walking Frog....not the Frog they make with chicken legs....has anyone fished the Kraken yet ? 

D88A1647-87A4-46BD-9842-48F0A8893A72.jpeg

9 hours ago, MountainMan83 said:

I tried one of the non popper versions a few years ago and couldn't get it to stay upright. It kept wanting to roll. Now, whether this was my line, knot or lack of experience-who knows. 

Was it the Lunkerhunt Kraken Walking Frog 

9 hours ago, J.Vincent said:

I’m looking at the Lunkerhunt Kraken Walking Frog....not the Frog they make with chicken legs....has anyone fished the Kraken yet ? 

D88A1647-87A4-46BD-9842-48F0A8893A72.jpeg

Was it the Lunkerhunt Kraken Walking Frog 

Sorry, it was the regular walking model with legs.

13 hours ago, MountainMan83 said:

Sorry, it was the regular walking model with legs.

No worries....I might just drive over and see if Dicks Sports has any on their shelf. Thanks !

I got lots of hits on hollow frogs but not as many hookups as Ribbit types which get me just as many hits and more hookups.

Ribbits are heavier and cast better and further in stiff breezes also. 

• Like 1

Its a good frog..If it takes on some water, just squeeze it out.

If the legs fall off of the original frog, you can always just add a skirt and put any color you want instead of the action legs which seem to come off after a good strike or 2. They also tend to tangle on the hooks etc. but body is super soft and hook up ratio is good....I actually like the tiny frog with action legs, good little frog.

I have a huge collection of Frogs as I just like buying them and using different models. I love the Jackall Iobee Frog for $13 but it also takes on a ton of water, but has a different action than other frogs with more of an S type movement.

Many of my spro frogs take on Water, Megabass Frogs sink quicker than any other at $15 per frog, but when it floats it seems to get smashed when sitting still, but I have a hard time hooking up on that Pony Gabot Frog....

Pound for Pound..The Pad Crushers are possibly the best soft body hollow frog for the money. Next IMO would be the Live Target Frogs, I like the Strike King Frogs which are only $7, Terminator Frogs are also really good and have a harder body which is a plus at times.

Snagproof also makes some great frogs and not all that expensive. The Bobby's Perfect frog is one of my favorites, The Ish Poppin Frog has a pointed nose and is best popping frog for getting through cover and for walking....

Snagproof, Booyah, Strike King, Old River 2 sea Bully Wa, Terminator, and the $5 Lunker Hunt frog seems ok, but I would buy the Booyah for extra $1. You can also fix any frog that sinks, just put some glue on the bottom, but make sure you leave a spot for air to exit when it gets crushed so you get hooks exposed. 

My best Frog Fish last year came from a Jawbone Frog that would sink every 3rd cast, but you can fix them and they will work well for about a dozen fish and then be shot. Its a carbon copy of a semi popular frog that costs 3x price.

Threw one today for the first time in a long time... second cast caught this guy. Unlike my previous post on my first time using this frog, it stayed upright and had great action. Just give a little squeeze! and add super glue to the legs!

2n8vifl.jpg

900w12.jpg

On 4/17/2019 at 12:34 AM, gnappi said:

I got lots of hits on hollow frogs but not as many hookups as Ribbit types which get me just as many hits and more hookups.

Ribbits are heavier and cast better and further in stiff breezes also. 

Yes! I love throwing ribbits. So much fun.