Jump to content
Ksam1234

Back facing rod holders for kayak?

Recommended Posts

So I went out today for the first time on my nucanoe frontier. I had the black pack with the rod holders in it.. twice I casted and hooked one of my rods and lost my lure do to it snapping... not happy about that but love the boat, anyway.  Anyone know how to add on rod holders that face back or down so I don’t do this.. sorry mods not sure where I should put this either. Right now the holders are straight up and I don’t want to continue this trend lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took a look - if you're talking the Yak Attack BlackPak crate, you should be able to dismount the rod-holders and re-mount them in just about any position. Might drop it from 6 to 4 holders depending on the angle, but it'd work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MN Fisher said:

I took a look - if you're talking the Yak Attack BlackPak crate, you should be able to dismount the rod-holders and re-mount them in just about any position. Might drop it from 6 to 4 holders depending on the angle, but it'd work.

There is only 3 rod holders on the one I have. They just stick straight up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ksam1234 said:

There is only 3 rod holders on the one I have. They just stick straight up 

Is there room in the bay to mount two on one side, angled back, and one on the other? The pics I see show mounting holes all over the place on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MN Fisher said:

Is there room in the bay to mount two on one side, angled back, and one on the other? The pics I see show mounting holes all over the place on it.

On the kayak or the black pack? There is some holes on the black pack yehs. You think he yak attack holder holders would work.  They look like they face back? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ksam1234 said:

On the kayak or the black pack? There is some holes on the black pack yehs. You think he yak attack holder holders would work.  They look like they face back? 

How does the crate fit in the kayak bay? If you had tubes both sides of the crate, would it still fit in it's spot? If the tubes are singles and not a unit, you could dismount them and mount them differently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 6 holders on my Blackpak, mounted on the sides. 

Do you cast straight over your shoulder?  Or sidearm?  

 

I don't have that issue since I cast at about a 45 degree angle most of the time. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Key here is first time.  You need to adjust your casting stroke somewhat to accommodate for rod storage.  I personally hate having rods attached to my crate so i use angled back flush mounts and i rarely if ever hit them.  I also don't remember the last time i did a straight overhead cast while seated.  Standing i can cast however i want because i am generally higher u than any of the rods i am gonna hit.  

Go out a few more times before you make any changes.  You'll figure out what works for you and your style in your boat pretty quickly.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ksam1234 said:

I don’t want to continue this trend

You won't. I think most of us went through this when we first started fishing out of kayaks, I know I did. You'll learn to adapt, either when sitting or standing and you will not have to give up any of your favorite casting techniques. There are hundreds of YT videos of anglers fishing from yaks, some are good examples, some are bad, but spend time watching some of them for clues. I remember a time when I thought I'd never be able to flip/pitch from a sitting position, but now I'll go up against the best of them. It's a learning curve and you'll master it eventually.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As most folks responding have said, if fishing out of a kayak seems cumbersome at first, that's normal.  With a kayak, there will always be a compromise, either with the equipment or how you approach things.  I don't know about your specific kayak layout, but if it has them, rods in rear facing flush mounts tend to get in the way of casting less, though they make it a pain when you're carrying it.  Another nifty mounting solution is the Ram Tube 2008.  This mount will leave your rods higher, but you can adjust the angle.  Guys who troll for walleye and the like love them.  I made a crate a while back, and there's no way to adjust the rod holder angles.  I use my crate to carry pretty much everything but the paddle, so rods at other angles would make it less useful to me.  The point is that in order to make a kayak work, there have to be some compromises.

Crate.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CountryboyinDC said:

As most folks responding have said, if fishing out of a kayak seems cumbersome at first, that's normal.  With a kayak, there will always be a compromise, either with the equipment or how you approach things.  I don't know about your specific kayak layout, but if it has them, rods in rear facing flush mounts tend to get in the way of casting less, though they make it a pain when you're carrying it.  Another nifty mounting solution is the Ram Tube 2008.  This mount will leave your rods higher, but you can adjust the angle.  Guys who troll for walleye and the like love them.  I made a crate a while back, and there's no way to adjust the rod holder angles.  I use my crate to carry pretty much everything but the paddle, so rods at other angles would make it less useful to me.  The point is that in order to make a kayak work, there have to be some compromises.

Crate.JPG

I found the yak attack omega rod holders. They can swivel and move anyway. You can easily remove them and add them on any track system. And you can lay them down so the rods come out the back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2019 at 11:50 AM, Ksam1234 said:

I found the yak attack omega rod holders. They can swivel and move anyway. You can easily remove them and add them on any track system. And you can lay them down so the rods come out the back

I've got a couple of the Omega rod holders - the lower one with one pivot when they first came out and the one with 2 pivots.  The lower one was too low for my use; I couldn't get my longer handled rods out.  I use them on my front track rail.  I guess you could use them behind you, but you're definitely going to have to turn around to get them in and out.  The rods should stay put once you close the locking collar.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2019 at 8:50 AM, Ksam1234 said:

I found the yak attack omega rod holders. They can swivel and move anyway. You can easily remove them and add them on any track system. And you can lay them down so the rods come out the back

The omega or the omega pro? The extension arm on the pro makes it more versatile than the omega. The omega with the 8" extension arm would be another good option depending on mounting placement and desired angles.

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kjfishman said:

How did you mount them? They don’t go into the track system do they 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 6:19 AM, Ksam1234 said:

How did you mount them? They don’t go into the track system do they 

You can find surface mount, recess mount and track mount versions. I used surface mounts om my Loon 126.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 https://gatling-fishing.myshopify.com/

 

this company makes a pretty neat product. Not cheap, but definitely a cool and useful design. 

 

I had to move all my rod holders to the back of my crate, and off my starboard side of it, otherwise I’d hit rods on a side arm cast. 

 

I’d kill for a cheap way to easily and conveniently keep rods horizontally on my kayak. Actually been toying with the idea of installing a Hobie H rail on my boat so I can use their rod holder. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...