Allaroundfishing

91 Johnson 150hp cocerns/boat advice.

Ive heard that @Way2slow is the guy when it comes to older Omc motors, however i'm looking for some input, 

I am currently looking at boats, one i have in mind is a 91 ranger 481v it comes with a 91 Johnson 150 fast strike, the boat is exceptionally clean for its age, however the motor just had the power head rebuilt and even though it comes with a 1 year warranty im a little hesitant to pull the trigger. Is that something I should be worried about?? 

The boat is listed for 11,500 on the dealers website, it come with two fish finders (one Lowrance and one Humminbird) an 80 lb thrust Minnkota fortrex and a 3 bank charger. according to the Nada value its about right on but i have concerns with the hull, through pictures (i havent looked in person yet) the hull has no keel guard and some scratches on it like it was used to beach it up on sand or maybe even gravel, None of them look like theyre anything more than cosmetic though.

Just looking for yall's opinions and feed back 

Thanks, Austin

a91 was the first year of the 60 degree Eagle block.  91 and 92 motors were probably closer to 200hp than 150, until Mercury cried fowl when the 150 fast strike was running side by side with their 200's.  Now, was the motor rebuilt or did they install a remanufactured power head.   If it was rebuilt, then you have the good motor as far as horse power, "BUT" they had a casting problem in the block.  Where the voltage regulator mounts, the blocks were prone to crack and let water get into one of the top cylinders, cause the piston to melt down.  This was a high percentage failure for the early eagle blocks.   The right shop could tig weld them and they work fine afterwards, but you still had and engine to rebuild.

Other than that, the motors have a reputation for being very good motors.

As for the boat, I always recommend you have someone that knows what they are doing check the transom and floor for any signs of rot.  It only takes a couple of years for a bolt that's not properly sealed to let enough water in to destroy a transom.

That sounds like a lot of money for that old of a boat.  Shoot, I'm thinking of selling my 1999 Javelin Renegade 20DC with a 225 on it and thinking about asking only half that price for it.  After some surgery I had on my casting hand, I can no longer use most bait caster reels.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Way2slow said:

a91 was the first year of the 60 degree Eagle block.  91 and 92 motors were probably closer to 200hp than 150, until Mercury cried fowl when the 150 fast strike was running side by side with their 200's.  Now, was the motor rebuilt or did they install a remanufactured power head.   If it was rebuilt, then you have the good motor as far as horse power, "BUT" they had a casting problem in the block.  Where the voltage regulator mounts, the blocks were prone to crack and let water get into one of the top cylinders, cause the piston to melt down.  This was a high percentage failure for the early eagle blocks.   The right shop could tig weld them and they work fine afterwards, but you still had and engine to rebuild.

Other than that, the motors have a reputation for being very good motors.

So far as i know they rebuilt the powerhead.

so with these motors they sound like they were reliable with one big "BUT" as you said, should i bring this into consideration when talking to the dealer? Im fairly confident in my ability to check for rot and other major red flags, I agree that the price is up there but at the same time were talking a ranger boat, the gel coat looks amazing, the floor has no soft spots and the carpet is in pretty good condition, im definitely going to try my best to talk them down in price as i honestly dont see it being worth as much as listed but Ill bring up my concerns and if we make a deal we make a deal and if not theres always another boat.

Ranger doesn't use glassed over wood transums like other mfr's did in the late 80's to early 90's so dry rot shouldn't be an issue. That year Ranger is a heavy slower hull, battery compartment is a pain to access and rod lockers are short, other then those issues is a comfortable boat to fish out of. $11K is a serious price for a 28 year old boat, nothing over $8K would a good offer IMO.

Good luck,

Tom

PS, the debate between power and prop hp.

• Like 1